Official March 21st NYC Meet Thread
Mar 22, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #19 of 177
A meet impression:

Sennheiser Orpheus > holy $h!t, i nearly cried

an amazing first meet for me, so many new audio experiences, (K1000,O2,HP-2,Jade,GS1000,SA5000,ED9,RS1 etc) (missed the R10s) im not even gonna get into the amazing amplification / source gear that was floating around.

thanks head-fi for being you, and thanks to all the organizers and sponsors

very much worth the 6 hour round trip from providence

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #21 of 177
Definitely a good meet. Good to see everyone.

Impressions? Well, one that matters...
The only thing better than how the BHSE looks is how it sounds.

This thing is the real deal. Justin has outdone himself.

Other impressions will follow tomorrow. Just walked in after a 5 hour return trip.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 177
First and foremost - many thanks to Aaron (immtbiker) for setting up an awesome meet! The brownies were yummy too
wink.gif
Thanks also goes to the vendors for their generosity and of course fellow Head-Fi'ers as a meet won't exactly be a meet without you
wink.gif
It was great seeing some familiar faces from my last meet.

Now for some initial impressions:

1) My priority was to hear the BHSE with my O2MK1 and I did just that. I didn't get much of a chance to hear the many other awesome rigs there as the BHSE just took up the majority of my listening time. To put it simply, the BHSE was well worth the 1+ year wait. Hurry and ship them Justin! As previously stated by members that have heard the O2s with BHSE, they really "woke up". The amp gives that last bit of jolt for the O2s to sound "whole". I don't know if the O2s can sound any better than this.

2) As much as the BHSE monopolized my listening time, it was still not enough to resist the temptation of the Orpheus set up directly across from it (how convenient!). It was paired with the HE90V and sounded glorious. It was the first time that I was able to listen for 10+ minutes with them on. They are truly magical with everything sounding just right, especially for classical genres, but may be a bit too formal for rock (O2s really excel @ this). If I had 8K burning a hole in my pocket, I'd go for them
wink.gif

3) I briefly listened to the new balanced amp from Woo audio and can say that they have a winner. The sound was very dynamic and rich - really gets your feet tapping. This was assessed with AKG K701, which never really had a good standing with me. One gripe I had with the amp was the dual-pot control, which sometimes can be a task to truly level balance both channels. However, I believe Woo audio plans to change the design to a single pot.

That's it for now. Will post more when I can collect all my thoughts.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #30 of 177
first of all i'd like to extend thanks to Aaron for organizing this shindig, Telica for her wonderful brownies, all the vendors/mots both for their great displays as well as their generous donations to the meet (we had the luxury and elbow room of being set up in 2 rooms this time, each with it's own set of tantalizing treats! - but at additional expense that had to be covered) as well as the donations from the diyers and just general meet participants, and lastly to the great head-fi crew for taking the time and making the effort that it takes to make this THE regional meet to attend - it's so much fun! (of course the national is an event unto itself and anyone who can make it should get their behind over there!) people came from throughout the northeast and Drew of Moon Audio came up from NC. just checking stuff out and catching up with folks takes quite a bit of time so it's not really possible to get to give all these great set ups a spin. as you'll be hearing mentioned over and over the stax O2mk2 paired with the beautiful blue hawaii is a special treat. voodochile's extension of a mad kit is as professional looking a diy amp (and better looking than most manufactured products) as you'll ever see. nmaher's menace is, well, menacing. nikongod's diy work continues to become ever more impressive. vpivinylspinner's reel to reel set up was a blast (especially when he played that blue grass at high speed). drubrew's cary rig was real nice - jack's senn 650s with jenna cable amped by the xciter was potent. woo audios amps are just luscious - the wa6 se being a particularly special amp, and i look forward to seeing how the balanced amp prototype progresses towards a production unit. there were a couple of examples of red wine's battery powered h'phone amp making nice sounds driving 701s, denons, and audio-technicas. decur's cool rudi was fed by the compact wavelength gear and in turn drove both lawton audio denons and gorgeous AT woodies. head direct showed serious sounding updated ear clips, iems, nifty compact hybrid amps with clear tops showing off their innards, recabled senns, the lovely sounding jade 'stats. s2 audio had their nice plywood headphone stand as well as a combo amp/phone stand and a new headphone holder that will slide onto a shelf or desk. igor's walker based equipment rack was da bomb - i want one! dave-the-raves's rig running his r10s continues to inch foward in it's already high performance, and those big sonys sounded sweet in vcoheda's b52 based rig. and danny's idea of 'low end crap' being a glorious example of an orpheus rig, well he'll just have to keep bringing more of his l.e.c. to future meets! i'm sure you'll be seeing the many faces of jude posted shortly - man he was everywhere! i'm sure that there's a bunch of stuff i didn't mention that others may get to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back