Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Apr 19, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #841 of 4,314

As someone who is primarily two channel, and has heard, has owned, and currently
owns, streaming boxes from $5 to $25k - I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Sorry but to say that streaming cannot provide high fidelity listening is foolish.

I own, and have friends who own, two channel systems approaching 6 figures and above.
Since most of us are older, grew up COLLECTING and BUYING music (before CD's and digital even existed), and already own significantly large physical collections (in my case 7000 records and 3000 cd's) - we are not investing large sums in streaming boxes because "they are for convenience". Many of us have stopped buying CD's, continue to buy vinyl, and now use Tidal and Qobuz for our digital non analogue listening. We would not be doing it if our streaming boxes were not capable of exceeding our (expensive) CD players - and were only for convenience. We have too much invested in preamplifiers, amplifiers, and speakers to settle for a playback system which can only provide convenience. And - by the way - we also believe in SOURCE FIRST for system building so that is where we are putting the bulk of our funds. Convenience simply does not cut it.

Go to a hi end two channel shop and do a blind test of a ripped CD vs. a Tidal or Qobuz stream from the TOP two channel streaming boxes in the world. You will be quite surprised by the outcome.
@buzzlulu , do you have a combination streamer/dac/preamp/amp in your two channel system?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #842 of 4,314
@buzzlulu , do you have a combination streamer/dac/preamp/amp in your two channel system?

No I do not. I run the totl Naim 500 series separates - preamp and amplifier. Streamer is a Linn Klimax DS. Vinyl is top spec Linn LP12. Most of my friends run seperates as we are really traditional two channel users and do not run all in one boxes.

An integrated streamer/dac/preamp/amp could be something like one of the new Naim Uniti Atom/Nova/Star all which offer amazing all in one performance at not nose bleed prices - I seem to recall price ranges for the three units going from $3300-$6000-$8000 -so the totl all in one box is $8000 (comparable to the Sony). Each model offers quite a bit more in terms of functionality (can drive a set of speakers, headphone amp, large display screens, full Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, UpNp support, ability to connect external USB hard drive containing all of your digital files etc.) .

Linn has just released their version of the Naim Uniti line with comparable functionality. DCS has just released the Bartok (more expensive than the Sony). I am primarily UK HiFi (though I am in the States) however there are quite a few other brands out there doing the same.

Qualifier - I own the WM1Z Walkman and Z1R headphones (owned and sold the TA as well) so I have no bias vs. Sony.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #843 of 4,314
No I do not. I run the totl Naim 500 series separates - preamp and amplifier. Streamer is a Linn Klimax DS. Vinyl is top spec Linn LP12. Most of my friends run seperates as we are really traditional two channel users and do not run all in one boxes.

An integrated streamer/dac/preamp/amp could be something like one of the new Naim Uniti Atom/Nova/Star all which offer amazing all in one performance at not nose bleed prices - I seem to recall price ranges for the three units going from $3300-$6000-$8000 -so the totl all in one box is $8000 (comparable to the Sony). Each model offers quite a bit more in terms of functionality (can drive a set of speakers, headphone amp, large display screens, full Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, UpNp support, ability to connect external USB hard drive containing all of your digital files etc.) .

Linn has just released their version of the Naim Uniti line with comparable functionality. DCS has just released the Bartok (more expensive than the Sony). I am primarily UK HiFi (though I am in the States) however there are quite a few other brands out there doing the same.

Qualifier - I own the WM1Z Walkman and Z1R headphones (owned and sold the TA as well) so I have no bias vs. Sony.
I didn’t think so, my main point being, the higher end you go, the more separated are the different functions. Sony left streaming out of the Z1 intentionally. As much as I like Tidal, the circuitry required to use it could have degraded from the sound.
FYI, I had a Naim Uniti. I am now using Roon via a nuc into an Aesthetix dac.
But I do feel my remasters Kind of Blue at 192/24 sounds better than streaming.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #844 of 4,314
It wouldn't surprise me. Your remasters are 192/24. Streaming are only 44/16. Big difference - you need to compare apples to apples.....and not apples to oranges.

