Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jul 8, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,891 of 4,314
During my first week of ownership I noticed the DMP has more work done with the upper frequencies, there’s a lot of sparkle and delicate notes have more energy. The low end on the TA is similar to the DMP, perhaps slightly less bloom. I’m chalking that up to the AK chipset. Can’t say much beyond this as I haven’t listened to the TA in depth for a long time.

Hmm such a hard decision while dmp is the big flagship right.
When I was at can jam NY I auditioned the dmp z1 and 1 major thing I couldnt accept was the bass. The bass on 1z is simply wow dmp was to lean and shy . It had definitely all the technical benefits but I didn't got sold on it and 1z was still a more fun. With 1z you ram and jam the music. Dmp z1 was to much audiophile maybe?

I definitely dont like the akm 4497 idea made by sony.
HEY where is the S-Master !

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #1,892 of 4,314
Jul 8, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,893 of 4,314
Oh yes, i remember that "lush" photo of your Stellia's....as you know another audio product i've got my eye on ! I think some have described the sound between the notes, as "black" is that your perception ?
I'm not sure what that means and sounds fairly subjective. What I can say is it's less glaring or less unforgiving than the Utopia's but still has that high resolution sound. There's a reason why I say the Stellia and DMPZ1 has the best synergy, outside of the MDR Z1R which was the headphone the DMP Z1 was developed with.

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,894 of 4,314
When I was at can jam NY I auditioned the dmp z1 and 1 major thing I couldnt accept was the bass. The bass on 1z is simply wow dmp was to lean and shy . It had definitely all the technical benefits but I didn't got sold on it and 1z was still a more fun. With 1z you ram and jam the music. Dmp z1 was to much audiophile maybe?

When you demo’d the DMP at canjam was that with the Trio or Noir? Coz with the Noir & 1960s cable the bass is huge on the dmp man! I reckon you’d love it :)

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,895 of 4,314
When you demo’d the DMP at canjam was that with the Trio or Noir? Coz with the Noir & 1960s cable the bass is huge on the dmp man! I reckon you’d love it :)

Was with trio at that time...
And also with gold plated silver wire... and it had only 4 wires lol

So yea tia noir would be a different ball game for sure.

But I think of it you have the wrong Tia Noir by the way LoL because it has a signature by Vitaliy on it hehe

You need mine ! The one that has tiger ears signature!

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #1,896 of 4,314

The 'Sony uses AKM, I'm disappointed' issue has been discussed at length by @Whitigir. In fact, I think he was the first to raise that point indignantly. But he owns/mods one now. Power consumption and size was the primary issue and Sony has done a great job considering the dev challenges. But I suggest you look at @Whitigir's comments earlier in this thread, he spoke with the designers about the AKM Issue and you should read it if you haven't already.

EDIT: Page 109

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,897 of 4,314
Was with trio at that time...
And also with gold plated silver wire... and it had only 4 wires lol

So yea tia noir would be a different ball game for sure.

But I think of it you have the wrong Tia Noir by the way LoL because it has a signature by Vitaliy on it hehe

You need mine ! The one that has tiger ears signature!

Lol, I never got the signature one. Just the regular Noir. The signature one was an extra AUD $2000:dizzy_face:

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,898 of 4,314
Lol, I never got the signature one. Just the regular Noir. The signature one was an extra AUD $2000:dizzy_face:

Haha someone tried to make me believe that it did sound better then the not signed one 😉🙃

Jul 8, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #1,900 of 4,314
Lol! If you can try the DMP-Z1 with your current IEM/Cable setup, you may have a different impression of the bass :wink:

Ok challenge accepted send me your dmp z1 to Montreal and tiger ears will take good listen to it hahaha

🙃🙃🙃🙃😊😇

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #1,903 of 4,314
It took a long time to Map out the upgrades for DMP Z1. Literally, every details are thought off from the Engineering teams, even down to the FT 3rd generation capacitors of Solid Polymer conductors type. These guys are custom made and ordered to specifications by Sony, and with the parameters that would surpass or close to normal liquid electrolytic types. Anyways, without torturing the DMP in pulling and replacing parts, the theories, mapped out thoughts ....etc...are all coming from my experiences of modifications from other devices, with carefully thought out of which specific sections, the how and why on the DMP.

In the end, there are not much to do in the DMP to bring upgrades to it, and while fooling around too much, it could even back fire. Therefore, what the DMP received are replacing the Nichicon Fine Gold series of coupling and decoupling caps into Silmic II by Elna, I love this caps, and would prefer it in any systems that I can. The rest of the upgrades are to replace OFC (oxygen Free Copper) wires from interconnect of signal lines, power supplies, and the main Power lines.

The improvements are better soundstage presentations, and fidelity. It was originally Excellent, and now has surpassed that marks in my own opinions. But even at this points, there will be different views and skeptical people to argues. Some people would said that they prefer Nichicon Fine Gold rather than Silmic II, and some even said that Cables don’t improve or change the sound characteristic.....etc....etc... and to every one who is this much skeptical out there, I would always agreed that the DMP is a marvelous piece of engineerings, and is the king of the Digital Music Player system in the modern date, and that it doesn’t need any “modifications“ to perform and shines better than many competitor.

However, to the Hardcore enthusiasts, upgraded cables do bring better performances, so upgrading from OFC into Better materials would elevate the performances, and the Coupling capacitors swaps are simply the personal preferences, and even Sony engineers has already stated this out loud, in analog amplifications, different usages of Coupling capacitors will bring different characteristics to the sound being performed, and therefore the Walkman WM1A/Z series has a DSP effects of DC-Phase Linearizer that mimics the different effects of different capacitors in use. The effect is observable, and more so in any upgraded Walkman (firmware and hardware wise).

So, this is what my journey has concluded , to make something the best to become better, and I am super duper happy with my DMP, and all in one system that can serve my HD800S well just as much as IER-Z1R, and the fact that I can bring it around the house or the office to enjoy is “pure bliss”

Thanks for sharing your journey Whitigir. So is this upgrade reversible? Can you come back using the original cables when needed?

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #1,904 of 4,314
I'm not sure what that means and sounds fairly subjective. What I can say is it's less glaring or less unforgiving than the Utopia's but still has that high resolution sound. There's a reason why I say the Stellia and DMPZ1 has the best synergy, outside of the MDR Z1R which was the headphone the DMP Z1 was developed with.

Sorry, i was referring to the "black" background of the DMP-Z1. I think someone also described it as "painting colours with sound". ( Just wish i could hear one..)

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #1,905 of 4,314
Thanks for sharing your journey Whitigir. So is this upgrade reversible? Can you come back using the original cables when needed?
it is non reversible, unless you are very DIY handy
Reversible only when you wanted to reverse the mod. There are some cables that is plug and plays, and some are soldered directly on. But all of them are OFC, except the headphones out that are KimberKables.
It takes a lot of works to perform all of these works. I don’t see the reason to reverse it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back