Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jul 20, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #1,471 of 3,702
  what headphones do you guys think pairs well w/ vali2 besides hd6x0 and beyers? looking for a complement to hd600 but beyer sound too lean for me, same w/ grado i think, anything on the warmer side you guys can recommend? tried the he400s too but didnt like that either

If you're looking for a nice fat rich sound that pairs well with the Vali2, Let me recommend the PSB M4U1 or NAD HP50 (almost the same headphone, sister companies, both cans designed by speaker wizard Paul Barton). 

My NAD HP50s with a Philips PCC88 sourced off of a modi 2 is a magical combination.. The synergy is crazy good. Great compliment to my Senn HD650s which I tend to use with my '57 miniwatt PCC88.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #1,472 of 3,702
By the way folks, don't bother contacting Schiit about tube compatibility with the Vali2. Shortly after I bought my V2 I asked about a certain tube and Nick told me to research tubes in places like Head-Fi.org. Last week I asked about a couple of other tubes and haven't heard back from them. I re-sent the email earlier this week...notta, nothing. Nice, eh? Not a great way to treat a good customer (Magni, Modi, Magni 2U, SYS, Bifrost Uber, 4490 card and Bifrost MB).

Conversely Jeremy from Garage 1217 promptly answered all, of my tube questions and I haven't bought a thing from him...YET.

G1217's customer service is legendary.

I even emailed Jeremy one Christmas Day early in the morning, not expecting a reply for at least 2 days, and had a response within an hour.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #1,473 of 3,702

G1217's customer service is legendary.

I even emailed Jeremy one Christmas Day early in the morning, not expecting a reply for at least 2 days, and had a response within an hour.

Honestly, I've done the same with Nick and have gotten responses right away.
@Tuneslover I saw you post this message in an other forum. My guess is that Nick probably doesn't know how to answer your questions. That is ZERO excuse for not responding but, my guess is that's why he hasn't (again, I'm not giving him a free pass here). Tubes are so subjective... Best thing to do IS research them here on these forums. I'd be leerily of any amp manufacture that gave a thumbs up or thumbs down on a tube, quite frankly. It's hard enough for me to parse what people in these forums say about tubes without amp manufactures getting in the mix. The hardware they make is their world. The tubes we rolls is ours... that's on us (imo) to figure out. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #1,474 of 3,702

Honestly, I've done the same with Nick and have gotten responses right away.
@Tuneslover I saw you post this message in an other forum. My guess is that Nick probably doesn't know how to answer your questions. That is ZERO excuse for not responding but, my guess is that's why he hasn't (again, I'm not giving him a free pass here). Tubes are so subjective... Best thing to do IS research them here on these forums. I'd be leerily of any amp manufacture that gave a thumbs up or thumbs down on a tube, quite frankly. It's hard enough for me to parse what people in these forums say about tubes without amp manufactures getting in the mix. The hardware they make is their world. The tubes we rolls is ours... that's on us (imo) to figure out. 

Wise words, Eric.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,475 of 3,702
By the way folks, don't bother contacting Schiit about tube compatibility with the Vali2. Shortly after I bought my V2 I asked about a certain tube and Nick told me to research tubes in places like Head-Fi.org. Last week I asked about a couple of other tubes and haven't heard back from them. I re-sent the email earlier this week...notta, nothing. Nice, eh? Not a great way to treat a good customer (Magni, Modi, Magni 2U, SYS, Bifrost Uber, 4490 card and Bifrost MB).

Conversely Jeremy from Garage 1217 promptly answered all, of my tube questions and I haven't bought a thing from him...YET.

Maybe a bad week for Nick? Always had quick and helpful responses from Nick.

Website does give tube compatibility guidance: "...a lot of other options out there, including 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 2492, and even more. Pretty much any tube with a 6DJ8 pinout, 6V heater, and 600mA or less of heater current will work fine in Vali 2."

Tube compatibility is a fairly large topic and is probably better researched on a forum like Head-Fi. See this LYR & LYR2 COMPATIBILITY CHART:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list#post_11328343    

Lyr1, like the Vali2 and the Valhalla2, has the capability of handling heater current up to ~600mA. There are also other tube options available via pinout adapters.
Hope that helps. If you have specific questions that are not addressed elsewhere, perhaps someone here on Head-Fi can help.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,476 of 3,702

If you're looking for a nice fat rich sound that pairs well with the Vali2, Let me recommend the PSB M4U1 or NAD HP50 (almost the same headphone, sister companies, both cans designed by speaker wizard Paul Barton). 

My NAD HP50s with a Philips PCC88 sourced off of a modi 2 is a magical combination.. The synergy is crazy good. Great compliment to my Senn HD650s which I tend to use with my '57 miniwatt PCC88.

HD 598, X1 or X2, will give you a warmer sound and they sound good for me with Vali2.

I use the Grado SR325e. It gives a very live sound.

thank you guys for the recommendations! i will do some research on the sr325e, X2, and HP50s, will pick up one of these and report back!

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #1,477 of 3,702
  Maybe a bad week for Nick? Always had quick and helpful responses from Nick.

Website does give tube compatibility guidance: "...a lot of other options out there, including 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 2492, and even more. Pretty much any tube with a 6DJ8 pinout, 6V heater, and 600mA or less of heater current will work fine in Vali 2."

