Official: New York Area Meet, Nov 20, White Plains, NY
Nov 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #91 of 146

Quote:
Quote:
Nice pictures! That diner trip was interesting, pretty incredible that they managed to cram us all in on such short notice.  Although if you look closely in the lower picture, you can see Jude and Fang in the corner by themselves.

Look even more closely and you can see Larry and Charles too.  That was actually the power table. 

Don't forget Kerry was there too.  It was actually interesting how a lot of the conversation went to IT work and I loved the cloud network part of the conversation.  Jude also gave us part of the story of how head-fi got started.

Asr, that wasn't Kerry's BH that was his KGTT.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #92 of 146

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nice pictures! That diner trip was interesting, pretty incredible that they managed to cram us all in on such short notice.  Although if you look closely in the lower picture, you can see Jude and Fang in the corner by themselves.

Look even more closely and you can see Larry and Charles too.  That was actually the power table. 

Don't forget Kerry was there too.  It was actually interesting how a lot of the conversation went to IT work and I loved the cloud network part of the conversation.  Jude also gave us part of the story of how head-fi got started.

That sounds like it would have been incredibly interesting to hear. As a web developer, I wish I knew a bit more about how the infrastructure for Head-Fi was handled.

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #93 of 146

Quote:
I had my Exemplar SACD Player there. In the past I've brought my Exemplar (OPPO) BDP-83SE and an assortment of 24/192 DVD-A discs along with my PS Audio PWD and I found very little interest in anyone wanting to listen to my 24/192 titles. Aaron had his Exemplar (Oppo) BDP-83 that would play SACD and DVD-A. There's usually a few computer based rigs that can do up to 24/96, but since they tend to be USB based I tend to ignore them. (I'm not a USB fan).

I am in the process of ripping my Classic Records HDAD 24/192 and 24/96 DVD-A discs to my 4 TB music server. Unfortunately there is no chance of my hauling a 60 lb. server along with the necessary ancillaries and the PWD to a meet, I did it once a couple years ago and people ignored the system.

I also brought a MacBookPro with a 1TB external drive full of hi-res music and an Apogee Duet 96/24 firewire interface which several folks stopped to listen to.  I've been buying hi-res files from the HDTracks and Linn web sites as well as digitizing my LP collection for several years with a variety of firewire A/D converters.  With the right editing software and TLC, the LP rips sound far better than the run of the mill commercial CD's of the same title.  Of course, living within walking distance of the Princeton record Exchange helps too! 
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #94 of 146

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That sounds like it would have been incredibly interesting to hear. As a web developer, I wish I knew a bit more about how the infrastructure for Head-Fi was handled.

I felt unworthy sitting at the table.  So I tried to stay quiet and soak in more info.  I enjoy being around the head-fiers since I have learned so much by just listening and reading.  I spent most of the meet squeezing Kerry for information as it was 
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #95 of 146
TTVJ Apex Peak/Volcano: I forgot to post about this one before. I used my own Audeze LCD-2 on this amp and while I can't conclusively say if it's a good amp for the headphones or not, it did sound pretty good with a good assertion to the mid-range/mid-bass. In fact, I had a more positive impression of the LCD-2 with this amp than with the HeadRoom Balanced Home. It should be noted that the Apex Peak was not using the stock tube though - and from what I can tell from the pic I took, it looks like a Shugang Treasure of some type.

Quote:
Region2 said:

Indeed, post has been corrected. (I've seen Kerry's KGBH and hence should've caught that.)

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #96 of 146

Quote:
TTVJ Apex Peak/Volcano: I forgot to post about this one before. I used my own Audeze LCD-2 on this amp and while I can't conclusively say if it's a good amp for the headphones or not, it did sound pretty good with a good assertion to the mid-range/mid-bass. In fact, I had a more positive impression of the LCD-2 with this amp than with the HeadRoom Balanced Home. It should be noted that the Apex Peak was not using the stock tube though - and from what I can tell from the pic I took, it looks like a Shugang Treasure of some type.

Quote:
Region2 said:

Indeed, post has been corrected. (I've seen Kerry's KGBH and hence should've caught that.)

Thank you for pointed out the tube roll.  I listened to the amp with my HD-600's and was impressed, however, I had assumed it was stock.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #97 of 146
The LCD2 sounds pretty good on my HR Balanced Home but great on my Balancing Act. The Bal Home is used mostly with my HD800. Headphone/Amp pairing is critical.

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #98 of 146

Quote:
You did see vcoheda's and Yikes's sources, right?

