Official NY/Regional Spring Meet, April 20 2013 impressions
Apr 21, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #31 of 163
Quote:
Hey guys

I am the member from Ireland who attended. I was a little apprehensive as Ireland doesn't have a great deal of Audiophile equipment so i probably know less than almost everybody on this site.

However people couldn't have been nicer. From Tom the organizer who was incredibly welcoming, Dimitri who spent ages with me letting me try all types of IEMs and generally being a great guy, Dale who also had me jacked up with some great IEMs, The Beyer guys who took me through most of their range, Dan from MrSpeakers who was also very accommodating.

Particular thanks to the HiFiMan rep, i had an almost religious experience listening to the HE6 headphones through the $1600 amp. He spent time with me near the end of the meet when he should have been packing up, and i am now planning on saving for a set of HE6s.

Lastly thanks to Scott who explained loads about Amps ad gave me a whole new understanding about how to select a good rig.

After all of the fun yesterday i added a set of Grado SR 255s today, my first open cans and I'm sitting in the airport ready to fly back to Ireland listening to them right now.

Thanks for being so welcoming and I'm looking forward to trying to co-ordinate a trip when the next meet is on.

Glad you had a good time,this is why we do meets.

Sorry About Your Wallet
beyersmile.png

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #32 of 163
So true... I'm ready to blow $1k on the UERM. It's all your fault! :p

Quote:
Glad you had a good time,this is why we do meets.

Sorry About Your Wallet
beyersmile.png

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #34 of 163
Quote:

That was me last year. Thankfully I don't have 1k to spend on IEMs. But darn it if they didn't make it tempting last year.

However, right now I'm content with my ASG-1s. The sound is really growing on me. And when Aurisonics figures out the upgrade thing, I'll be set for a long while.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #35 of 163
Quote:

That was me last year. Thankfully I don't have 1k to spend on IEMs. But darn it if they didn't make it tempting last year.

However, right now I'm content with my ASG-1s. The sound is really growing on me. And when Aurisonics figures out the upgrade thing, I'll be set for a long while.

I actually wasn't a fan of the ASGs. Their sound signatures weren't to my liking. I really like the reference sounding IEMs a lot more than the others.

Quote:
Only 1k I must be slipping
biggrin.gif

I'm only a college student!

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #36 of 163
Quote:
I actually wasn't a fan of the ASGs. Their sound signatures weren't to my liking. I really like the reference sounding IEMs a lot more than the others.

I'm only a college student!

I liked the sound of the ASG-2s. The ASG-1s weren't as good to my ears, but the sound is starting to grow on me. And I'm starting to like how they sound, and understanding their strengths. They aren't reference IEMs by any means, but they don't sound bad with anything, which is nice. I'll probably buy a pair of reference cans down the line, but honestly, for me, I can't see the reason for getting a reference IEM at the present time. I thought that is what I wanted a year ago, but then I realized I'd rather have that for home use than portable.

Maybe down the line I'll get a pair of reference IEMs. But that's for another day. And again, I just don't have 1K for reference IEMs. The ASG-1s do the job that I need nicely, and I got them at a knockout price.

(and honestly, I liked them better than the UE900 for a few reasons)

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #37 of 163
I had a wonderful time once again.  I'm starting to do less listening and more schmoozing but I did have a couple of ah-ha's.

First of all, I was very pleasantly surprised to hear how good Alan's Fostex 900 headphones sounded.  They seemed to do pretty much everything well.
I had not been impressed with (lower tier?) Fostex at past meets and almost passed these by, but they are sweet.

Justin's Blue Hawaii was sounding great with Chinese tubes that he may offer as an option in the future.  I look forward to hearing a comparison with the current stock tubes.
Maybe next time Justin will bring two amps again (like last year) so we can compare the tube options?

Ari's setup was sounding fine, as always.  Moon Audio showed some inexpensive electrostatics that may set a new bar for low end electrostatics (sub $1k I think).
Jack's Fireflies dac/amp (WA7?) is a work of art, and also sounded pretty nice.  I can see that in my future as a very nice graduation present for a daughter heading off to college.

Thanks to Tom for another great show.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #38 of 163
I feel so incredibly fortunate to have been able to attend that meet for a short time and soo soo much to take in it was mind blowing experience for a newbie like me, but my wallet just felt a hit as I just bought a beyer T90 and I like thank all those who brought their gear as it was soo helpful to hear the best and figure out what I actually really like and help figure out that "road map" to what to save up for next lol.
Edit: also have to say those maddogs are now on my radar
And I would never have had these new clear descisions were it not for that meet.
Cant thank you guys enough!

