Official Samsung galaxy note 8 thread sound quality is great :)
Mar 27, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #16 of 37
It's a curious thing, because I find the sound on S6 with Exynos (via Poweramp alpha) to be very decent
Well, the note 8 certainly has improved from Note 4 on the details across the board. What I meant is that Samsung has always been into this “warmth and bass emphasized signature”. Preferences aside, this coloration is not true fidelity. When a guitar sounds like a boom stick....that is very crazy lol! The iPad Pro is more acceptable in this matter

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #17 of 37
Well, the note 8 certainly has improved from Note 4 on the details across the board. What I meant is that Samsung has always been into this “warmth and bass emphasized signature”. Preferences aside, this coloration is not true fidelity. When a guitar sounds like a boom stick....that is very crazy lol! The iPad Pro is more acceptable in this matter

It's just that the sound is very neutral to my ears, when using only hardware plus flac decent files. I suppose that, if I came from some amp with brilliant sound, maybe I thought different, but the sound, for me, is definitely good (comparing it to iPhone's sound, which I find to be nice too).

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #18 of 37
I have the Exynos version of Note 8. Thinking of buying a Dragonfly Red. My questions are:
1) Will the upgrade in sound quality be significant enough to justify the almost $300 investment in the DFR (that's roughly what it will cost me after shipping and import duty)?
2) Will Tidal MQA work when I connect the DFR to the Note 8? Or is that feature locked to the V30? What if I use UAP to play Tidal MQA?
Thanks!

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #19 of 37
Try adapt sound feature. this makes whole lot of difference in sound quality. also, dont forget to set the EQ to rock. I'm now in love with my note8 which I was thinking of ditching for V30 and newer LG phones. I cant easily change my note8 because I depend on its note writing feature too much..

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 37
Need to leave a mark here...
Been using almost all Note porfolio, like Note 3, Note 5, Note 7( refund), and still using NOTE 8 for almost a year.
Need the S-Pen for work.

Starting serious when a friend recommended IEM for better sound, and from there I explore it.
I like listening to Spotify from my Ipad mini 2 gen, but start to need something more compact...
Set up my Note 8 for streaming audio, bought a decent IEM for it (CA POLARIS), set the UHQ scaler to Bit upscaling only, download all spotify song to very High quality.
Not as good on Streaming DAP, but it serves me right..
IMO, get a decent IEM with ur NOTE 8, may not be the best audiophile, but it will do you great..

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #21 of 37
Need to leave a mark here...
Been using almost all Note porfolio, like Note 3, Note 5, Note 7( refund), and still using NOTE 8 for almost a year.
Need the S-Pen for work.

Starting serious when a friend recommended IEM for better sound, and from there I explore it.
I like listening to Spotify from my Ipad mini 2 gen, but start to need something more compact...
Set up my Note 8 for streaming audio, bought a decent IEM for it (CA POLARIS), set the UHQ scaler to Bit upscaling only, download all spotify song to very High quality.
Not as good on Streaming DAP, but it serves me right..
IMO, get a decent IEM with ur NOTE 8, may not be the best audiophile, but it will do you great..
There are many options you can choose from if you want to keep your Note8 and improve the sound quality. first is hooking up compact external dac such as dragon fly black and red. also there are many compact size bluetooth dac/amp. one of which is es100 (I excluded q5 and xdsd because of their relatively large sizes). es100 can be connected via Ldac and provide better sound quality than regular bluetooth or aptx/HD.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 37
There are many options you can choose from if you want to keep your Note8 and improve the sound quality. first is hooking up compact external dac such as dragon fly black and red. also there are many compact size bluetooth dac/amp. one of which is es100 (I excluded q5 and xdsd because of their relatively large sizes). es100 can be connected via Ldac and provide better sound quality than regular bluetooth or aptx/HD.

hmm... I will try the dragon fly, since I know some one who using it, but not on smartphone..

ES100, I would like to try 2.5mm Balance...
but not to keen having additional device. .

Thank you for the suggestion...

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 37
Exynos Note 8 user here. Just my opinion here based on my personal experience, but this is a great phone for IEMs. High impedance headphones - not so much. Here's my rundown:
*Using my Campfire Andromeda's, at first plugging them in with no configurations to sound, I thought they sounded a bit too high treble wise and seemed too sharp and sibilant.
However, after doing adapt sound (which it picked up a perfect 100% on all frequency beeps for me) and turning on UHQ upscale, the sound is VASTLY improved. Way more dynamics, clarity, less sharp treble, and bass definitely is there now. Compared to my ZX-300, These obviously aren't being driven to their full potential, but I'd say they're hitting about 80% of what the 300 brings out of em. Very pleased tbh for a mobile device.

*My HD 600's didn't fare so well. They didn't hit all of the frequencies on adapt sound to my ears + the volume is just nearly serviceable. Like I need to literally max out the volume to get them to be decently "loud". However I can CLEARLY point out they're not really being fully pushed here, dynamics and soundstage are way lower than my 300 and they have barely much bass or low end, and sibilant treble. I will say though, for what it is, they still sound damn good compared to other phones I've tried them on. So kudos for that. The Cirrus Logic DAC is doing a decent job.