I did see and hear vcoheda's source since my set up was right next to his however he only had the Meridian G08 at the meet and this a standard CD player. I did not see or hear Yikes' set up. (see below)

Quote:
I had my Exemplar SACD Player there. In the past I've brought my Exemplar (OPPO) BDP-83SE and an assortment of 24/192 DVD-A discs along with my PS Audio PWD and I found very little interest in anyone wanting to listen to my 24/192 titles. Aaron had his Exemplar (Oppo) BDP-83 that would play SACD and DVD-A. There's usually a few computer based rigs that can do up to 24/96, but since they tend to be USB based I tend to ignore them. (I'm not a USB fan).

I am in the process of ripping my Classic Records HDAD 24/192 and 24/96 DVD-A discs to my 4 TB music server. Unfortunately there is no chance of my hauling a 60 lb. server along with the necessary ancillaries and the PWD to a meet, I did it once a couple years ago and people ignored the system.

I'm sorry that we didn't get to chat about hi-res music and computer based music servers since this is an area of great interest to me. I also have a music server with close to 5TB of flac files on it.

Quote:
I also brought a MacBookPro with a 1TB external drive full of hi-res music and an Apogee Duet 96/24 firewire interface which several folks stopped to listen to.  I've been buying hi-res files from the HDTracks and Linn web sites as well as digitizing my LP collection for several years with a variety of firewire A/D converters.  With the right editing software and TLC, the LP rips sound far better than the run of the mill commercial CD's of the same title.  Of course, living within walking distance of the Princeton record Exchange helps too! 
wink.gif

I'm also sorry that I failed to check out your set up and exchange ideas/info about hi-rez music with you as well.

So based on the above, I've already established a dire need to attend the upcoming NYC spring meet! (Like any of us really need another reason to go a meet).

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #100 of 146
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos

Quote:
WOW. I`m really sorry I missed this............School me please, what are these LCD2s your talking about? I guess I`ll have to wait a long time for the next one. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #101 of 146
I had asked Brownie Lady not to make any of her brownies for the fall meet. She spends 4 hours in the wee hours of the morning making  the brownies for the meets (keeping Ray up on the couch all night long). But there were very little comments last spring, or requests this fall for brownies to be made for the fall meet.
It costs her $45 to make the brownies and if people weren't going to comment on them last spring or requests for them this fall, I saw no reason for her to lose 4 hours of sleep to make something that people showed no appreciation for in the last 2 meets (a little tap on the shoulder goes a long way). It's as if people are taking her hard earned efforts very casually (and for granted).
So, if people want them to be at the spring meet, please request them, and give kudos for a job well done. A little appreciation goes a long way. She would have made them anyway, but I felt she was not being appreciated.
For those of you who want them at the spring meet, you know what to do. A little bit goes a long way.

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #102 of 146
I had asked Brownie Lady not to make any of her brownies for the fall meet. She spends 4 hours in the wee hours of the morning making  the brownies for the meets (keeping Ray up on the couch all night long). But there were very little comments last spring, or requests this fall for brownies to be made for the fall meet.
It costs her $45 and 4 hours to make the brownies and if people weren't going to comment on them last spring or requests for them this fall, I saw no reason for her to lose 4 hours of sleep to make something that people showed no appreciation for in the last 2 meets (a little pat on the shoulder goes a long way). It's as if people are taking her hard earned efforts very casually (and for granted).
So, if people want them to be at the spring meet, please request them, and give kudos for a job well done. A little appreciation goes a long way. She would have made them anyway, but I felt she was not being appreciated.
For those of you who want them at the spring meet, you know what to do. A little bit goes a long way.

As Joni Mtchell once sad, "You don't know what you got "til it's gone." Life is too short to take the yummy things for granted.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #103 of 146

Quote:
It costs her $45 to make the brownies and if people weren't going to comment on them last spring or requests for them this fall, I saw no reason for her to lose 4 hours of sleep to make something that people showed no appreciation for in the last 2 meets (a little tap on the shoulder goes a long way). It's as if people are taking her hard earned efforts very casually (and for granted).

Looks like future NY meets are going to be BYOB (bring your own brownies).  How awful.
With the BYOB policy, there's simply no chance of future International Head-Fi meets being in NY.
So Sad.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #105 of 146
At our March meet, if brownies are requested, Brownie Lady would be more than happy to make them. She gets a great deal of joy seeing the look on people's face when they bite into one. It's just that no one mentioned them and I felt that she was doing thankless work. The look on people's face is akin to the new Powerball (I think it's Powerball) commercial, where the guy is jumping onto a pile of Chuckie Cheese balls, which are actually Powerballs. 

Poor Ray has to hear the mixer going at 3 a.m. while he is sleeping on the couch, and smell that oh so good smell of thick, rich chocolate during his REM. It could be psychologically damaging. Tests are inconclusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back