Tube compatibility is a fairly large topic and is probably better researched on a forum like Head-Fi. See this LYR & LYR2 COMPATIBILITY CHART:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list#post_11328343    

Lyr1, like the Vali2 and the Valhalla2, has the capability of handling heater current up to ~600mA. There are also other tube options available via pinout adapters.
Hope that helps. If you have specific questions that are not addressed elsewhere, perhaps someone here on Head-Fi can help.

Thanks for your reponse @rnros, @HOWIE13 and @Eric510.  I am happy to inform you that Nick did respond to my email question today.  His response is pretty much exactly what you wrote above.  Nick indicated that this is outlined in the FAQ section in the Vali 2 page.  Before I emailed Nick I did look at the Vali 2 page and read the "roll your own" section that briefly described the compatible tubes.  I failed to check the FAQ which was my fault.

Being that I know very little (virtually nothing) about tubes I simply asked about tubes not listed in the Schiit Vali 2 information section.  They were 6N6P and 6SN7 (that Project Ember enthusiasts seem to like).  While I love the V2, I thought if perhaps these tubes were compatible with the Vali 2, it would elevate the sound even more.  Anyway, I have my answer and more importantly I also learned more about tubes.

Thanks everyone who contributed, and thanks also to you Nick from Schiit.

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #1,478 of 3,702
@Tuneslover

That's a very comprehensive list and link to general information.

I get confused by all the E and Russian N/P numbers and also I haven't found a way of getting rid of the 'Featues column' on the right of my screen which is hiding some of the tube information, but is there any mention of Octals in the list and what did Nick say about 6N6P? Did he confirm 6N6P can't be used?

Thanks.

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #1,479 of 3,702
@Tuneslover

That's a very comprehensive list and link to general information.

I get confused by all the E and Russian N/P numbers and also I haven't found a way of getting rid of the 'Featues column' on the right of my screen which is hiding some of the tube information, but is there any mention of Octals in the list and what did Nick say about 6N6P? Did he confirm 6N6P can't be used?

Thanks.

He didn't say anything about the 6N6P, which was the question that I asked him about in my first email. He only answered the follow up email as follows:

"The 6H30 requires 750mA so that's out. Octal based tubes (like the 6SH7) will require an adaptot, as will tubes that do not have the same pin out as a 6DJ8."

I find the whole tube categorization thing pretty confusing as the Vali2 is the first tube gear I have purchased. Surely amp manufacturers could include a section on their websites that allows you to input a tube and it gives you a yes or no answer with respect to compatibility. Sounds simple enough but maybe it's not. I just don't want to buy a tube that may not work with the V2 so a simple query shouldn't be too much to ask for. Being cautious I have only purchased 2 tubes (EH6922 & JJE88CC) in order to get some other tube flavours.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #1,480 of 3,702
He didn't say anything about the 6N6P, which was the question that I asked him about in my first email. He only answered the follow up email as follows:

"The 6H30 requires 750mA so that's out. Octal based tubes (like the 6SH7) will require an adaptot, as will tubes that do not have the same pin out as a 6DJ8."

I find the whole tube categorization thing pretty confusing as the Vali2 is the first tube gear I have purchased. Surely amp manufacturers could include a section on their websites that allows you to input a tube and it gives you a yes or no answer with respect to compatibility. Sounds simple enough but maybe it's not. I just don't want to buy a tube that may not work with the V2 so a simple query shouldn't be too much to ask for. Being cautious I have only purchased 2 tubes (EH6922 & JJE88CC) in order to get some other tube flavours.

Yes I think manufacturers are often reluctant to advise on tubes they may not be as familiar with as we are.
6SN7 tubes certainly work well for me in my Vali2, as do dual single triode octal set-ups like dual 6J5's and 7193/2C22 Frankenstein set-ups, with appropriate adapters of course.
There's stuff about these on the threads.
Anyway, you have already made a good start with the two tubes you've already purchased.
Enjoy!

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #1,481 of 3,702
Anyone here tried the new Modi 2 Multibit with the Vali2? Is it worth the upgrade from a Modi2u?

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #1,482 of 3,702
Anyone here tried the new Modi 2 Multibit with the Vali2? Is it worth the upgrade from a Modi2u?

I don't know about the Modi MB but my Bifrost MB and Vali 2 are incredibly good together. I originally had the Bimby connected to my 2 channel speaker system and a short while back decided to try it with the Vali 2. I'm planning on keeping it right where it is. Along with HD650's this setup is incredible sounding. Excellent instrument separation along with a wide holographic soundscape makes music sound detailed and very live-like. Of course tube rolling takes these components to a whole other level.

I too am interested in hearing people's impressions on how the Modi MB sounds with Vali 2. Additionally, I am curious to hear impressions on how close the Modi MB comes to the Bifrost MB. I also have the Bifrost Über, which I upgraded to 4490. I compared the 4490 with the Multibit on my 2 channel speaker setup and found that both of these 2 DAC's sounded very similar, deciding to put the MB with the speaker system and the 4490 with my headphone system. While the 4490 sounded excellent with my headphone setup, once I swapped the DAC's I truly appreciated how much superior the MB sounded. Originally I didn't perceive as noticeable of an audible difference when comparing these DAC's on the 2 channel speaker system, but on a headphone system the difference is quite dramatic.

Aug 2, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #1,483 of 3,702

Users who are viewing this thread

Back