Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Feb 9, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #3,226 of 4,319
Did my last test of battery life this time High gain and DSD-RE ON 4 albums in 16/44.- and two in 24/96.

Got 6 hours 44 minutes

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #3,228 of 4,319
Why are you testing? To see if battery life is still optimal?
To t et eony claims and to see which combination is b st fo long time battery y life. DIRECT /DSD-RE OFF LOW GAIN gives moat battery

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #3,229 of 4,319
First, I know what the checjbox Battery preferred under Player settings does. If you have it checked (ticked) whenever you plug the AC cord the DMP will switch to Battery modus automatically. If you have it unticked and you plug the AC cord it will switch to AC Mode.

Second there is my esperience wuth Battery life tests under different usage scenarios, ALL UNDER DIRECT with either DSD-Remaster ON or OFF nad either High or normal Gain. Times are in HH:MM cumulative playtime with minimal screen fiddling unless noted by C)

GainDSD-RemasterPlay timeNotes
NormalOFF10:00 to 10:30A)
HighOFF7:00 to 8:30B), C)
NormalON8:30 to 9:30D)
HighON6:45 to 7:20B)

Notes:
A) Mostly (98%) of tracks were 16/44.1 FLAC file format
B) Some significant amount of 24-bit FLAC files in the mix (between 50% and 80% of tracks(, rest 16/44.1 FLAC
C) I fiddled with the screen too much, so probably one hour more, hence 8:30
D) A mic of all possible from FLAC 16/44.1 to 24/192 and DSD64 & DSD128

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #3,230 of 4,319
First, I know what the checjbox Battery preferred under Player settings does. If you have it checked (ticked) whenever you plug the AC cord the DMP will switch to Battery modus automatically. If you have it unticked and you plug the AC cord it will switch to AC Mode.

Second there is my esperience wuth Battery life tests under different usage scenarios, ALL UNDER DIRECT with either DSD-Remaster ON or OFF nad either High or normal Gain. Times are in HH:MM cumulative playtime with minimal screen fiddling unless noted by C)

GainDSD-RemasterPlay timeNotes
NormalOFF10:00 to 10:30A)
HighOFF7:00 to 8:30B), C)
NormalON8:30 to 9:30D)
HighON6:45 to 7:20B)

Notes:
A) Mostly (98%) of tracks were 16/44.1 FLAC file format
B) Some significant amount of 24-bit FLAC files in the mix (between 50% and 80% of tracks(, rest 16/44.1 FLAC
C) I fiddled with the screen too much, so probably one hour more, hence 8:30
D) A mic of all possible from FLAC 16/44.1 to 24/192 and DSD64 & DSD128
Captura de pantalla 2022-02-10 120718.png

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #3,231 of 4,319
Probably not. DMP seems like a one and done product.
I'm not so sure about that. I reckon there's still an extra 0.003% purity that could be added to the chassis material :xf_wink:

Just joking. I have to say though, one thing that I feel is not talked about much is the DSEE AI-based digital upsampling, which takes mp3 and 16-bit FLAC tracks and makes them sound like hi-res audio files. It makes a noticeable difference on my WM1Z.

Plus, whilst at least 30% of my collection is in hi-res 24 bit FLAC, and most of the rest in 16 bit FLAC, there's a bunch of songs I have - Chinese pop music, original early 80's Hip Hop (the Streetsounds Electro series from the UK if anyone else here knows it!) - that I can't get in any better format than mp3, I really appreciate this function enormously.
And that's on top of just making all my non-hi-res 16 bit FLAC albums sound better too.

I was very much a non-DSP kind of person, but the Sony DAPs have really changed my mind about that.
And I read on the new WM1ZM2 page that they've now improved the DSEE as well.
Not sure if that will be rolled out to the old WM1Z as well, but I hope so?

Anyway, my point about all this, is that if/when I have the money, I would seriously consider the DMP-Z1 if only because it takes all that stunning hardware, and adds that DSEE goodness onto it as well, making it an absolute no-brainer winner for me. Hopefully I can get one secondhand in future.
Or Sony releases an even more upgraded version. One can only dream :D

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #3,232 of 4,319
I'm not so sure about that. I reckon there's still an extra 0.003% purity that could be added to the chassis material :xf_wink:

Just joking. I have to say though, one thing that I feel is not talked about much is the DSEE AI-based digital upsampling, which takes mp3 and 16-bit FLAC tracks and makes them sound like hi-res audio files. It makes a noticeable difference on my WM1Z.

