Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Apr 27, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #856 of 4,314
So I went ahead and purchased the DMP-Z1 and have had a chance to play with it a bit.

Still in the early stages of testing but one of the fun things I've done is gone back and forth between battery and AC mode with various headphones. Using battery power significantly reduces the noise floor with the IEMs that I've been testing. As someone very sensitive to any kind of background static or noise of any kind, this alone may have justified the cost of entry. I'm somewhat concerned about battery life and the possibility of the batteries degrading overtime but Sato-san assured me at Canjam that it is no different from the rest of the Walkman series - it will be easy to send the unit in for battery replacement should it be needed.

So far I have tried the Westone W80s and FitEar MH335DWs using the unbalanced connection. These are both highly efficient earphones so don't benefit as much from the added power but the Z1 adds separation and a cleanness to the music. Compared to some of my other players, it certainly isn't night and day but I would describe it as going from an A- experience to an A. It will take more critical listening determine further benefits and I look forward to trying the balanced connection and using the Z1 with some larger headphones (and will answer my own question about how the Z1 plays with the Stellia).

For anyone else that has the Z1, in some of the marketing materials they should two dials being displayed (displaying sound levels?) on the Z1's screen. I haven't been able to locate this display at all and couldn't find any reference to it in the product manual. Has anyone had any luck activating this display mode or was it something that only exists in marketing materials?

Congratulations for your purchase. Enjoy your new toy.

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #857 of 4,314
Had a brief session with the Stellias and the DMP-Z1 today and came away extremely impressed with the combination.

The Stellias were well powered and (as expected), there was plenty of low end power and slam, without being overwhelmingly bassy. Some headphones have a tendency to emphasize the upper/mid-bass registers but the Focals are more neutral in this regard and accurately convey the bass notes to be able to feel the music.

The resolving power of the headphones was what impressed me the most though. There was separation and clarity in the music without any trace of sibillance. One of the tracks that I often use to test music is the Theme from Jurassic Park - partly because I know it well and partly because it has great dynamic range. What shocked me as I listened to this track was not the music itself but what I could suddenly hear in the background - instruments and chairs shifting as the musicians started to get ready to play. I had never heard this detail before and had to listen to the track a few times before I realized what I was hearing!

Look forward to testing more but thought I would post these quick impressions.

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #858 of 4,314
"I haven't been able to locate this display at all and couldn't find any reference to it in the product manual."

Tap the toolbox icon on the bottom right to open the Settings menu, select the third option which is Change Playback Screen, the third option is Analog Level Meter which displays dual analog styled meters :point_up_2:

Thank you so much! That did the trick and completely missed this option!

May 1, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #859 of 4,314
Hi

Would like to share my impression with my new Sony DMP-Z1

My actual System:
AK SP1000 copper as streamer -> through USB-C to -> Sony DMP-1Z as DAC -> through NBS III single ended Chinch to -> STAX SRM-007tII powered by NBS III powercable -> STAX SR-007 Mk2 Headphone

Incredible better sound quality than AK SP1000 alone concerning both streaming audio and HD Files from the internal drive.

Until I bought the Sony DMP Z1 I prefered downloaded HD Files by all means and I extremely rately listened to streamed music.

But using the Astell & Kern as streaming resource and the Z1 as a DAC -> the world changed -> astonishing!!!

I have incredible fun and High End moments with Tidals HIFI sound quality through the mentioned hardware konfiguration.

Body and soul, power and warmth, fine, descrete details, clear and dirty if needed -> that is all to say about.

By the way -> best portable HighRES Player at the moment -> Sony DMP-Z1

The only problem I have at the moment - far too few time to listen to

May 1, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #860 of 4,314
Hi

My actual System:
AK SP1000 copper as streamer -> through USB-C to -> Sony DMP-1Z as DAC -> through NBS III single ended Chinch to -> STAX SRM-007tII powered by NBS III powercable -> STAX SR-007 Mk2 Headphone

Why the use of SP1000 as streamer? Wouldn't a big screen phone or pad better for navigation while offering the same quality USB out?

May 5, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #861 of 4,314
I have recently subsribed to Tidal hifi service. I used Tidal Adroid app on Huawei P20 pro and connect it to Z1 through bluetooth LDAC mode. The sound quality is sensational! Much better than Apple Music. LDAC has the transfer rate of 990Kbps, which is a lot better than aptX. Z1's support of LDAC along with other modes is such a plus and it makes life a lot easier. Strongly recommend those who have Z1 check with your phone to see if it support LDAC and try connecting to Z1 through this mode.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #862 of 4,314
Have tried connecting to the Z1 via LDAC and concur with the above. One wish would be if the Z1 could display the actual LDAC transfer rate the connection is currently operating at though? I understand that the max transfer rate is 990Kbps but the actual transfer rate could be less depending on stability of the connection?

May 5, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #863 of 4,314
Have tried connecting to the Z1 via LDAC and concur with the above. One wish would be if the Z1 could display the actual LDAC transfer rate the connection is currently operating at though? I understand that the max transfer rate is 990Kbps but the actual transfer rate could be less depending on stability of the connection?

I wish the same so that I can see the real bitrate of Tidal. I think even if the transfer rate of LDAC drops to something around 600Kbps, it's still OK as that's the birate of lossless FLAC format.

May 5, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #864 of 4,314
I have recently subsribed to Tidal hifi service. I used Tidal Adroid app on Huawei P20 pro and connect it to Z1 through bluetooth LDAC mode. The sound quality is sensational! Much better than Apple Music. LDAC has the transfer rate of 990Kbps, which is a lot better than aptX. Z1's support of LDAC along with other modes is such a plus and it makes life a lot easier. Strongly recommend those who have Z1 check with your phone to see if it support LDAC and try connecting to Z1 through this mode.

very interesting. this may solve the issue of lack of Wifi Streaming by the DMP-Z1 ! but... I wonder if streaming Tidal through BT is really as good as through USB-C and a High-End streaming device ?

Also, this very fast & good BT connection show that SONY could develop an APP to drive the playback, with the APP using BT connection instead of WiFi.

--> So pleasssseee... SONY, write us an iPAD or Android APP (like A&K Connect or Aurender's Conductor)

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #865 of 4,314
@nanaholic
vd984_sean_04.jpg

vd984_s_06.jpg

Holy hell that's heck of a multi kilobucks of stuffs to sling around!

IER Z1R tucked inside one of those pockets I can fathom. But to have the MDR Z1R hang like that just makes an alarm blaring in my head nonstop! Hahah :D

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #866 of 4,314
I think those connection bit rates are set using the source device rather than the receiver, check your phone/ DAP Bluetooth setting, you can put whether to choose LDAC quality or stability priority in it.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #867 of 4,314
With the A&K SP2000, SONY may have here a real competitor ! expecially if you consider that A&K offer WiFi streaming that the DMP-Z1 is lacking !

It will mark its debut this week at Munich.

10287372.png

May 7, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #868 of 4,314
So excited for the price war!

May 10, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #869 of 4,314
@nanaholic
vd984_sean_04.jpg

vd984_s_06.jpg

Holy hell that's heck of a multi kilobucks of stuffs to sling around!

IER Z1R tucked inside one of those pockets I can fathom. But to have the MDR Z1R hang like that just makes an alarm blaring in my head nonstop! Hahah :D

In 20 years time people will make fun of this.

May 10, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #870 of 4,314

Users who are viewing this thread

Back