Official NYC Annual Spring Meet Saturday, March 21st
Feb 23, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #152 of 507
Is this the small room?

standard

[size=x-large]Don't forget to send an e-mail with your screen name and real name for the name tags.......
beerchug.gif

upstateguy01@gmail.com[/size]

standard

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #153 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aaron has covered the room issue before (In the interest thread). The small room provides a great deal of flexibility and is significantly less expensive. If someone wants to donate the money necessary for a larger room I'm sure that everyone would be very appreciative, otherwise it's a little late to be complaining about the room.

i see 4 vendors on the attendee list as of now. will there be more? the vendors plus all the head-fiers in the small room could be very cramped. the meet is a month away. if we think this is going to be an issue, we should discuss it now.

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #154 of 507
One thing to consider, is that Mikhail will not be coming to this meet, and he takes up two tables. The other vendors have always been there, So I'm thinking, unless we get more the 60 people, there shouldn't be any problems.

As was previously stated, in the past, I've spent the extra cash to provide a second room and could not get anyone to setup in there.

So I don't think that it's a viable option.

Two things that we need to enforce. Anyone who wants to have full fledged conversations should take them outside or into the hotel lobby, and no surprise vendors should be accommodated. I noticed at the Harrison meet that we had a couple of people there that took up a lot of room, solely for the intention of selling their wares, and I'm not sure if Erik knew they were coming, and if so, for the specific reason, only.

I have put a disclaimer in my first post, that there should be no unanticipated vendors allowed. This is for the members and our vendor friends, and must not not be a trade show for the sole intent to sell components.

Feb 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #155 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assure you that after attending your first NYC meet your list will quadruple. These meets are like hanging out at a high end headphone shop with a lot of great patrons.

And after visitings some shops, this is a blewssing because none of the shops have any idea of the things discussed here. unless I am just going to the wrong shops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsedgwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is off topic, but I thought it was a good place to ask with all the NYC guys around... I live in north jersey and can get into the city easily. What are some good HiFi shops? Is there some list of shops hanging around somewhere I could look at?

Anymore info or insight on this question above?

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #156 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And after visitings some shops, this is a blewssing because none of the shops have any idea of the things discussed here. unless I am just going to the wrong shops.

Anymore info or insight on this question above?

Search is your friend. Do a search and you will come up with several threads. Here are a couple to get you started:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/hi...tabase-144125/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/whe...es-nyc-135871/

The bottom line, at least in Manhattan, is that high-end headphone retailers are few and far between. But there are a few places where you can listen to or buy some popular cans.

As an addition, I don't know if it is reflected in the above links, but AudioCubes has a store in the West Village, and it carries some AT cans.

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #157 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last time we had two rooms, the second room was basically unused.

Exactly. The proximity of the two rooms (or lack thereof) is the deal-breaker. People want to be in whatever is perceived as the "main" room unless the rooms are right next to each other, which they are not in this case.

One thing perhaps we all should consider is paying attention to the gear list. Obviously, people should bring whatever they need to complete their rig(s). But if you find yourself bringing an extra component just for the hell of it and there are already a couple on the gear list, then it might be better to leave it at home. I think this suggestion applies mainly to large electronics, as I generally think the more cans, the better.

Also, people should make as efficient use of space as possible. In the past, I have seen large CD collections taking up a lot of room. Of course, we've got nothing without the music, but perhaps a representative sample of 10 CDs is better than a very large collection.

The above are suggestions only, of course.

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #158 of 507
Perhaps I should leave the Menace at home? That rig would, unfortunately, probable eat the better part of a table. It does not stack well.
redface.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #159 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps I should leave the Menace at home? That rig would, unfortunately, probable eat the better part of a table. It does not stack well.
redface.gif

Well, now, I didn't mean that people should exclude AWESOME.
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #160 of 507
Quote:

redface.gif

The Menace is the main amp I want to listen to and since I am bringing two sources maybe I should drop the RTR and Repro amp as they are big.

I think once the gear list gets formalized it will be obvious to those that have been in this room numerous times if there might be an issue. Then maybe we talk about removing gear but I doubt it comes to that.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #161 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Menace is the main amp I want to listen to and since I am bringing two sources maybe I should drop the RTR and Repro amp as they are big.

I think once the gear list gets formalized it will be obvious to those that have been in this room numerous times if there might be an issue. Then maybe we talk about removing gear but I doubt it comes to that.

I agree with this approach.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #162 of 507
Quote:

redface.gif

No. Must Hear This AMP!!

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #163 of 507
Quote:

redface.gif

You should leave the menace at MY home. Then just forget about it. It seems like its such a hassle to own, I'l deal with it for you 'cause I'm such a nice guy.

In all seriousness, have you considered a table-top sized wobbler rack? I have one, but its too short for anything like the menace/silver ghost to go on the bottom shelf...

total cost was like $25: 2 pieces of 3/4" thick plywood, a bunch of 3/4" threaded rod from mcmaster carr, a hand full of nuts, some washers and your set.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #165 of 507
I just called up John Grado and asked if we could get a PS1000 to audition for the meet.
They are almost ready for production,he is waiting on parts.
I will call him back about a week before the meet & if they are available we should have one for the meet
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back