Official New York Spring Meet 5.2.15 Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #106 of 116

I have always enjoyed music and began my audiophile journey about 40 years ago. It has mostly been in the area of full size systems with Carver, NAD, Proton, Klispch Heritage Series etc. etc. quality of equipment.  I have owned good headphones through the years such as Koss Pro4AA but never was too serious about it. I was using Klispch S4 IEMs with a Sandisk Clip Zip and decided to upgrade the Klispch this past November I discovered Head-Fi.org and that is where it all begins.

I mentioned to my partner, Paula I was thinking about going to the meet almost as a joke. The more I read and thought about it the more serious I became. I decided yes I am going and as we do little apart (by choice) I asked if she would like to go she said yes and that was that. We arrived about 9:45am walked in and it was WOW. I’m going to get to listen to some equipment I had been only able to read about and spend a day with people who love it as much as I do. I set up my Schiit and was ready to go. My first stop was Inner Sanctum Audio.  They had 2 of the closed cans on my list of must hear for next purchase in November my 60 th . I tried the M&D H40 first then the Alpha Dogs. That experience alone made the 298 mile 5 hour trip worth it. I might need to get two pair. Checked out several other vendors Aurisonics, Beyerdynamic (now the T70P is on the list), RHA, Woo Audio to mention a few. They were all fantastic.

I had the great pleasure of being set up next to Kerry. His self-built rig and Stax O2’s sounded so good. That was the highlight of the meet for me. Kerry is a true master. I made a comment to him that my first mistake was finding Head-Fi.org  my second was staying there. He quickly replied your third was coming here. So true a really good and bad thing LOL. I got to hear the Senn HD650, HD800 both on my list of must hear someday. I had a few people come over and check out my modest setup. I believe I was the only one with Schiit Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack. I did see them as separates but no as a pair.

Paula who is or should I say was clueless about all this enjoyed the meet so much she is already planning for the fall. That’s saying a lot considering her main interest was “what came today in the mail and how much did it cost”. All joking aside she is a true Gem to put up with my new not inexpensive hobby. I promise nothing more until November birthday. Unless I really need it!

Everyone was so friendly and giving of their knowledge and use of equipment. It was also pretty cool to have a few people recognize my Head-Fi handle.  I would like to thank everyone who organized the meet. We got to meet some great people see and hear some incredible equipment. As a fairly new Head-Fier and first time meet goer I say to anyone who has a chance go. It’s a plethora of information, equipment and extremely knowledgeable folks.  On the way out I was stopped by writer, Steve Guttenberg for an interview. His first question what was the best headphone I ever heard. I pointed to Kerry and said his self-built rig with the Stax02. At the door on the way out we got to spend a few minutes with Tom aka: bozebuttons thanking him for a wonderful time and expressing a few thoughts and impressions with him. See you all in the fall.
Rick aka: bikerboy94

May 15, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #108 of 116
In taking to Peter from Beyerdynamics, he was very excited to tell me that Beyer had 3 new headphones coming to market in the fall. Something along the lines of a new and and improved T1 and 2 other additions to their line. Going back to the DT naming convention.

I also wanted to comment on the Aursonic Rockets. I came to the meet with the intentions of buying one for the bike, due to their quality sound and infamously strong cable design. However i found the gain in the Rocket too weak coming directly out of android/ios.
I told Dale and he amped them out of a Fiio that he had, and then i saw their potential. But i don't want to carry multiple boxes on the bike for volume.
He told me he designed then for the younger crowd who listen way too loud. But that is a deal breaker for me.
I then ťried Iain's RHA 10 and except for the "spring-wired" ear memory cable, i liked the sound and the craftsmanship more, plus they are $50 cheaper. Looking forward to trying their new and improved version (20s?)

May 16, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #109 of 116
Hi guys, I noticed we were talking about the Audio Zenith PMx2 and if you guys would like to share more impressions and stuff:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/766713/audio-zenith-pmx2-impressions-page

Thanks!

May 18, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #110 of 116
Hi guys, I noticed we were talking about the Audio Zenith PMx2 and if you guys would like to share more impressions and stuff:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/766713/audio-zenith-pmx2-impressions-page

Thanks!

Just wanted to quickly add my two cents as an Oppo PM-2 owner that the AZ PMx2 is really a great headphone and very significant improvement on the stock PM-2. I have been insanely busy of late but will add a little more color when I do my write up this week of the wonderful NY meet and then try to give more detailed impressions as well in the new PMx2 thread. But great job on these, Alex.

May 21, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #111 of 116
I do not remember who, but someone lent Vinnie a CD Transport. I was wondering if they can let me know what it was called, I was wanting to look up more about it.

May 22, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #113 of 116
I then ťried Iain's RHA 10 and except for the "spring-wired" ear memory cable, i liked the sound and the craftsmanship more, plus they are $50 cheaper. Looking forward to trying their new and improved version (20s?)

T20 - early July!

Would have loved to have been able to bring one with me.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #114 of 116
I dont remember who it was, but someone was working on a custom DIY streaming media center unit. They had a lot o boards laid out and stuff.

I was reading this article and thought it would be a cool item to add to the parts list. If you follow a few links in there you can see that they are taking preorders for the next production run.

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/r2r-for-the-rest-of-us/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back