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #39 of 163
Just got back home after a very short but fun weekend in NYC. A brief post for now as it's late and I have to get to sleep, will post impressions and pics later on. Another epic NY meet and a big thanks to bozebuttons for continuing to organize them! Although I was at the meet for only a few hours (let's just say something conspired against me in my goal to wake up early enough to be there at around 10 AM-ish), I had a great (if brief) time there. If I had been at the meet a lot earlier I would've taken the time to meet new Head-Fiers and put names to faces. Oh well, maybe next time, because there will almost certainly be a next time. Can never get enough of NYC and the NYC meets! The best Head-Fi meets in the best city on the planet! And no I'm not biased, because I don't live there and I've been to meets all over the country!
tongue.gif

Btw, if it helps anyone identify me, I was one of two guys who got into a brief bidding war on the UE 900 during the auction. 
wink.gif
Anyone know who the other bidder was? Just curious who I was up against, dang that guy was persistent!

I did think it was funny/coincidental that there were 4 Head-Fi meets in the country on 4/20 - this one, the North Carolina one, the Omaha NE one, and the Michigan one, but conspicuously there haven't been that many impressions posts from any of them yet, considering the reported attendance size of each one (though the Omaha one gets a break for having the smallest attendance, which was the other meet that I was thinking about attending due to its proximity from CO). I've been seeing a trend of comparatively fewer impressions posts after meets these days. Wouldn't most people take the time to at least say thanks to the organizer? I'm starting to wonder if the majority of Head-Fiers that attend meets are getting anything out of them, if the Meet Impressions forum is any indication.

Quote:
thought we needed one of these. I was one of the youngest there, most people were very nice to me, with the exception of the mrspeakers rep, he was rude/passive aggressive to me.

This just makes me ask why you think he was rude/passive aggressive. As others have already said, Dan of MrSpeakers was really nice - scratch that, is a really nice guy. This was the second time that I've seen him (the first time was at last year's RMAF) and he came across as very friendly and nice both times, and someone I'd have no qualms in buying something from (as I suspect I might be doing soon).

Quote:
Some s.o.b. decided to liberate a CD out of the collection I brought along for people to listen to on the brand new Little Dot CDP_II David sent me, as he had no CDP_I's left.  Though the cost of one liberated CD is near nil to me and easily replaceable, after the event I no longer felt all my gear was 'safe' left alone as I normally would think I could.  I buried all my CDs in my travel containers, and I felt compelled to keep an eye on my stuff lest the perpetrator return and decide to liberate something that was more valuable to me off my headphone display or lift the E17 I had there in its  dock serving DAC duties to all my amps.  

Another "no offense" here, but I'd consider it extremely unlikely that you'll get your CD back now, after having posted that. I'd think that if you'd posted something more like "I lost <xxx> CD at the meet, did anyone take it? Reward offered for its return" you might have had a chance of getting it back.

Apr 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #40 of 163
So I've been away for some time. Haven't been to a meet in years. One of my main reasons for going was to return a pair of DX1000 I repaired for a buddy of mine/fellow Head-Fi'er. Being at the meet reminded me of the terrific community that is Head-Fi. I did not mingle much and did not stay long but would stop every so often and observe. I just kept seeing a good group of people having a good time anchored by a shared passion.

Hats off to all that keep this going. Felt good to plug myself back in even though for a brief moment.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #41 of 163
Quote:
I feel so incredibly fortunate to have been able to attend that meet for a short time and soo soo much to take in it was mind blowing experience for a newbie like me, but my wallet just felt a hit as I just bought a beyer T90 and I like thank all those who brought their gear as it was soo helpful to hear the best and figure out what I actually really like and help figure out that "road map" to what to save up for next lol.
Edit: also have to say those maddogs are now on my radar
And I would never have had these new clear descisions were it not for that meet.
Cant thank you guys enough!

What made you buy the T90? I was really looking forward to Beyerdynamic's table when i went to the meet, but I was pretty disappointed by what they had to offer. I felt like the guys there weren't too knowledgeable about hi-fi stuff. There was also only one cd player feeding to a chain of Beyerdynamic A1s. I wasn't blown away by how the t5p, and t1 sounded from my fuze -> A1. I understand that they're supposed to only show their products... but the A1 doesn't show how good their headphones could be. 