*Bluetooth wise, this phone is about 95% as best of bluetooth sound quality wise you'll get. My 300 is a step better in this regard, but this gives such near flawless, clean sound to my Bose Soundsport Free's and Sony WH1000XM2's. Very nice + it supports most high end bluetooth codecs (APTX and LDAC)

-Compared to the V30-
This was my big decision. Sound quality wise right away though and you'll be oddly surprised. This literally holds up to I'd say 90% of the sound quality of the V30.
Most of that 10% is the fact that the V30 can drive higher impedance headphones easily, but I noticed my 600 had a very similar sound signature though to my Note 8 driving it, but just with louder sound. Pretty interesting to the say the least, regardless the 300 obviously was way better. I'd say though my Andromedas, to my ears, sounded no different on the V30 or 8.
I didn't try much other headphones, bluetooth sound was about par.
All in all though, this is the far better phone in my honest opinion with about the same sound quality as the V30( as long as you get the Exynos, the Snapdragon version is definitely inferior) and it's also to me more beautiful looking and a more productive, useful phone.
But let's be honest, any DAP will slap most mobile phones like nobody's business, but for what it's worth, Samsung did good here. And I applaud them for it.
You can easily score a Note 8 Exynos new on ebay (like me) for $500, and in that regard it's a FANTASTIC deal and a very capable mobile audio player. And of course most important of all, a very brilliant smartphone. This is my second baby next to my 300, and it will be for a very long time!!!

Aug 10, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #24 of 37
Exynos Note 8 user here. Just my opinion here based on my personal experience, but this is a great phone for IEMs. High impedance headphones - not so much. Here's my rundown:
*Using my Campfire Andromeda's, at first plugging them in with no configurations to sound, I thought they sounded a bit too high treble wise and seemed too sharp and sibilant.
However, after doing adapt sound (which it picked up a perfect 100% on all frequency beeps for me) and turning on UHQ upscale, the sound is VASTLY improved. Way more dynamics, clarity, less sharp treble, and bass definitely is there now. Compared to my ZX-300, These obviously aren't being driven to their full potential, but I'd say they're hitting about 80% of what the 300 brings out of em. Very pleased tbh for a mobile device.

*My HD 600's didn't fare so well. They didn't hit all of the frequencies on adapt sound to my ears + the volume is just nearly serviceable. Like I need to literally max out the volume to get them to be decently "loud". However I can CLEARLY point out they're not really being fully pushed here, dynamics and soundstage are way lower than my 300 and they have barely much bass or low end, and sibilant treble. I will say though, for what it is, they still sound damn good compared to other phones I've tried them on. So kudos for that. The Cirrus Logic DAC is doing a decent job.

*Bluetooth wise, this phone is about 95% as best of bluetooth sound quality wise you'll get. My 300 is a step better in this regard, but this gives such near flawless, clean sound to my Bose Soundsport Free's and Sony WH1000XM2's. Very nice + it supports most high end bluetooth codecs (APTX and LDAC)

-Compared to the V30-
This was my big decision. Sound quality wise right away though and you'll be oddly surprised. This literally holds up to I'd say 90% of the sound quality of the V30.
Most of that 10% is the fact that the V30 can drive higher impedance headphones easily, but I noticed my 600 had a very similar sound signature though to my Note 8 driving it, but just with louder sound. Pretty interesting to the say the least, regardless the 300 obviously was way better. I'd say though my Andromedas, to my ears, sounded no different on the V30 or 8.
I didn't try much other headphones, bluetooth sound was about par.
All in all though, this is the far better phone in my honest opinion with about the same sound quality as the V30( as long as you get the Exynos, the Snapdragon version is definitely inferior) and it's also to me more beautiful looking and a more productive, useful phone.
But let's be honest, any DAP will slap most mobile phones like nobody's business, but for what it's worth, Samsung did good here. And I applaud them for it.
You can easily score a Note 8 Exynos new on ebay (like me) for $500, and in that regard it's a FANTASTIC deal and a very capable mobile audio player. And of course most important of all, a very brilliant smartphone. This is my second baby next to my 300, and it will be for a very long time!!!
same Exynos user here.

U are right, Note 8 is best pair with IEM... it works charm for me with Polaris, even wireless APTX IEM (QCY19). edit, u need to upgrade to OREO OS android, to get NOTE 8 APTX or LDAC setting to come out...

regarding adapt sound, when i used it, I only feel the boost in bass, i fell the detail is overlay by it... so I dont use it with Polaris, but i will turn it on using High impedance Headphone. Adapt sound give a bit bass on my HD668b (55 ohm), although it's a bright Cans.
on DT990 Pro, Note 8 is... too quite..
to get the best of spotify, u need to download it (offline). IMO.

for listening EDM, fast pace bass, i prefer Note8 with Polaris than my RIG... which is great when listening acoustic...

but my situation now, i need a DAP, my Note 8 battery runs very fast because my daily smartphone. This Note 8 will be my MiFi for my Car when I am driving, my distribution file clouding, my Audio player when having a break & gym... so 3x charging a day, and still rocking for a year, except the crack on the side monitor for 6 months. but still do its job. . hahaha a bit out topic...

