Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Feb 26, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,007 of 3,702
  I just got the the Matsu****a / National / 7DJ8 Platinum from Upscale Audio. Listening to them with my 400i. I was asked to give my impression and so I thought I would give shout out. It is hard to distinguish the sound of these compared to the stock 6BQ7. Of course they say on Upscale to give them 100 hrs burn in. So might be a little early so for that I apologize ahead of time.

It took my "Philips" (really EI) PCC88 around 30-40 hours to get it's final sound (I stopped tallying around hour 40, I guesstimate I'm round hour 80 or 90 now), or so close as makes no odds.

I agree that around $40 to $50 is the sweet spot for my wallet considering the longevity of the tube and the cost of the amp itself. I would happily reload another Philips PCC88 when this one dies, however I am quite tempted by the BEL tubes on upscale slightly above that price range though. Maybe I'll talk myself into one of those.

I agree that my upscale experience was very easy and straightforward. I'd shop there again.

Thanks for your opinion on the Matsush!ta. I was very curious about it.

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #1,011 of 3,702
  Would you guys recommend the Vali 2 as a good starter tube amp? I'm still trying to read up and learn... 

YES! I listen to all types of music but not CW. Read my profile. Awesome little amp with just about headphone. You won't be sorry. I have a lot of products from Schiit Audio. Modi 2 Uber, Magni 2 Uber, Vali 2 and just got the Wyrd to make the stacks look even. Yes I'm OCD that way. LOL! The guys at Schiit Audio make awesome products man. I have had my Magni since Nov. 2013or so, no complaints still cranking. Just got the Vali 2 for the same reason you are looking. Got all Schiit cables as will. You will not be sorry. Go ahead you know you want to! The sound really is nice.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #1,012 of 3,702

I just got the the Matsu****a / National / 7DJ8 Platinum from Upscale Audio. Listening to them with my 400i. I was asked to give my impression and so I thought I would give shout out. It is hard to distinguish the sound of these compared to the stock 6BQ7. Of course they say on Upscale to give them 100 hrs burn in. So might be a little early so for that I apologize ahead of time.

It took my "Philips" (really EI) PCC88 around 30-40 hours to get it's final sound (I stopped tallying around hour 40, I guesstimate I'm round hour 80 or 90 now), or so close as makes no odds.

I agree that around $40 to $50 is the sweet spot for my wallet considering the longevity of the tube and the cost of the amp itself. I would happily reload another Philips PCC88 when this one dies, however I am quite tempted by the BEL tubes on upscale slightly above that price range though. Maybe I'll talk myself into one of those.

I agree that my upscale experience was very easy and straightforward. I'd shop there again.

Thanks for your opinion on the Matsush!ta. I was very curious about it.

Your welcome I try to help all I can but I admit, I don't know a lot. It seems like a pretty good tube like I said. Not a bad tube for 35 bucks.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #1,013 of 3,702

YES! I listen to all types of music but not CW. Read my profile. Awesome little amp with just about headphone. You won't be sorry. I have a lot of products from Schiit Audio. Modi 2 Uber, Magni 2 Uber, Vali 2 and just got the Wyrd to make the stacks look even. Yes I'm OCD that way. LOL! The guys at Schiit Audio make awesome products man. I have had my Magni since Nov. 2013or so, no complaints still cranking. Just got the Vali 2 for the same reason you are looking. Got all Schiit cables as will. You will not be sorry. Go ahead you know you want to! The sound really is nice.

I don't have a DAC either, I'm guessing that the Modi 2 would be the best option there as well. Do I need the Uber?

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,014 of 3,702
  On the subject of rolling, has anyone tried a Genalex Gold Lion PCC88? 

I've tried this tube briefly and it sounded like it had more bass and top-end sparkle than the stock tube. I ended up getting an Amperex JAN 7308 USA for my Vali 2, it sounds great. 

What should my volume knob be at for pre-amp use? I'm thinking about plugging it into my power amp to add some tube warmth to the DAC. I was thinking the volume should be at 80-90%, or is it better to run the vali 2 at 100% volume for pre-amp use? I'm pretty sure you want the hottest clean signal possible going to the power amp.

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,016 of 3,702
How much was the Amperex? I probably need to get a spare tube.

I got one that tested as new (according to the seller) on eBay for $75. It seems like it opened up the sound stage and added more midrange detail to me. If you do get one on eBay try to find a seller that has high feedback ratings and lots of feedback. From what I've read the 7308 is a "select" 6922, with tighter tolerances. Contrary to some posts I've seen, it is not a 7 volt tube.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #1,017 of 3,702

What should my volume knob be at for pre-amp use? I'm thinking about plugging it into my power amp to add some tube warmth to the DAC. I was thinking the volume should be at 80-90%, or is it better to run the vali 2 at 100% volume for pre-amp use? I'm pretty sure you want the hottest clean signal possible going to the power amp.

What's your source, a PC, phone or the like?  If it is, for the best sound, you typically run the software volume  @ 100%  and control the volume with the Vali 2.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,018 of 3,702
   What's your source, a PC, phone or the like?  If it is, for the best sound, you typically run the software volume  @ 100%  and control the volume with the Vali 2.

Yes I always leave the software volume at 100%, that's not really my question. The DAC has a line-level output going to the Vali 2. The speaker amp that the Vali 2 is connected to has a volume knob, so I wanted to set the Vali 2 to the best volume, and use the final speaker amplifier's volume knob, unless I'm listening to headphones with the speaker amp turned off.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,019 of 3,702

Yes I always leave the software volume at 100%, that's not really my question. The DAC has a line-level output going to the Vali 2. The speaker amp that the Vali 2 is connected to has a volume knob, so I wanted to set the Vali 2 to the best volume, and use the final speaker amplifier's volume knob, unless I'm listening to headphones with the speaker amp turned off.

I never like to run something wide open like this.  What I would do then is, set the volume on the Vali 2 at something reasonable that allows the volume control on the speaker amp to give you a nice variable without being too sensitive or lacking.  It should sound just fine anywhere in this range.   

Sp

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #1,020 of 3,702

I never like to run something wide open like this.  What I would do then is, set the volume on the Vali 2 at something reasonable that allows the volume control on the speaker amp to give you a nice variable without being too sensitive or lacking.  It should sound just fine anywhere in this range.   

Sp

Yeah makes sense. I'll play around with it but I'm thinking volume on the Vali 2 set to 75% or something might be a good start.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back