Plus, whilst at least 30% of my collection is in hi-res 24 bit FLAC, and most of the rest in 16 bit FLAC, there's a bunch of songs I have - Chinese pop music, original early 80's Hip Hop (the Streetsounds Electro series from the UK if anyone else here knows it!) - that I can't get in any better format than mp3, I really appreciate this function enormously.
And that's on top of just making all my non-hi-res 16 bit FLAC albums sound better too.

I was very much a non-DSP kind of person, but the Sony DAPs have really changed my mind about that.

Anyway, my point about all this, is that if/when I have the money, I would seriously consider the DMP-Z1 if only because it takes all that stunning hardware, and adds that DSEE goodness onto it as well, making it an absolute no-brainer winner for me. Hopefully I can get one secondhand in future.
I have 16% of my library in Hi-res more than 200 apbums are Hi-res FLAC and around 150 are DSD albums. Rest of collection (3200+ albums) are 16/44.1 FLAC… so 399 albums in total are Hi-Res audio

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #3,233 of 4,319

The only things that Sony could do would be the use of the new FTCAP3 or a new DAC (The AK4497 is quite outdated) or switch to the S-Master HX

I read that the new S-Master HX in the SA-Z1 no longer uses MOSFET but GaN and according to Sony, this improved the output power by a lot. It is still an D.A. Hybrid Amp, but the Analog Amp is, as they said in the developer interview, almost no longer needed.

The S-Master HX in the SA-Z1 outputs 106W in total, so assume, but that is just an assumption, that it could be possible to build an DMP-Z1 with the S-Master HX and 1500mW @ 16Ω Output power without an Hybrid Amp due to the GaN.

S-Master HX + FTCAP3 + Android could be enough to justify an upgrade to the current DMP-Z1, but the device is, in the Sony world, quite new. It was released 2018 so i'd say we'd have to wait two more years for that.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #3,234 of 4,319
SO…
Just had more detailed info :

BATTERY, LITHIUM ION STORAGE.
HOLDER ANALOG BATTERY ASSY.
SVX MAIN PC BOARD ASSY.

SO….,BIG NEWS…..potentially, for all DMP-Z1 owners…..I decided to ring Sony repair centre, to chase up the repair of my player, to be told, the replacement parts are no longer available. ( I honestly don’t know if this is a location issue, being in the U.K. ?? )

I’ve been told a replacement is on order, which is due in on February 17th. I said, “Could you reassure me that there will be no problem sourcing a replacement” ? She said there should be no problem. ( I’ll be relieved when they confirm that they are sending the replacement. )

It does leave that very important question - what happens if the same thing happens again, or other parts are needed, when they are no longer available & this is out of warranty ??

Feb 10, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #3,235 of 4,319
SO…

SO….,BIG NEWS…..potentially, for all DMP-Z1 owners…..I decided to ring Sony repair centre, to chase up the repair of my player, to be told, the replacement parts are no longer available. ( I honestly don’t know if this is a location issue, being in the U.K. ?? )

I’ve been told a replacement is on order, which is due in on February 17th. I said, “Could you reassure me that there will be no problem sourcing a replacement” ? She said there should be no problem. ( I’ll be relieved when they confirm that they are sending the replacement. )

It does leave that very important question - what happens if the same thing happens again, or other parts are needed, when they are no longer available & this is out of warranty ??
If it is out of warrenty and can't be repaired, they'll offer you an replacement DMP-Z1 for an discount price of roughly 30-50% (you have to send in your broken one of course)

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #3,237 of 4,319
If it is out of warrenty and can't be repaired, they'll offer you an replacement DMP-Z1 for an discount price of roughly 30-50% (you have to send in your broken one of course)
Will it be the same for other products, like DAPs or IEMs?

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #3,238 of 4,319
Exactly yes. At least at Sony Japan, that is the normal procedure.

If a product is out of warranty and you send it in for repair and it can't be repaired for whatever reason, they'll offer you an replacement for an discount.

But, and i totally forgot to mention that, i only know about this procedure at Sony Japan. Because pretty much all Sony gear i own was imported from Japan, i only know about how they handle it, not how it is done in general.

But i had a similar case with an Microsoft Surface Book and Microsoft did roughly the same. The SurfaceBook was broken (out of support) and they offered an replacement for an discount. So this seems to be a common practice (at least in Japan)

When my XBA-Z5 had an damaged filter, they did the same. And someone who broke the MMCX connectors of his IER-Z1R told me the same.

But there is no law or a contract. They do it because they want to keep customers, its goodwill and common practice. As long you're friendly and polite, they'll most likely offer it but i guess you can't demand it

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #3,239 of 4,319
All parts remain in stock up to 7 years after the product is discontinued

Users who are viewing this thread

Back