Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
May 1, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,696 of 4,314
At that price it’s worth it :)

what I meant in my comment on the TA thread is that you can get very close to the DMP sound with the TA, at a much cheaper price. So from a rational (non-audiophile :p) point of view, the DMP-Z1 isn’t worth it the $8k price tag. But, we all know that this hobby is completely irrational and we pay crazy amounts of money for those slight improvements :) and you will get an improvement from the DMP. Plus it’s portable!

As i think you are aware @Damz87 i have the TA / Sony MDR-Z1 combo & i wouldn't sell them, but i can't stop thinking i'd love to hear the DMP-Z1 & i feel i'm missing a very good opportunity here, if i don't take it......you didn't listen to any MJ then ! ?? :beyersmile:

Yes, in agreement....i mulled over for years, literally, "Can i spend so much on the TA" ?? Then i did....didn't regret it at all....then quite sometime later, "Could i justify buying the Z1R's ??.....eventually caved in...don't regret that, at all.....you see a pattern developing here....?:beyersmile:

May 1, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #1,697 of 4,314
As i think you are aware @Damz87 i have the TA / Sony MDR-Z1 combo & i wouldn't sell them, but i can't stop thinking i'd love to hear the DMP-Z1 & i feel i'm missing a very good opportunity here, if i don't take it......you didn't listen to any MJ then ! ?? :beyersmile:

Yes, in agreement....i mulled over for years, literally, "Can i spend so much on the TA" ?? Then i did....didn't regret it at all....then quite sometime later, "Could i justify buying the Z1R's ??.....eventually caved in...don't regret that, at all.....you see a pattern developing here....?:beyersmile:

Haha, I haven’t yet listened to MJ but I will for sure. But, if you get the DMP, you can hear MJ for yourself anyway?! :D

I would probably sell the TA if it weren’t for the pre-out function. Love the TA sound with speakers

May 1, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,698 of 4,314
Haha, I haven’t yet listened to MJ but I will for sure. But, if you get the DMP, you can hear MJ for yourself anyway?! :D

I would probably sell the TA if it weren’t for the pre-out function. Love the TA sound with speakers

THIS, is the reason i'd NEVER part with my TA....with pre-out, speaker function, just simply suberb.....you're just trying to get me to pull that trigger.....and i'm pretty close to it...:slight_smile:

May 1, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,699 of 4,314
The reason why DMP Z1 has no Pure Line Out is that Sony engineers just want it to dedicate to 1 single specific job

to drive headphones while minimizing the noises

So, anything additional between signals line and amp boards will have the potentials to introduce noises....

anyways, there are Nodes and Pads on the Board to make Line out from DMP Z1....by modifications LoL

May 1, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #1,702 of 4,314
Just to ease any concerns regarding supersonido, i´ve bought stuff from them in the past without any issues!
Basically any shop or dealer can make the promotions with these prices just by cutting the profit margin...i´ve been buying high end stuff from dealers in Europe with prices way below the pvp...so it´s just a matter of always looking for the best deal...and in this case supersonido has the best price!
Not that i care since the DMP doesn´t suit my needs, since i mostly use my studio monitors, headphones only at night..
Only shared the link for you guy´s that were looking for the best price!

May 1, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,703 of 4,314
The reason why DMP Z1 has no Pure Line Out is that Sony engineers just want it to dedicate to 1 single specific job

to drive headphones while minimizing the noises

So, anything additional between signals line and amp boards will have the potentials to introduce noises....

anyways, there are Nodes and Pads on the Board to make Line out from DMP Z1....by modifications LoL

Also every audiophile will claim that the sound of a system is the DAC+amp, and a Line Out is taking the signal from the DAC while bypassing the amp.

So when you say you want a Line Out in the DMP-Z1 is like saying you like the sound of the DMP-Z1, while also removing an essential part of what created that sound in the first place, it doesn't make sense and is contradictory.

May 2, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #1,704 of 4,314
Also every audiophile will claim that the sound of a system is the DAC+amp, and a Line Out is taking the signal from the DAC while bypassing the amp.

So when you say you want a Line Out in the DMP-Z1 is like saying you like the sound of the DMP-Z1, while also removing an essential part of what created that sound in the first place, it doesn't make sense and is contradictory.

