OFFICIAL NEW YORK CITY MEET. Saturday Nov 13th, 12pm - 5pm
Nov 13, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #421 of 448
Hello, Drew!

Thanks for your efforts. I'm very much looking forward to hearing your creations tomorrow.

Regards,
Peter

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #422 of 448
It's unfortunate that you can't come Tom. I wish you and your family well. Is somebody picking up or are you sending your Omega IIs and SACD1000?

Is there even any electrostatic amp? Canman, are you bringing yours?

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #423 of 448
Without Tom's equipment, will we still have an electrostatic amp? If not, it makes no sense for me to bring my Omega II's.

Hope things go well, Tom.

Edit: lan and I wrote the same thing, one minute apart.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #424 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
You mean for headphone miniplugs? I have a few I will bring along. I'm not sure these make all that much difference though. A Radio Shack one is probably the same thing as a Grado one.

I've had a few different miserable experiences with Rat Shack adapters. Besides messing with the sound, their cheap plugs look pretty but obviously quality control costs too much. Some didn't make decent contact while others nearly got stuck in the jacks.

Oy.
mad.gif

If you have better, please bring it/them. Thanks.
tongue.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #425 of 448
No one has posted that they will be bringing an electrostatic amp besides bozebuttons, to the best of my knowledge.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #426 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
I've had a few different miserable experiences with Rat Shack adapters. Besides messing with the sound, their cheap plugs look pretty but obviously quality control costs too much. Some didn't make decent contact while others nearly got stuck in the jacks.

Oy.
mad.gif

If you have better, please bring it/them. Thanks.
tongue.gif

I've got quite a collection of the little buggers. I'm not even sure where they all came from. Maybe you can tell me which ones are the good ones.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #427 of 448
Tom I hope everything is ok with your family. Take care of what you need to, and no worries on this end - if it gets too crazy over there don't even worry about the sources, we'll figure things out.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #428 of 448
Erik -

So busy packing for tomorrow I almost forgot to report:

I succeeded in wresting from Fedex the little box that Guru sent with:

[size=x-small]Ray's low-gain SR-71 and his Sony CD25 PCDP. [/size]

I've been A/B-ing it for a few hours with The Portaphile using the Silver Dragon IC.

Very Very Interesting. Can't comment until I've hear his high-gain unit tomorrow (for my 501s of course) but it bears some serious discussion -- with Ray first, if possible.

I've already packed the Jecklin Floats and a plain black 1/4" in-and-out (A/B?) switchbox for Ray.

Cheers --
Peter

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #429 of 448
i cant bear to pack up just yet- still listening to the holy trinity of U.K. amps here - maaannnnn right now i want ALL THREE. oh and btw the Amber is ready to sizzle a steak on top of it. and it just rattled me with a bass sample that buzzed me into a nosebleed.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #430 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i cant bear to pack up just yet- still listening to the holy trinity of U.K. amps here - maaannnnn right now i want ALL THREE. oh and btw the Amber is ready to sizzle a steak on top of it. and it just rattled me with a bass sample that buzzed me into a nosebleed.

The Pinkie. That cat was as fast as lightning. I just realized - the Solo is FAST. I just realized what this means, because i just switched from the Amber to the Solo and i was like "the rate of decay seems to be much quicker, but it's not like it's being sucked away, it's...oh, it's FAST!"

BTW the Amber still has the biggest soundstage, with the WNA coming 2nd and Solo 3rd.

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #431 of 448
I usually associate speed with attack and body more so than decay. A slower rate of decay is sometimes preferable. If the other amps are lasting longer, that could just mean they have more finesse. Anyway I'm not commenting more till I hear these. Try them out on better sources and and cables tomorrow.

I wouldn't make any more comments, you could influence people. That's what happens at meets. Somebody says something and other people look for that then agree.

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #432 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I usually associate speed with attack and body more so than decay. A slower rate of decay is sometimes preferable. If the other amps are lasting longer, that could just mean they have more finesse. Anyway I'm not commenting more till I hear these. Try them out on better sources and and cables tomorrow.

I wouldn't make any more comments, you could influence people. That's what happens at meets. Somebody says something and other people look for that then agree.

uh oh i was about to say the very..ah what the heck i'll say it. the Solo reminds me of the MS-2, the Amber of the SR225, and the WNA of the SR200. there. i've said it.
evil_smiley.gif

anyhow between the amber and solo, the attack is stronger on the amber, but more body in the solo, so which is faster? btw i agree with having decay being lingering enough so the amp is lush versus brittle/dry, but no worries, imho the solo isn't dry. eh i've said enough i think you are right lan. time to pack these babies up. (listening to the WNA as i type - i can hear vinyl scraping along in one of the samples, insane.)

I can't...stop...myself! Had to try the Darth Beyers with the Amber amp - omg my cans sound like UTTER CRAP. what is going on? lil better with the WNA but still pretty crappy. the Solo is the only one that actually draws out the midbass and doesn't thin out the highs - the DT770 just is shamed tho by the SR200, that's the danger of testing with one can all night long then switching immediately to another. WHOABASSKICKEDIN do you think this might have something to do with the 600 ohms?

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #433 of 448
jahn,
if you need extra cables i have some monster cables you can pick up. i also have a modded samsung dvd player if you need more sources. later

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #434 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
jahn,
if you need extra cables i have some monster cables you can pick up. i also have a modded samsung dvd player if you need more sources. later

1911, no wonder the suhmeister hightailed it out of philly man - those monster cables would scare anyone away!

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #435 of 448
if ray samuels is gonna be there is it possible to buy gear from him or is he in a "non-business" kinda mode.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back