Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Nov 24, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #3,286 of 3,690
I haven't used my solid-state amp since I got the Vali 2++ at the end of September. I put a couple of hours on it last night. Like you, the new tube will probably keep my other amp sitting on the sidelines for a while longer.
Same here. I've had an Asgard 3 for a long time and I'm thinking about selling it because I like this little amp better.

Nov 24, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #3,287 of 3,690
Same here. I've had an Asgard 3 for a long time and I'm thinking about selling it because I like this little amp better.
I have a Magni Piety on order. First solid-state amp I've purchased in many, many years. Be interested to see how it stacks up to the Vali 2.

Nov 24, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #3,288 of 3,690
…..a ‘bcowensque’ thought…..😳🤔😄 ….. putting a General Western Electric 396A / 2C51 ($180+) in Vali 2++ ($149). I have been using the WE w/adapters in Woo Audio WA2: absolutely stunning! …Vali 2++ for getaway Laurel Mountains house …

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #3,290 of 3,690
…..a ‘bcowensque’ thought…..😳🤔😄 ….. putting a General Western Electric 396A / 2C51 ($180+) in Vali 2++ ($149). I have been using the WE w/adapters in Woo Audio WA2: absolutely stunning! …Vali 2++ for getaway Laurel Mountains house …
The thought has crossed my mind too. Buying a Western Electric 396A used that test strong would be an option for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 24, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #3,291 of 3,690
I have a Magni Piety on order. First solid-state amp I've purchased in many, many years. Be interested to see how it stacks up to the Vali 2.
Do share when you get it. The quick skim I did on "the site that can't be mentioned" seemed to imply the Piety was tubier sounding than the V2

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #3,293 of 3,690
Hello tubers,

Last year I was tasked with a difficult choice between the Magni 3+ and the Vali 2+ (which had just released back then). It was my choice of first amp and I think I made the right choice going with a SS. This year I have procured the funds to potentially obtain the Vali 2++. I would like to try tube, even though this is a hybrid. Unfortunately, I have heard that the Magni 3+ and the Vali 2+/+ sounds nearly identical. This could be an issue since I don't want to shell out me hard earned dollaros on more of just the same. Even if I were to change the tube: I don't want to spend a lot on an aftermarket tube.

What r ur opinions, tubemeisters? Please be as unbiased as can be and let me know!

-cheese

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #3,294 of 3,690
I've read posts that stated that the Western Electric 396A made the Vali 2++ sound too tubey :)
It certainly does not have that effect with Woo WA2.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #3,295 of 3,690
It certainly does not have that effect with Woo WA2.
I'll have to try one out. I'm not sure what defines "too tubey". I've owned a Fisher 500C, Fisher X-100-C, and currently use a Harman Kardon A500 integrated tube amp. I like the tube sound. Too bad the Vali 2++ doesn't use a 12ax7. I have accumulated dozens of those over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 24, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #3,296 of 3,690
I've read posts that stated that the Western Electric 396A made the Vali 2++ sound too tubey :)
The WE 396A is an awesome tube, but it doesn't light my fire in the OG Vali 2. While the mids are glorious, the bass is a bit too rounded and although the highs are extended enough they seem a bit dialed down in the mix. Note that's just my impression with my gear. I haven't heard the Vali 2+ (or the 2++), but many impressions I've seen describe the 2+ as a bit brighter/leaner sounding than the OG, so the 396A might be a very nice fit in it.

This is still my favorite tube in the OG Vali. @jonathan c made me buy it. I hated him for it when I placed the order, but then reversed course and loved him once I got the tube. 🤣 Silly to spend this much on a tube for a $149 amp? Well, probably, but that's never stopped me before and probably won't in the future. :slight_smile:

https://pulsetubestore.com/products...4-12at7-factory-tested-plug-play-ready-to-use

Vali with Footscray.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #3,297 of 3,690
Hello tubers,

Last year I was tasked with a difficult choice between the Magni 3+ and the Vali 2+ (which had just released back then). It was my choice of first amp and I think I made the right choice going with a SS. This year I have procured the funds to potentially obtain the Vali 2++. I would like to try tube, even though this is a hybrid. Unfortunately, I have heard that the Magni 3+ and the Vali 2+/+ sounds nearly identical. This could be an issue since I don't want to shell out me hard earned dollaros on more of just the same. Even if I were to change the tube: I don't want to spend a lot on an aftermarket tube.

What r ur opinions, tubemeisters? Please be as unbiased as can be and let me know!

-cheese
The thing is is that there is some difference. Even you say « nearly identical », not « identical ». But it’s not really a lot.

I would say just try to forget about it, but won’t that be hard ? Wouldn’t you be curious to hear with your own ears how much of a difference there is ? But if you can just forget about it and enjoy your Magni 3+, consider yourself lucky.

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #3,298 of 3,690
The thing is is that there is some difference. Even you say « nearly identical », not « identical ». But it’s not really a lot.

I would say just try to forget about it, but won’t that be hard ? Wouldn’t you be curious to hear with your own ears how much of a difference there is ? But if you can just forget about it and enjoy your Magni 3+, consider yourself lucky.
It won't be hard to forget about it for I still enjoy the Magni. I'll wait for the next iteration or an actually OTL that interests me. Thanks for the reply!

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #3,299 of 3,690
The WE 396A is an awesome tube, but it doesn't light my fire in the OG Vali 2. While the mids are glorious, the bass is a bit too rounded and although the highs are extended enough they seem a bit dialed down in the mix. Note that's just my impression with my gear. I haven't heard the Vali 2+ (or the 2++), but many impressions I've seen describe the 2+ as a bit brighter/leaner sounding than the OG, so the 396A might be a very nice fit in it.

This is still my favorite tube in the OG Vali. @jonathan c made me buy it. I hated him for it when I placed the order, but then reversed course and loved him once I got the tube. 🤣 Silly to spend this much on a tube for a $149 amp? Well, probably, but that's never stopped me before and probably won't in the future. :slight_smile:

https://pulsetubestore.com/products...4-12at7-factory-tested-plug-play-ready-to-use

Vali with Footscray.jpg
love that stand. what is it? thanks!

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #3,300 of 3,690

Vali with Footscray.jpg
It’s a fantastic tube in Icon Audio HP8 and in LTA MZ3 also !! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back