I'm still debating whether to take the opportunity to purchase the DMP-Z1, with the above excellent price.....what i hope is to replicate....is the same resolution / quality of sound i get from my TA - pre-out / speaker system. Would you say the DMP-Z1 is like having speakers "in your head", so to speak ! ??
There's times just lately, when i feel that i don't always think "My TA / MDR-Z1R's don't sound so great today" ??.....i don't know if that's down to my mood, or what i'm actually listening to ?? Do you ever think like that about the DMP-Z1 ??....i.e. "This doesn't sound so good today" ??

May 2, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #1,705 of 4,314
I'm still debating whether to take the opportunity to purchase the DMP-Z1, with the above excellent price.....what i hope is to replicate....is the same resolution / quality of sound i get from my TA - pre-out / speaker system. Would you say the DMP-Z1 is like having speakers "in your head", so to speak ! ??
There's times just lately, when i feel that i don't always think "My TA / MDR-Z1R's don't sound so great today" ??.....i don't know if that's down to my mood, or what i'm actually listening to ?? Do you ever think like that about the DMP-Z1 ??....i.e. "This doesn't sound so good today" ??
Your symptoms is diagnosed to be “upgradatis”

that means you are simply get used to your gears, and now is itching to find something news. It doesn’t always have to be an upgrade, any side-grade will do, but you need new toys

will DMP-Z1 really sound that good ? It sounds better than TA to my experiences, how much better and will it be worth it ? That is upto you to decide

Do I ever think about “my DMP isn’t so good today ?” Yes, I do and heck....even my stereos gives me that feeling, and it is normal “upgradatis” stuff....however, there are no side-grade to DMP kinds....let alone upgrades. I don’t see any other company to be able to build something of the DMP caliber anytime soon .... do you ?

May 2, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #1,707 of 4,314

If you want speaker-like experience, you have to get speakers.
Headphones and speakers are two different things, there's a physical limit to how much "space" headphones can create, and a DAC is not going to help in any of that regard.

May 2, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,708 of 4,314
Your symptoms is diagnosed to be “upgradatis”

that means you are simply get used to your gears, and now is itching to find something news. It doesn’t always have to be an upgrade, any side-grade will do, but you need new toys

will DMP-Z1 really sound that good ? It sounds better than TA to my experiences, how much better and will it be worth it ? That is upto you to decide

Do I ever think about “my DMP isn’t so good today ?” Yes, I do and heck....even my stereos gives me that feeling, and it is normal “upgradatis” stuff....however, there are no side-grade to DMP kinds....let alone upgrades. I don’t see any other company to be able to build something of the DMP caliber anytime soon .... do you ?

I think i must be suffering from that ! ?.....but i blame ALL the owners, like yourself, filling me with "must hear" thoughts ! :slight_smile:

Price is back up at 7499,- ...

That's a shame, perhaps puts my decision on hold....i knew i'd regret it, not ordering yesterday.....i'll see how you get on my friend....and hopefully they will have another reduction sometime ??

If you want speaker-like experience, you have to get speakers.
Headphones and speakers are two different things, there's a physical limit to how much "space" headphones can create, and a DAC is not going to help in any of that regard.

Yes, i think i'm imagining the impossible ! ( but i think one owner did post a "speaker like in the head experience"....or i've imagined it ! ??

May 2, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #1,709 of 4,314
I think i must be suffering from that ! ?.....but i blame ALL the owners, like yourself, filling me with "must hear" thoughts ! :slight_smile:

That's a shame, perhaps puts my decision on hold....i knew i'd regret it, not ordering yesterday.....i'll see how you get on my friend....and hopefully they will have another reduction sometime ??

Yes, i think i'm imagining the impossible ! ( but i think one owner did post a "speaker like in the head experience"....or i've imagined it ! ??
Who ? There is no such thing as headphones with speakers like experiences lol!....even a nearfield will bring the soundstage beyond any heapdhones imaginations.....details retrieval’s aside though

May 2, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,710 of 4,314
Who ? There is no such thing as headphones with speakers like experiences lol!....even a nearfield will bring the soundstage beyond any heapdhones imaginations.....details retrieval’s aside though

I can't recall and i do have a condition that affects cognitive function, so i possibly got it wrong, or the wording wrong ??....may have been @coolhand post, but again i could be wrong, again ! ( & apologies to @coolhand if i am ! ? )

I know....i just wanted to get that kind of feeling....i've had the "i haven't heard anything this good with my TA / MDR-Z1R's....but like you say, i'm probably just suffering from "upgradatis".....just WANT to hear it ! After all the positive feedback from owners...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back