Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,056 of 3,817
This is a thing - http://www.head-fi.org/t/793700/hifiman-shangri-la-the-new-electrostatic-headphones-from-hifiman#post_12227527

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,057 of 3,817
I agree; have got mine since december '15 but find them too large as well. Thinking of sending them back and getting them adjusted more to the size of my head (which is not that small, mind you). I think Hifiman should spend more attention to this problem. The HE500 had the same problem and I had to modify those to make a more perfect fit.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #2,058 of 3,817
Noooo.... 
eek.gif

Us big head, big ear people need a headphone to call our own. This one suites me just fine 
tongue.gif

HD800 is pretty good too 
biggrin.gif

And I don't think I have a big head or big ears, but the headphone manufacturers would seem to disagree.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #2,059 of 3,817
  Noooo.... 
eek.gif

Us big head, big ear people need a headphone to call our own. This one suites me just fine 
tongue.gif

HD800 is pretty good too 
biggrin.gif

And I don't think I have a big head or big ears, but the headphone manufacturers would seem to disagree.

Did the Chinese mfr think - those Americans have big heads got to make the bands bigger! j/k.
smily_headphones1.gif
I know Dr. Bian went to Columbia.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,060 of 3,817
Anyone using hek with chord mojo? What do you think?

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #2,061 of 3,817

I am using the HEK with mojo as a DAC and either a Fostex HPV1 amp which is really good or the ALO Audio CDM which is also a DAC
Both of these amps are tubes hybrid amps which have a lot of power and very close sound signature.
The ALO is beautiful with its 2 tubes but can run hot even with single triodes. The Fostex is much better managed on the temp side and can be located in a bag for an hour without overheating. In addition the Fostex has a timed relay in line to protect the HEK or my JH16 CIEM which is not present on the CDM and will force you to unplug before turning off the amp if you do not want to end up with driver failures.
Fostex has a tad more power and better battery life than the ALO and this at a third of the price :)
They both provide the tube sound which I like a lot. In addition the volume button is for me a plus compared to the +/- buttons on the Mojo.

On the other end the Mojo has also plenty of power to drive the HEK directly, so no issue here and its warmer signature is to my ears more suitable to the HEK than the Hugo which I also have. But again you get a bigger and organic sound with these 2 tubes amp.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #2,062 of 3,817

Before Xmas I took my HE560, mojo and Note3 (dedicated to music source, all wireless turned off as well as most apps) to AudioVision in SF to check the EtherC. They also had the HEK, which I heard and loved at the SouthCal CamJam, so I decided to try it first. 

I put on my favorite/test playing list and connected them to the mojo. Wow! The size of the stage, the bass, everything was amazing. The music was coming from everywhere. At first I thought that my audio memory was playing tricks, that it could not be that much better than the HE560. I put on the HE560's and the stage became so much smaller, it was incredible. Next I listened to the EtherC and they were good, specially for a closed HP, but no comparison.

I was initially interested in a closed HP to use at work and before going to sleep (so I would not bother my wife). After hearing the HEKs I felt that I would not make sense to buy anything else. I would not be able to use them at work, but thats okay since there was no way I could concentrate on anything but the music when listening to the HEKs. I would just keep using the se846 at work.

After some soul searching I decided to get them as my Xmas gift (which implied my wife would also get a nice xmas gift). Luckily it turned out that my wife doesn't care if I listen to them in bed at night when she is falling sleep (partly because I do not like listening to loud music).

At home I have the mojo connected to Cavalli's LC and my HEK to the LC using balanced cables. I'm more than happy with the sound of the mojo, although I am considering getting an Audio-gd DAC-19 (or maybe a Master11?) since I've heard so many good things about them.

My previous DAC was a DX90, and I think the mojo sounds much better. At home I would connect the DX90 to a Lyr2 (with the HE560). When I got the mojo I first used it as a DAC connected to the Lyr2, but after some testing I thought the mojo by itself sounded much better, more transparent with a lot more detail (I started to listen to tracks that I had stopped listening with the Lyr2 because they sounded muddled). Once I got the LC I switched back to using it as a DAC at home.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,063 of 3,817
  Before Xmas I took my HE560, mojo and Note3 ....After hearing the HEKs I felt that I would not make sense to buy anything else. 

great feed back, thanks, but ... I wonder if, with portable sources like MOJO (That I also like a lot, even more than my HUGO), the HE-X may not be even better than the HE-K ?    

Of course, with powerful Amp, HE-K will always be better, but may be with less powerful sources, may be "easier to drive" nature of the HE-X may not put it above it's big brother ?  May be with MOJO the HE-K is really not at it's best ?

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #2,064 of 3,817

great feed back, thanks, but ... I wonder if, with portable sources like MOJO (That I also like a lot, even more than my HUGO), the HE-X may not be even better than the HE-K ?    

