Official Shmup Thread!
Apr 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #61 of 144
Mobile Light Force is actually a fantastic schmup for PS1. Honestly the best place to.get schmups for PS1 right now is the Playstation Network via PSP or PS3.

They rereleased a lot of previously Japan only stuff all of which are less than 10 bucks. PS3 also got the Gundemonium (?) collection which. enjoyed a lot.

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #62 of 144
Ok. Harmful Park and Mobile Light Force. Does anyone know of more good PSX shmups?

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #65 of 144

Quote:
Einhander, RayStorm.

I definitely agree with Einhander. I would recommend DoDonPachi and Soukyugurentai Otokuyo, but I do not know if the PS1 ports are any good.

Are there any other consoles you are looking for shmups on? MAME is a great PC option.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #67 of 144
Quote:
Mobile Light Force is actually a fantastic schmup for PS1. Honestly the best place to.get schmups for PS1 right now is the Playstation Network via PSP or PS3.
They rereleased a lot of previously Japan only stuff all of which are less than 10 bucks. PS3 also got the Gundemonium (?) collection which. enjoyed a lot.

Really? I'm apparently totally out of the loop on this, as I haven't checked PSN in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

[rushes off to buy games]

Quote:
Ok. Harmful Park and Mobile Light Force. Does anyone know of more good PSX shmups?

I have to echo the R-type and Einhander recommendations. I haven't yet played delta, but I've played almost every other game in the series, and most of them are fantastic. As for Einhander, it's really just a phenomenal shooter, and I still play the original via PS3. Unfortunately I wasn't as into shooters when I was younger, so I can't give any more recommendations.

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #69 of 144

Quote:
Most of them will be in the PS1 Imports section. Enjoy.

What section are you talking about?

EDIT: About MAME, that is a whole separate situation I'll give focus later on, but right now I'm just enriching my PSX library with good to great games.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #71 of 144
Okay, so I just got my Saturn emulator working (finally), and started playing Radiant Silvergun. LOOOOOVE IT.

I'll check out the PSN titles shortly.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #72 of 144

Quote:
Okay, so I just got my Saturn emulator working (finally), and started playing Radiant Silvergun. LOOOOOVE IT.

I'll check out the PSN titles shortly.

You do NOT want to play shmups on a Saturn emulator. I use SSF, and shmups have ridiculous input lag with it. Like 1/2 a second lag. Fine for RPGs though. :) I use my real Saturn for shmups that aren't available via MAME or on the 360 or whatever.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #73 of 144
Quote:
You do NOT want to play shmups on a Saturn emulator. I use SSF, and shmups have ridiculous input lag with it. Like 1/2 a second lag. Fine for RPGs though. :) I use my real Saturn for shmups that aren't available via MAME or on the 360 or whatever.

Really? I'm not noticing any lag. I'll do some tests and report back on this.

I'm using Yabause, by the way.

EDIT: Yeah, I get no lag at all. Or at least none that affects my play. I can time shots perfectly, and movement is instantaneous. I'm not sure why you're having trouble.

Then again, my computer uses very modern components and is very powerful, and I'm playing at low graphical settings.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #74 of 144
OK, I just passed a $70 order on focusattack.com, that should yield me a fun to use stick hopefully 
smile.gif

I guess adding a LS32 spring and an octo gate to the JLF will be a lot more responsive than stock indeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytcbzZmXaI

I've also damped every cavity of my huge stick w/ foam, no more loud plasticky resonances anymore...more pics to come when I'll have it all working, I will also need to drill the LS58 plate in order to make it fit the JLF screw holes.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #75 of 144
Quote:
OK, I just passed a $70 order on focusattack.com, that should yield me a fun to use stick hopefully 
smile.gif

I guess adding a LS32 spring and an octo gate to the JLF will be a lot more responsive than stock indeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytcbzZmXaI

I've also damped every cavity of my huge stick w/ foam, no more loud plasticky resonances anymore...more pics to come when I'll have it all working, I will also need to drill the LS58 plate in order to make it fit the JLF screw holes.

Nice. My alternate LS-58 plates just came in... and don't quite fit.

Suffice to say I'm frustrated. However, I have access to a machine shop, so it should be a simple matter to open up the holes a bit more. In the meantime, the stick does fit in, albeit at a very slight angle with only three screws, and it is an INFINITE IMPROVEMENT over the JLF. SOOOOOO much more responsive I don't even have words.

My impressions might change with time, but I doubt it. It feels much nicer than I had expected. The octo gate was also definitely worth the investment-- I liked the square okay, but this just feels 'right'.

I still need to damp mine... I wish I could find my acoustic foam. That stuff was awesome.

What color buttons did you end up getting?

Do give your impressions on the modded JLF, btw. I'm interested to hear how that works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back