Official NY/Regional Spring Meet, April 20 2013 impressions
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #46 of 163
There's going to be a fall meet?!

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #47 of 163
Typically there are two big ones in the area. One is around the summer/spring which was the one this weekend and one in the Winter around November or so. Last winter there was none I believe since there was no one willing to set it up.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #48 of 163
Quote:

Mullet will probably be the organizer for the fall meet in Queens date & location  will be posted when the venue is locked in.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #49 of 163
Quote:
All,

Special thanks to Tom and everyone for another great headphone meet, and for decur22 for helping me with the ride over and letting me pair up
his Sony R10s with the Bellina HPA.  As others have already mentioned, they are sweeeeet sounding headphones!  Thanks to everyone
who stopped over to give a listen, including Steve Guttenberg of cnet's Audiophiliac.  And it was nice to see Jude join our meet as well!

Kenman - thanks for letting me listen to the Teraplayer.  I was surprised to see how quick and responsive it was to navigating through albums
even though it doesn't have a display.  

I enjoyed meeting new faces and seeing ones from previous meets.  And the weather was perfect for going outside to grab some lunch - thanks, guys!

Looking forward to the Fall meet!

Vinnie

Your welcome. I am glad you got a chance to listen to the Tera Player. It is a great little device. Thank you for bringing the RWAK100. I've added it to my list of things to start saving up for. Not sure when it will be that I pick one up but I think it's the perfect device to complement my Tera Player in terms of sources. The little screen with the EQ is perfect for what I want as a secondary device and the size is great. I can also use my microSD cards I already own to have all my music on one device. I'm very happy I got a chance to listen to it as I would've been reluctant about getting the RWAK100 or the AK100. It was good seeing you again this year as well. 
Quote:

I think I heard, they're hoping to plan one for October or November 

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #50 of 163
Quote:
I just remembered, I also tried the ASG-2. Nice sounding IEM which isolated quite nicely. I found them to be natural sounding with decent soundstage. They certainly do a nice job with guitar music. Listened to one of my fav SRV tunes and quite enjoyed what I heard. I thought they were a bit lacking in the top-end though... and this from a guy who tends to like rolled off highs since I tend to be very sensitive to treble. I mentioned this to the guy who was tending to me and he was surprised and made reference to the unit's specs. I decided not to get into the age old discussion that specs don't tell the complete story - especially when it comes to audio equipment.

I imagine the ASG-2 would be nice to just kick back and have a relaxed listening session with.

I agree. The ASGs in general lack a bit in the highs. they can reach there, but don't go that high naturally. I have to boost in treble. The midrange is where ASG really excels. I am currently using the ASG-1 with a slight treble boost on my J3, and they are awesome. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #51 of 163
Quote:

I agree. The ASGs in general lack a bit in the highs. they can reach there, but don't go that high naturally. I have to boost in treble. The midrange is where ASG really excels. I am currently using the ASG-1 with a slight treble boost on my J3, and they are awesome. 

I think you should refer to the ASG IEM's by the version to avoid confusion. ASG-2's have plenty of highs but I do agree the ASG-1's lack the highs, resulting in the need to put some treble boost on your music. saying ASG when their are 4 different models of it can be confusing and misinterpreted, just saying.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #52 of 163
Looking forward to pics!

wink.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #53 of 163
Quote:
Mullet will probably be the organizer for the fall meet in Queens date & location  will be posted when the venue is locked in.

Excellent. I live in the Bronx so getting there would be really easy for me. I'm looking forward to getting to talk to people more next time. This was my first meet, so I spent a lot more time checking out gear than talking to people about the gear. 

I just hope I don't end up blowing more money on gear after the fall meet >~<

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #54 of 163
Quote:
My fuze was just the source. I used the A1 amp for most of my testing. I probably should have asked them if I could take the headphones to another table to use with a tube amp. Beyers, to me, don't sound good unless they're powered by a tube amp.

I'm a huge fan of Beyer as well, I currently own the T70 and I used to have the dt770, 880, and 990.

Ah, I see. Hmm... I wonder if it was their amp then. I never tried them so can't comment.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #55 of 163
This meet really was an exceptional experience. I spent ~5 hours auditioning pretty much every setup there, and learned a tremendous amount. There were countless great sounding systems, but the two that have really stuck with me were:

1. The Sony R10's and Red Wine Audio Bellina HPA. This setup was simply sublime, and IMHO, the best sounding system there. Vinnie was also great to speak with . . . speaking of which, do you know whether this pair of R10's was a bass-light of bass-heavy model?

2. The King Sound Headphone 1 and M-10 solid state amp. This was by far the biggest shocker of the day . . .

+ Very detailed and accurate
+ Excellent low frequency response
+ Easy listening, laid-back sound signature
+ Very lightweight 
+ Extremely comfortable to wear, with nice ear pads *
+ Outstanding performance for the money

- Non-detachable cords
- Finish / build quality seemed lacking, and gave the impression of a "cheap" product.
- Minor background noise. This may be no fault of the headphone/amp, as it was impossible to pinpoint the source, but the background wasn't completely black.
- Being brand new products, I would be concerned with reliability. (Although I'm not sure what King Sound's CS or warranty policies are like.)
- Aesthetics may not be for everyone

*The headband . . . Drew from Moon Audio made it clear that the headband was a makeshift prototype and not a production model, but I would still be apprehensive about the production headband. I say this because photos of the production model appear to show the same yoke/adjustment device as the prototype. The headphones were extremely comfortable to wear, but ONLY when you could convince the yokes to hold the drivers at the correct height. I regularly found myself readjusting the placement as they continually slid down my ears. Hopefully the production model will address this issue.

Overall, I found the performance of these headphones to easily be in the same ballpark as the HE-500 and LCD2. Considering they're in the same price range with basically a free amp, they do pose a huge value potential. Will I be in the first group to own them? Tough to say. Considering I already have a nice traditional amp and a good bit invested in tubes, I'll probably own the LCD2's first. That said, I do see myself owning a pair of these.

Prototype Headphone 1 and M-10 solid state amp ($800):

Production Headphone 1 (from KS's website):

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #58 of 163
I'll leave my impressions when I get the chance to type em all up, but to start, can the owner of the DIY amp my Q701's are plugged into please speak out or PM me, I have a question or two :)

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #59 of 163
Quote:

Big ThanKs to Vertical & the young man( didn't Catch your user name Hoped you won your Hockey Game) that also helped with Running the power strips & extension cords
Kenman345 thanks for remembering to bring the auction bid sheets.

np! 

The young man was DutchGFX.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #60 of 163
These are rather random, and they are mostly of the people at the meet, as opposed to only equipment. If someone would prefer not to appear here, my apologies—please PM me and I'll take the photo down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back