Which Uniti - Atom?

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #845 of 4,314
I didn’t think so, my main point being, the higher end you go, the more separated are the different functions. Sony left streaming out of the Z1 intentionally.

Ricky64
I have no problem with Sony leaving out streaming - my original post was not directed towards that.

I took issue with the comment

"streaming music services is for convenience, not high fidelity listening. You don't need a $8500 box for streaming music"

which I completely disagree with and chose to reply by illustrating what is currently going on in high end two channel.

By the way - the new brand Naim $25k ND555 and my current Linn Klimax DS both have streaming service integration built in (as well as many others). Trust me people are not spending this kind of money to slot these units into their two channel systems if they were only for convenience and not capable of high fidelity listening via the streaming services.

Now - if you are taking about Spotify streaming and convenience..... well that is a different story :)

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #848 of 4,314
Folks, apologize me for a TOTL noob question, is there any opportunity for someone to try the DMP-Z1 in the US or Canada? Or is there any Sony rep available on headfi?

Go to California, Thesource AV has it :)
Yup we got the DMP-Z1 on display and available for demo. One can typically walk in and find me wiping down the unit for fingerprints constantly.

Just spoke with Sony since we are constantly waiting on additional stock, looks like another small batch is coming into the country later this week.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #851 of 4,314
By the way, for those who happen to receive a gift of DMP Z1 from Japan (very lucky you) or for those who can't wait to get the official version in their country and ended up buying one in Japan (that's me), there is a way to change the language from Japanese to one of your liking. The nice developer at rockbox.org has updated their dest tool program to recognize DMP Z1. I used it successfully by choosing dest E and SPS off. Here's the page where you can find the tool: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool#Getting_the_tool

Thank you pamaury.

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #852 of 4,314
Has anyone had a chance to try the DMP-Z1 with the focal stellias yet? Very close to pulling the trigger and purchasing from my local Sony shop but unfortunately don't have a pair of Focal Stellias to bring in and try it directly!

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #853 of 4,314
Has anyone had a chance to try the DMP-Z1 with the focal stellias yet? Very close to pulling the trigger and purchasing from my local Sony shop but unfortunately don't have a pair of Focal Stellias to bring in and try it directly!

+1. Also very interested to know How the DMP-Z1 with the focal stellias sound.

Note: I read that The DMP-Z1 and the ABYSS Diana phi also offer a superbe combination.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #854 of 4,314
So I went ahead and purchased the DMP-Z1 and have had a chance to play with it a bit.

Still in the early stages of testing but one of the fun things I've done is gone back and forth between battery and AC mode with various headphones. Using battery power significantly reduces the noise floor with the IEMs that I've been testing. As someone very sensitive to any kind of background static or noise of any kind, this alone may have justified the cost of entry. I'm somewhat concerned about battery life and the possibility of the batteries degrading overtime but Sato-san assured me at Canjam that it is no different from the rest of the Walkman series - it will be easy to send the unit in for battery replacement should it be needed.

So far I have tried the Westone W80s and FitEar MH335DWs using the unbalanced connection. These are both highly efficient earphones so don't benefit as much from the added power but the Z1 adds separation and a cleanness to the music. Compared to some of my other players, it certainly isn't night and day but I would describe it as going from an A- experience to an A. It will take more critical listening determine further benefits and I look forward to trying the balanced connection and using the Z1 with some larger headphones (and will answer my own question about how the Z1 plays with the Stellia).

For anyone else that has the Z1, in some of the marketing materials they should two dials being displayed (displaying sound levels?) on the Z1's screen. I haven't been able to locate this display at all and couldn't find any reference to it in the product manual. Has anyone had any luck activating this display mode or was it something that only exists in marketing materials?

Apr 27, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #855 of 4,314
20190427_214704.jpg
"I haven't been able to locate this display at all and couldn't find any reference to it in the product manual."

Tap the toolbox icon on the bottom right to open the Settings menu, select the third option which is Change Playback Screen, the third option is Analog Level Meter which displays dual analog styled meters :point_up_2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back