Official NYC spring meet 2012 impression thread
Jun 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #16 of 121
I want to thank Tom for putting the meet together, it was great fun and educational.  I also want to thank Jack Wu for the personal delivery of my new WA5-LE.
k701smile.gif
I realize the headphones are a young man's game, but even and old geezer like me can enjoy them.  I really enjoyed meeting all of the folks that I did and talking headphones, audio and anything else with you.

I was very impressed with the WA monoblocks, very rock solid sound.  I was also very surprised by what I heard from the Blue Hawaii SE amp and the Stax SR-009.  I have never been a fan of electrostatic speakers, however, what I head playing one of my own SACD's on that system was full range and very enjoyable.  

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #18 of 121
Just got back to California but wanted to thank everyone for the warm hospitality and the encouragement and support! It was so fun I will just have to come back...

Big thanks to Tom for putting this together!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 121
Quote:
People listened to headphones? Must be meet newbies.
wink_face.gif

LOL.  I was just about to write that I spent my usual 99% of the meet chatting it up with some new and old friends.  Always my favorite part of the meet :D

Thanks a bunch to Tom for taking the reigns on this.  What a great event!

Glad that so many MOTs showed up making some long trips.  I think Fang takes the lead on longest travel to the show though Justin may win on longest time.  Thanks to Jude as well as the members of the press.  Also, congrats to the new fathers :)

Had a great showing of the Stax mafia.  Very well represented Blue Hawaii's, a KGSSHV with a KGSS sitting on top of it.  Great chance for comparisons.  Loved El Doug's blue faced Blue Hawaii.

I did have a chance to do some comparisons on the LCD-2 v 3 and the HD-800.  Hard to hear the sublties at a meet but can definitely get some good direction of the sound signatures.

Already looking forward to the next.

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #21 of 121
BIG SHOUT OUT TO ALL THE VENDORS,MEMBERS OF THE  PRESS,AND TO  ALL THE MEMBERS THAT ATTENDED AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST JUDE.

Without everyones support this meet would have not been as successfulI as it was.

The silent auction  &  cash donations raised more then enough money to cover expenses with extra to go to the next meet.

RWA (vinnie) Is always over the top in what he donates to the auction.
UE donated 4 pairs of IEMs
Beyer Dynamic offered up a pair of DT440s(I think that was the#)
Decur donated a balanced pair of Senn 595
Nikongod donated a Tube Buffer that seemed pretty interesting.
MrSpeakers donated  a pair of his Mad Dog headphones (also offering a meet special price $270 to anyone who wants to order one coupon code NYMEET20 till june 8)

Special thanks to Nikongod & Kenman345 who helped with the not so silent auction.

No listening impressions as I was to busy yacking & making sure the meet ran smoothly.

As always it was great hanging out with everyone & the day went by in a blink.

A lot of first time meet attendees this time around which was great.

SO POST YOUR IMPRESSIONS  EVERYONE ,I LOOk forward to reading them.

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #22 of 121
Quote:

You should be aware of D1's USB limitations: it's not bit perfect and limited only to 16bit/48Khz

lol I told you that. It's not supposed to be limited, there is an issue with the USB section in which it doesn't end up taking in the 24 bit signal and it down samples it. I think someone was trying to figure it out and fix it but I'm not sure they ever got to. Regardless the USB section is still noisy so optical or coaxial would just be outright better. I'm probably going to get an Asus DG just because my mobod didn't come with an optical out.

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #23 of 121
Thanks Tom, for pulling this together.  I had a blast at this one and the day flew by and you're forgiven once again for not bringing your Krell out.  
wink.gif

It was good seeing all again, and that's pretty much all I did all day, see people and yak away.  Good meeting Jude & listening to Ari's Silver Ghost again, those new tubes raised it yet another level.  

Best HD800 amp (and rig) I've heard.