Now the T90 was probably the biggest disappointment. I've already read reviews and comments by zombie_x about them, and I can confirm what he says about them. The t90's treble was really weird sounding to m. It was fine for orchestral music but everything else, the treble hurt my ears. Did you try the t90 on a different setup other than at the Beyer table?

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #42 of 163
Quote:
What made you buy the T90? I was really looking forward to Beyerdynamic's table when i went to the meet, but I was pretty disappointed by what they had to offer. I felt like the guys there weren't too knowledgeable about hi-fi stuff. There was also only one cd player feeding to a chain of Beyerdynamic A1s. I wasn't blown away by how the t5p, and t1 sounded from my fuze -> A1. I understand that they're supposed to only show their products... but the A1 doesn't show how good their headphones could be. 

Now the T90 was probably the biggest disappointment. I've already read reviews and comments by zombie_x about them, and I can confirm what he says about them. The t90's treble was really weird sounding to m. It was fine for orchestral music but everything else, the treble hurt my ears. Did you try the t90 on a different setup other than at the Beyer table?

To each their own but driving a 600 ohm headphone from a Fuze is not exactly optimal. Full disclosure: I'm a big fan of Beyerdynamic and looking forward to purchasing a pair of T1s. I think they handle everything I throw at it (Classical, Electronic, IDM, Chill, Jazz, Blues) quite nicely. I see them being my go to everyday headphone.

I was quite surprised at how open the T90 is. Had a hard time giving them a real good listen since there was a lot of talking going on behind me and those headphones do not isolate at all. What I heard I thought was okay but it didn't inspire me to look into them further.

Tried the T5. The closed vs semi-open of the T1 was obvious but they were nice. Really enjoyed them and their slightly dark sound (I'm coming from my fav DT990/600).

Spent quite a bit of time at Beyer's table. :)

I tested everything from my iMod/Headstage set up so I was always listening from a common source.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #43 of 163
I just remembered, I also tried the ASG-2. Nice sounding IEM which isolated quite nicely. I found them to be natural sounding with decent soundstage. They certainly do a nice job with guitar music. Listened to one of my fav SRV tunes and quite enjoyed what I heard. I thought they were a bit lacking in the top-end though... and this from a guy who tends to like rolled off highs since I tend to be very sensitive to treble. I mentioned this to the guy who was tending to me and he was surprised and made reference to the unit's specs. I decided not to get into the age old discussion that specs don't tell the complete story - especially when it comes to audio equipment.

I imagine the ASG-2 would be nice to just kick back and have a relaxed listening session with.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #44 of 163
Quote:

To each their own but driving a 600 ohm headphone from a Fuze is not exactly optimal. Full disclosure: I'm a big fan of Beyerdynamic and looking forward to purchasing a pair of T1s. I think they handle everything I throw at it (Classical, Electronic, IDM, Chill, Jazz, Blues) quite nicely. I see them being my go to everyday headphone.

I was quite surprised at how open the T90 is. Had a hard time giving them a real good listen since there was a lot of talking going on behind me and those headphones do not isolate at all. What I heard I thought was okay but it didn't inspire me to look into them further.

Tried the T5. The closed vs semi-open of the T1 was obvious but they were nice. Really enjoyed them and their slightly dark sound (I'm coming from my fav DT990/600).

Spent quite a bit of time at Beyer's table. :)

I tested everything from my iMod/Headstage set up so I was always listening from a common source.

My fuze was just the source. I used the A1 amp for most of my testing. I probably should have asked them if I could take the headphones to another table to use with a tube amp. Beyers, to me, don't sound good unless they're powered by a tube amp.

I'm a huge fan of Beyer as well, I currently own the T70 and I used to have the dt770, 880, and 990.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #45 of 163
All,

Special thanks to Tom and everyone for another great headphone meet, and for decur22 for helping me with the ride over and letting me pair up
his Sony R10s with the Bellina HPA.  As others have already mentioned, they are sweeeeet sounding headphones!  Thanks to everyone
who stopped over to give a listen, including Steve Guttenberg of cnet's Audiophiliac.  And it was nice to see Jude join our meet as well!

Kenman - thanks for letting me listen to the Teraplayer.  I was surprised to see how quick and responsive it was to navigating through albums
even though it doesn't have a display.  

I enjoyed meeting new faces and seeing ones from previous meets.  And the weather was perfect for going outside to grab some lunch - thanks, guys!

Looking forward to the Fall meet!

Vinnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back