Official NYC area / Regional Fall meet, November 14th, 2015 - Stamford Sheraton
Sep 29, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #151 of 422
  I'd mentioned I was worried my list of gear was going to change before the meet.  Well now I have a pair of these amazing new old stock Telefunken E88CC for my Lyr 2.  These are circa 1966-1968 and are platinum graded and cryo treated from Upscale Audio.

These are by far the most amazing tubes I've tried so far.  The soundstage is just amazing and the detail is such that I'm hearing new things in songs I've heard countless times.  These were quite pricey for just tubes, but with the effect they have they are more than worth it.  

Holy smokes, dude!  Wow!  How much did those cost?  Intact vacuum tubes from the friggin 60's, huh?  Haha.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #153 of 422
Sadly $187 a tube isn't even a lot to me anymore 
frown.gif
 They need to learn to make these things again, they cost way too much as is.
I've spent over a grand on tubes already.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #154 of 422
  Sadly $187 a tube isn't even a lot to me anymore 
frown.gif
 They need to learn to make these things again, they cost way too much as is.
I've spent over a grand on tubes already.

See what I bolded in your quote?  AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN, MAN.  Ever.  Sorry but it's true, man.  We have transistors now, and they are much smaller, easier, and more cost-effective to produce.  Tubes may produce better soundstage and such but, also have more distortion, and the big thing these days seems to be trying to get audio equipment to have as low distortion as posible.  Numbers like 0.00024% THD+N, ya know?  Stuff so below the audible level of distortion it's just stupid.  Anyway, unfortunately or not, transistors and chips have relegated vacuum tubes in audio to the realm of "niche" components for only a certain smaller subset of consumers, and so the highest of high-quality vacuum tubes are not, and never will be, produced ever again.  THey were produced back in the days when vacuum tubes were still relevant for mainstream consumer applications.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #156 of 422
  Last time I checked tubes produced pleasing distortion. Distortion isn't always a bad thing, the distortion transistors produce is the bad kind.

That's not my point though.  Manufacturers, due to marketing trends, are obsessed with getting NO audible distortion.  It's stupid, but it's what consumers mostly want these days.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #158 of 422
Measured distortion has been below audible levels since the 80s, if not earlier...it's the unmeasured distortion that is the issue with bad sounding gear-the boom box you buy at Best Buy measures well, doesn't mean it will replace my Krell amp.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #159 of 422
Measured distortion has been below audible levels since the 80s, if not earlier...it's the unmeasured distortion that is the issue with bad sounding gear-the boom box you buy at Best Buy measures well, doesn't mean it will replace my Krell amp.

This is so "on point"... It has been a travesty to the audiofile world.

All this focus on only one part of distortion, while ignoring the rest.

Ignoring the new problems associated from gaining their unrealistic numbers of partial distortion measurements, thru all sorts of fancy implementations & massive feedback..

Looking at specs would make you believe every audio product should sound absolutely perfect..
:p
Hey
Even todays boombox cant measure up to my old ones

:)

I plan to come,
Not sure, but I might bring my system in by drone...

Need a bigger laptop
:p

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #160 of 422
This is so "on point"... It has been a travesty to the audiofile world.

All this focus on only one part of distortion, while ignoring the rest.

Ignoring the new problems associated from gaining their unrealistic numbers of partial distortion measurements, thru all sorts of fancy implementations & massive feedback..

Looking at specs would make you believe every audio product should sound absolutely perfect..
tongue.gif

Hey
Even todays boombox cant measure up to my old ones

smily_headphones1.gif

I plan to come,
Not sure, but I might bring my system in by drone...

Need a bigger laptop
tongue.gif

My God in heaven!  That system is a monster!  Is that seriously a real photo you took of your own real system?   Holy crap!   It's humongous!  Also yes, that would be the perfect place for the obligatory "that's what she said!" joke, but I beat all you guys to it now, bwahahaha :p

Since the lighting isn't super-good, I can't identify offhand most of those components.  What exactly are they?

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #161 of 422
I looked at the first post, with the list of attendees. Didn't see my name there, not sure if that's important, but I plan to come, will bring my MicroZOTL2, my HEK, and some other toys. May bring some stuff to sell. Do I need to do anything?

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #162 of 422
Since the lighting isn't super-good, I can't identify offhand most of those components.  What exactly are they?

Little Dot MK8 with lot's of bling to make it look good on top of a Schiit Yggy.
The internals are modded, you can't tell from the outside, other than all the bling.

He is one of my cohorts for the Little Dot MK6/8 mods. He helped me do my super mod on my mK6
Here's the new thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782183/little-dot-mk8se-mk6-super-mods/60#post_11955823

His is actually the "small"  version. Mine and Redge78's are about 5 times bigger but with no bling. Maxx did everything he could to fit everything inside the stock case.

I recently ripped everything out of the stock case because it was just in the way, can never have enough soda can sized capacitors 
tongue.gif

Maxx "isn't sure" if he's bringing his amp with him to the meet. I told him he needs to so we can compare our units to each other. Be sure to egg him on for me 
biggrin.gif

With the mods I've done to my mk6 I haven't heard anything that has come close it's sound even though I've heard a few amps in the $5,000-$10,000+ range, including Mcintosh/Moonaudio/HIFIMAN flagships.

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #163 of 422
I should be able to make.

Gear

Headphones
Sennheiser HD800 [Black on Black and Hardwired with SAA Endorphin cable]
HifiMan HE-6
Audeze LCD-XC

Amps
Eddie Current 2A3 MK IV

DACs
Lampizator Lite 7

Guys,
I herd Crandon setup and consider it one of the most musical I have herd.
I also like to hear the stax 009 setup as well,
And MrSpeakers nice gear (cavali) to see how good things can get...
For shure I will bring modded hd800 and an ultrasone ed8 moded for similar perspective as an ed5.
:)
I hoped to have a planar moded but no time as I still have a few tweaks to do on my sytem.
:wink:

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #165 of 422
  Little Dot MK8 with lot's of bling to make it look good on top of a Schiit Yggy.
The internals are modded, you can't tell from the outside, other than all the bling.

He is one of my cohorts for the Little Dot MK6/8 mods. He helped me do my super mod on my mK6
Here's the new thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/782183/little-dot-mk8se-mk6-super-mods/60#post_11955823

His is actually the "small"  version. Mine and Redge78's are about 5 times bigger but with no bling. Maxx did everything he could to fit everything inside the stock case.

I recently ripped everything out of the stock case because it was just in the way, can never have enough soda can sized capacitors 
tongue.gif

Maxx "isn't sure" if he's bringing his amp with him to the meet. I told him he needs to so we can show off our modded mk6/8 together. Be sure to egg him on for me 
biggrin.gif

With the mods I've done to my mk6 I haven't heard anything that has come close it's sound even though I've heard a few amps in the $5,000-$10,000+ range, including Mcintosh/Moonaudio/HIFIMAN flagships.

Wow.  Pretty amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back