The KGSS/KGSSHV comparison was cool, the HV brought more ambiance, a tighter sound, and effortlessness.

It was good to bring the final version of Herbert's V51 amp home, after spending the past two months with the prototype I'm happy to report the final version sounds even better.  Till next time.

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #24 of 121
Thanks to everyone, and especially to Tom (bozebuttons) for organizing the event.  I learned a lot, and probably saved myself a few hundred dollars on gear I don't need in the final analysis (like power conditioning; I might get a good isolation transformer at some point, but probably not).   While it was great to be able to compare the Beyerdynamic T1, the Sennheiser HD800s and the Stax SR-009 back-to-back, the best part of the meet was talking to all of you and learning a lot more about this hobby that I am still getting into (in particular, Mullet and MrSpeakers were very generous with their time and advice; as were Tyll, Jude and Steve).  Finally, checking out the highest-end Stax models hooked up to the Blue Hawaii amp was a treat, but I actually found myself preferring the SR-007 to the 009, even though the 009 is technically the superior headphone.  I had hoped to demo some Ultrasone Edition 8s or maybe even the elusive Sony MDR-R10, but I was pleased to be able to check out so many of the highest-end headphones often discussed on the forums that I ordinarily wouldn't be able to hear.  Thanks again to everyone for making this event possible.

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #25 of 121
Still in the city. It'll be Tuesday before I even get the photos onto my computer. But I did want to pop in and say thanks to Tom. You're a stalwart soul, mate.

Quick impressions?

The blue Blue Hawaii was blue ... gorgious, glorious blue. Souds good, too.

UEs new gadget is cool, but I got impressions for a pair of the Reference monitors.

And like Kerry said, seeing old friends was the best part. Lunch with Tom, Steve, Bob, and Jude was a dear pleasure.

Making new friends was very cool as well. Having them complement InnerFidelity was rewarding, but asking folks what I could do better was a rare treat.

Thanks guys! My meet impression post in InnerFidelity will be up within the week.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 121
Quote:
Still in the city. It'll be Tuesday before I even get the photos onto my computer. But I did want to pop in and say thanks to Tom. You're a stalwart soul, mate.

Quick impressions?

The blue Blue Hawaii was blue ... gorgious, glorious blue. Souds good, too.

UEs new gadget is cool, but I got impressions for a pair of the Reference monitors.

And like Kerry said, seeing old friends was the best part. Lunch with Tom, Steve, Bob, and Jude was a dear pleasure.

Making new friends was very cool as well. Having them complement InnerFidelity was rewarding, but asking folks what I could do better was a rare treat.

Thanks guys! My meet impression post in InnerFidelity will be up within the week.

Always cool hanging out with you Tyll,you skipped out without saying goodbye.
Looking forward to your post in Innerfidelity.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #27 of 121
Hi folks,

I had a great time yesterday, meeting old friends (wow, I actually know/recognize many of you in the past 3 years since my first northern NJ show), new friends and lots of good sound.

Thanks of course to Tom (Bozebuttons) for organizing this and the manufacturers (Jack, Justin, Vinnie, UE) and the great home systems that folks brought in.

Thanks muchly to Tony (and his wife) for letting me plug in to their PSAudio power conditioner and sharing a table with me, interesting conversations and clearly a shared love of music.
Thanks to Kerry for loaning the stax pro-bias energizer to run off the Kenwood car stereo output of my 'patio portable' system (left my SRD-7 at home..............)

Impressions? Before sound fatigue and hunger set in (somewhere around where I was listening to the UE reference and 18s), I enjoyed a number of rigs.

Pras' DAC is the coolest physical design out there and the sound is almost(!) as good as it looks (nothing can sound THAT good). If anyone has a totally dead one of these for a good price, I'd buy it just to have on my shelf.

