Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Sep 11, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #346 of 4,470
There are some features that can be implemented into the OLED screen. For example, you could dimm the screen and after a while turn the screen of the prevent burn in. Or (Lenovo did this with their Laptops couple of years ago with the taskbar) you could move the elements on screen after x -minute of time to prevent burn in. Samsung also does this with their AOD-screens.

OLED is more expensive than LCD and implementing these kinds of features would cost extra R&D. But when you are asking 9000$ for an AMP/DAC. There really should be no excuses of cutting corners.

In the High-end market it's all about little details. When you have LCD that is constantly on, on black screen, you will notice the backlight bleed. (especially in dark room) And when the whole unit is mostly black. It stands out and also make it feel/look less premium.

LCD backlight bleed is not necessarily an issue. The WM1 series has one of the blackest LCD screen I've seen on players with almost no bleeding - even when the entire UI is based on a black background in comparsion to some which uses AMOLED (as some companies just love to boost the colour contrast to make the CD art "pop" on their AMOLED screen - a cheap and known tactic used in TV that shows up instantly when you have a black background). You have to look beyond the base tech and see how the execution actually came out. Just crying "dur LCD not OLED" is a lazy form of criticism.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #347 of 4,470
For longevity, I much prefer LCD over OLED.
OLED are better for TVs, and gadgets used under the sun.

I think it is perfectly sensible to have the DMP-Z1 utilising a LCD screen even at this price range. Just like the above poster said, don't just look at the specs, it's the execution that is more important.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #348 of 4,470
Regardless, battery will still be an issue for longevity. What do you do after 3-4 years ? Beside, let’s talk about sound quality and TP integrated amp chips ? Shall we ? I used to use Walkman that had 0 screen, the original Walkman. I do not care what screen it has, I do care a lot about sound quality.

Why an $8 device is using a cheap integrated amplifier chip instead of a discrete amplifiers? Even Burson can do a better job

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #349 of 4,470
Regardless, battery will still be an issue for longevity. What do you do after 3-4 years ? Beside, let’s talk about sound quality and TP integrated amp chips ? Shall we ? I used to use Walkman that had 0 screen, the original Walkman. I do not care what screen it has, I do care a lot about sound quality.

Why an $8 device is using a cheap integrated amplifier chip instead of a discrete amplifiers? Even Burson can do a better job

One less part to worry about? If I ever had one of these, they will be sitting nicely on my desk... forever... No way, I will be using them on the go. Therefore, the battery becomes less of a worry.

By the way, we are talking about screens now.

Sep 11, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #350 of 4,470
Battery will be a problem if you are using it on the go. 4-5 years from now, it will be depleted and reduced in capacity

You better use it on the desk, where you can option and choose to use AC - main power and run it with a Linear power supply instead, and as you don’t use battery, it will last longer that way

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #351 of 4,470
Battery will be a problem if you are using it on the go. 4-5 years from now, it will be depleted and reduced in capacity

You better use it on the desk, where you can option and choose to use AC - main power and run it with a Linear power supply instead, and as you don’t use battery, it will last longer that way

Yup, a quad mono fully regulated linear PSU will be totally awesome on this. To those who doesn't know, the Sennheiser HDVD-820 is also using the same integrated headphone chip.

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #352 of 4,470
Regardless, battery will still be an issue for longevity. What do you do after 3-4 years ?

Battery life is dependent upon two functions - the number of charge discharge cycles, and the sustaining voltage. If a Li-ion battery is not on a charge discharge cycle, and the sustaining voltage is low, then it will last for many years.

Sep 11, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #354 of 4,470
Battery life is dependent upon two functions - the number of charge discharge cycles, and the sustaining voltage. If a Li-ion battery is not on a charge discharge cycle, and the sustaining voltage is low, then it will last for many years.
I was regarding the scenarios where Skye is wanting to use it as a Walkman, it will see many charge and discharge

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #355 of 4,470
I was regarding the scenarios where Skye is wanting to use it as a Walkman, it will see many charge and discharge

Nope, I said I will not in my lifetime ever want to use this as a Walkman. If I ever decide purchase it, it will forever be bolted down onto a desk, where battery longevity will be less of an issue.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #356 of 4,470
Nope, I said I will not in my lifetime ever want to use this as a Walkman. If I ever decide purchase it, it will forever be bolted down onto a desk, where battery longevity will be less of an issue.
Do yourself a favor then and get something else instead. For an 8k pricetag, you can have a top end electrostatic system for the same price.

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #357 of 4,470
It'll be a shame if they haven't enabled analog and digital out via USB-C. I wonder whether anyone on the Walkman design team uses an Xperia phone?

Digital-out, yes I wish they will enable it but.... How can analog-out go through USB-C ?

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #359 of 4,470
Do yourself a favor then and get something else instead. For an 8k pricetag, you can have a top end electrostatic system for the same price.

Define a top end electrostatic system.
A Stax-009S is already 4600. Pair it with a "top end" electstat amp like a Blue Hawaii (which starts at 5999) and you've already blown the budget, and we haven't got a DAC yet.

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #360 of 4,470
Define a top end electrostatic system.
A Stax-009S is already 4600. Pair it with a "top end" electstat amp like a Blue Hawaii (which starts at 5999) and you've already blown the budget, and we haven't got a DAC yet.

Have u ever heard of a KGSSHV or KGST? Those can be had for $3000 or less as is 90% KGSSHV Carbon and BHSE. Buy a Yggy for $2.5k, and pick up a used SR009 for $2.5k. Easily done at that price point.

You can buy BHSE for $6k and Yggy and boom....your are at 8.5k and that $500 more than buying the Z1.

How about a KGSSHV Carbon for 4.6k and any $3.5k DAC and that's the same price as the Z1.

Do I need to go on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back