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #25 of 37
I'm having a hard time distinguishing es100 from note8 when I do the blind test. they sound very similar and in some songs, I chose note8 over es100. Note8 with adapt sound and appropriate eq (in my case, rock) makes it very nice sounding device.

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #26 of 37
I'm having a hard time distinguishing es100 from note8 when I do the blind test. they sound very similar and in some songs, I chose note8 over es100. Note8 with adapt sound and appropriate eq (in my case, rock) makes it very nice sounding device.
IMO, If you have a decent IEM... adding something in the way, will only make it works extra, except if it is to amplify..
but still curious for that 2.5mm Balance. .

already try the butterfly dragon, need to bring that UCB C to Female USB A converter.. plug an play (what i love about Android).. yes, it boost the sound, but that's all I fell... adapt sound did a bit better aside that the volume is louder on butterfly. ... unfortunately i only try on NOTE8 and Polaris, and it really drown note 8 battery. According to the dragon Owner, it best used for laptop or big Rig...

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #27 of 37
same Exynos user here.

U are right, Note 8 is best pair with IEM... it works charm for me with Polaris, even wireless APTX IEM (QCY19). edit, u need to upgrade to OREO OS android, to get NOTE 8 APTX or LDAC setting to come out...

regarding adapt sound, when i used it, I only feel the boost in bass, i fell the detail is overlay by it... so I dont use it with Polaris, but i will turn it on using High impedance Headphone. Adapt sound give a bit bass on my HD668b (55 ohm), although it's a bright Cans.
on DT990 Pro, Note 8 is... too quite..
to get the best of spotify, u need to download it (offline). IMO.

for listening EDM, fast pace bass, i prefer Note8 with Polaris than my RIG... which is great when listening acoustic...

but my situation now, i need a DAP, my Note 8 battery runs very fast because my daily smartphone. This Note 8 will be my MiFi for my Car when I am driving, my distribution file clouding, my Audio player when having a break & gym... so 3x charging a day, and still rocking for a year, except the crack on the side monitor for 6 months. but still do its job. . hahaha a bit out topic...

I agree with you on the detail regarding Adapt, it does get a tiny bit overlayed by the midrange with it on, however my Andromedas avoid getting affected by that. It was kind of obvious on my 600's though.
EDM and Rap/Hip Hop is great on this. Definitely feeds good bass to my Andromedas ( That tells me it has a low output impedance since these get a more thicker bass the lower it is), it really in my opinion treats all genres good, can't go wrong with what you decide to listen to with it.
That sucks that you cracked it haha. I baby mine way too much even the fact that I don't bring it to my job (My iphone X is for work), hope to keep it going for years.
Also does anyone use the Tube Amp Pro setting? Definitely sounds like it warms up the music a little, I enjoy it personally since I got so used to my R8 4.4mm cable which warmed up my Andromedas

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #28 of 37
Also does anyone use the Tube Amp Pro setting? Definitely sounds like it warms up the music a little, I enjoy it personally since I got so used to my R8 4.4mm cable which warmed up my Andromedas

I avoid this, if I used Polaris.. the IEM already generate fast pace thick bass... using Tube amp Pro only make weird for me... But if u try with the AKG IEM that come with NOTE8. . it sufficients to make a punch bass.. a bit artificial but OK

but on other cans, it can generated a thin bass with Brights cans... the wonder... the bass is not full (I dont know how to explain this)

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #29 of 37
I avoid this, if I used Polaris.. the IEM already generate fast pace thick bass... using Tube amp Pro only make weird for me... But if u try with the AKG IEM that come with NOTE8. . it sufficients to make a punch bass.. a bit artificial but OK

I'll take your word on it I'm sure, for one thing I definitely need some more gear lol. All I got really are my Andromedas and HD 600, trying to get another good IEM (Maybe the Sony XBA Z5) and an endgame HP (Either the 800S or Z1R... pondering about it). My adventure into high fidelity audio still is pretty new!
I haven't tried the AKG ones yet. I hear they're alright for what they are though.
Also will say this phone literally is friendly to any DAP USB audio wise. My P1, B&O LG G5 Dac, and my ZX300 paired all to it with no issue, and it was pushing out 24/192 natively when I was playing a file of that quality. Match made in heaven for an audiophile imo haha
Screenshot_20180811-114459_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #30 of 37
Note 8 user since note 1, sound is good but I just picked up a sony a45 dap, OMG listening to flac is incredible, huge difference in sound quality. I'm running with vmoda wireless 2 and sony wh1000xm2 very happy. The main reason I went with a dap is because I was killing my battery, not realizing the upgrade in sound i was gonna get. Note 8 is great, but using a separate dap is a different level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back