Of course, with powerful Amp, HE-K will always be better, but may be with less powerful sources, may be "easier to drive" nature of the HE-X may not put it above it's big brother ?  May be with MOJO the HE-K is really not at it's best ?

In the Chinese version of Twitter, Dr. Fang said that he always preferred the sound of HEKs, even on portable devices. So I guess it's fair to say that if you have money, always go for the HEKs rather than HEX.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,065 of 3,817
Not sure if this is the right place to post for this- 

I'm looking to acquire the HD800 S and the HE1k's in the near/immediate future. I don't have a good place to actually try before buying sadly so I was hoping to leverage some of your collective expertise. 

Currently I am looking at the Mjolner 2 and Gungnir as I think the HD800S will likely be better with the tubes and the HE1k's will be better with the solid state option which seems unique to the Mjolner 2 

Anyone have experience / recommendations for other combos that are in a similar price range? ($1.5k-3k) -not looking to break teh bank here but if there's an option that is close to that and "end-game" i'm open to it. For example, i am sort of drooling over the Mcintosh MHA100 at $4,500 
basshead.gif
blink.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,066 of 3,817
  In the Chinese version of Twitter, Dr. Fang said that he always preferred the sound of HEKs, even on portable devices. So I guess it's fair to say that if you have money, always go for the HEKs rather than HEX.

I am not surprised that Dr. Fang try to promote HE-K rather than the 2000$ less expensive HE-X on the forums ?   He is a good business man 
wink.gif
 !

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #2,067 of 3,817

I'm looking to acquire the HD800 S and the HE1k's in the near/immediate future. I don't have a good place to actually try before buying sadly so I was hoping to leverage some of your collective expertise. 

Currently I am looking at the Mjolner 2 and Gungnir as I think the HD800S will likely be better with the tubes and the HE1k's will be better with the solid state option which seems unique to the Mjolner 2 

Anyone have experience / recommendations for other combos that are in a similar price range? ($1.5k-3k) -not looking to break teh bank here but if there's an option that is close to that and "end-game" i'm open to it. For example, i am sort of drooling over the Mcintosh MHA100 at $4,500 
basshead.gif
blink.gif

If I were starting from scratch today, I would probably recommend MicroZOTL2 and Audio-gd DAC-19. Though I have not heard the two combined, I have heard such wonderful things about each. A short while ago, I would have suggested Liquid Carbon, which is my setup until I hear MicroZOTL2.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,068 of 3,817
I have both the LC and the ZOTL (getting flack for posting so much about the ZOTL), the LC is fine, the ZOTL is better, imo, of course. Costs more, that is often how it goes...

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #2,069 of 3,817

basshead.gif
blink.gif

I can't speak to the HD800 S.  I very strongly agree with others that the MicroZOTL 2 is amazing with the HE-1000s, and I also own that combination.  Great things have been said about the MHA100 with the HE-1000s as well. Goldendarko has said great things about the ALO Studio 6 with the HE-1000s.  The EF-6 from HiFiMAN is another great choice for driving the HE-1000, according to kayandjohn.  Reddog owns the Schiit Ragnarok and Yggdrasil and loves it with his HE-1000; I heard that stack with the HE-1000s at the August 8th Chicago headphone meet and I agree with reddog that it's also awesome.  There are a lot of great choices for the HE-1000s.  Enjoy. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #2,070 of 3,817

I can't speak to the HD800 S.  I very strongly agree with others that the MicroZOTL 2 is amazing with the HE-1000s, and I also own that combination.  Great things have been said about the MHA100 with the HE-1000s as well. Goldendarko has said great things about the ALO Studio 6 with the HE-1000s.  The EF-6 from HiFiMAN is another great choice for driving the HE-1000, according to kayandjohn.  Reddog owns the Schiit Ragnarok and Yggdrasil and loves it with his HE-1000; I heard that stack with the HE-1000s at the August 8th Chicago headphone meet and I agree with reddog that it's also awesome.  There are a lot of great choices for the HE-1000s.  Enjoy. 

I can't speak about the MHA100, EF-6 or MicroZOTL 2 but I have used both the Ragnarok and Studio 6 with the HE1000 (Yggy as DAC) and can unequivocally say that I think the Studio 6 is the better amp. The Ragnarok has seem serious chops too but I haven't heard anything yet that compares with the Studio Six. But it really depends on your preferance I'd say, if you prefer more "attack" and sharper, cleaner edges then the Rag may be the way to go for you (at a significant cost savings) but if your looking for a wide 3D soundstage where you can clearly hear different instruments and a smoother tone that will let you listen for longer I don't think there's a better amp than the Studio 6. In fact that was one of my issues with the Rag is that it rocked so hard I couldn't really listen for long with it before I got fatigued, and that is not at all an issue anymore, espeically with the Studio 6/HE1000 combo. I can listen to music for 4-6 hours without getting fatigued by its sound signature. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back