A couple of top of the line Audeze sounded fine (but I can't tolerate the weight and pressure on my head), and I got a particular kick out of listening to them on Joe's DIY on a real breadboard! Thanks to Joe also for reminding me why I was fatigued at 3pm, having skipped/forgotten lunch in all the hoopla, and getting me out to a deli before I collapsed.

Good luck to the freshman computer science major at U. Illinois, who inquired about the cost of an entry level stax system. I did what I could to convince his parents that an entry level stax system would be a GREAT graduation present (and when I found out he was a freshman in college and wouldn't graduate for another 3 years, I told his parents that it would be a great belated high school graduation present and that my stax had helped me maintain my sanity and help get through electrical engineering studies and then graduate school).

Hey, I'm biased and have loved Stax since they first replaced an old pair of Koss PRO4AA when I was a freshman in college. TEAC reel-reel into a Kenwood receiver into stax energizer..........:cool:

Now that I have my BHSE :)atsmile: ), I felt a great need to compare the O2 and 009 (though I already knew the outcome from previous non-side-by-side comparisons) but it was really no contest going back and forth between them on Justin's BHSE units, as I really loved the detail, separation and layering I hear with the 009. Many of the things I heard on Woo's amp in Westchester with the 009s was evident again here (though I always find the variations in DACs hard to quantify, and here Justin had his pico-DAC which sounds nothing like my home DAC).

But, you pointedly ask, "Marty, how shall you pay for this next outrageously extravagant addition to your home audio system?"
Answer: Partly by selling off some of my old stuff, and I thought I would give the NY/NJ folks a first crack at it before I put things up on the 'for sale' forum.
Let me know by PM if you are interested in any of the following (I'll wait until latter half of the week to put them on wider notice)

SRM-T1S pro bias amp (at show yesterday)
Lambda Pro Classic Stax headset (at show yesterday)
Cosmic Headroom Headphone amp
Magnum Dynalab FT101A Elite/Etude FM receiver
Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth (FM signal pre-amp)
B&W 801 Matrix 2 speakers
Cal Gamma DAC
Melior/Museatex BS-1 DAC
Audio-gd Digital Interface (w/power supply option)

Maybe by the end of the year...........

Til next time.

Marty

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #28 of 121
Quote:
Always cool hanging out with you Tyll,you skipped out without saying goodbye.
Looking forward to your post in Innerfidelity.

Is it not obvious? There is no "good-bye" in his dictionary, only "see you next time." This must get redundant so he skips it naturally.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #29 of 121
Thanks all for a very fun and ear-opening day - enjoyed it immensely.

Special thanks to ivanrocks321 for stopping over with his K1000's and HP-1's - those two headphones were a great treat - just loved the liveliness and energy they present.
To nspindel for bringing his Eddie Current PX4 amp and LCD-3's - great power, control, body, tone, ease - for me a second fav was very far away.
Nikongod for bringing his SE transistor amp and Grado SR-60's and for drawing the schematic for me - a stunner combo for something that could be had for around $100.
Little regret - wish I spent more time with MrSpeakers Mad Dog's and compared them to the LCD2's - the Mad Dog's were lovely with Schubert (if I remember correctly).  I had spent a good deal of time with the Fostex, in the end gave them up, and in my wildest dreams cannot believe these are the same HP's I tinkered with.

A pleasure meeting these folks and everyone else I spoke to.
-Joe

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 121
I just wanted to say it was great meeting and talking with so many of you guys at the meet up and quite enjoyed the passionate and enjoyable conversations we had. I also very much enjoyed trying out some of the headphones and equipment people brought with them. It definitely opened my eyes to what I like and dislike and what I wanna focus on as the net part of my audio gear collection grows. 

I can't wait to see some of those pictures Jude and others had taken.

EDIT: Bozebuttons, thanks for setting up the meet. It was a great experience and I hope many more will happen soon. Your DX100 truly is a nice DAP, and I am going to reconsider my lack of ownership of said device. Maybe with some interface tweaks I will pick one up. Paired amazingly with my CIEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back