Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,981 of 3,817
Thanks for your comments.
Great minds think alike, as they say!
I thought my LCD-X's were real keepers until I listened to the HE1000's partnering the Vega and the Violectric V281. Like you say...different ball park.
I am a huge fan of Audeze headphones...but dare I say it....they sound a bit two dimensional and boxed in having now heard the HE1000's.
Tyll from InnerFidelity reckons even the new Audeze flagship, the LCD-4's are nowhere near as good as the HE1000's either.
Just out of interest, seeing as you have the same rig, what pre gain settings, if any ,have you got the V281 set at?  
Whereabouts did you read that opinion from Tyll? I've seen him write about 4 sentences about the LCD 4 and don't believe he even has a loan yet.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #1,983 of 3,817
Whereabouts did you read that opinion from Tyll? I've seen him write about 4 sentences about the LCD 4 and don't believe he even has a loan yet.

Hi..Sorry ..... my bad....just checked and it was the LCD-3f he was referring to. The comment regarding the new 4's....I have read it somewhere in someone's review but I cannot remember where for the life of me!

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #1,984 of 3,817

Just out of interest, seeing as you have the same rig, what pre gain settings, if any ,have you got the V281 set at?  

It sounds best to me without pre gain. At the beginning I had pre gain + 6 db. I did not expect pre gain to change the sound, but it does. Now without pre gain I like it even more. The HE-1000 is not really difficult to drive, so this is (more) than enough.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #1,985 of 3,817

It sounds best to me without pre gain. At the beginning I had pre gain + 6 db. I did not expect pre gain to change the sound, but it does. Now without pre gain I like it even more. The HE-1000 is not really difficult to drive, so this is (more) than enough.

Hi..thanks. Yes I have mine on the +0 setting the amp shipped with and as you say the volume is more than enough.
Just checking I wasn't missing out on anything!

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #1,987 of 3,817

Hi..Sorry ..... my bad....just checked and it was the LCD-3f he was referring to. The comment regarding the new 4's....I have read it somewhere in someone's review but I cannot remember where for the life of me!

I think it's probably best to disregard early comments about the LCD-4. One reason being most of them were first heard at various audio shows, which are obviously not the best conditions. Secondly, there was a bit of disdain going around because they were being released at $4000, especially when people were barely accepting that the HE1000's cost $3000.

That being said, early reviews seem to be mostly positive, with almost everyone agreeing it's Audeze's best headphone, something most couldn't agree on before since it's the 3 for some people and the X for others. I will personally hold of on my opinions until I get a chance to hear them, but it's almost like I don't want to like them because I really just think $4000 is too expensive for a headphone.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #1,988 of 3,817
  I think it's probably best to disregard early comments about the LCD-4. One reason being most of them were first heard at various audio shows, which are obviously not the best conditions. Secondly, there was a bit of disdain going around because they were being released at $4000, especially when people were barely accepting that the HE1000's cost $3000.

That being said, early reviews seem to be mostly positive, with almost everyone agreeing it's Audeze's best headphone, something most couldn't agree on before since it's the 3 for some people and the X for others. I will personally hold of on my opinions until I get a chance to hear them, but it's almost like I don't want to like them because I really just think $4000 is too expensive for a headphone.

Good advice regarding early speculation about the LCD-4's merits.
One thing I do know though is that they will have to be an exceptional design to better the SQ's of the HE1000's!

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,989 of 3,817
I guess the Orpheus is them out of the question...

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,994 of 3,817
How have HIFIMAN not fixed this by now?

Absolutely pathetic.

Perhaps because not that many have that issue? Mine certainly don't. Not as fatal as Audeze seeming to have high incidence of driver failure, from what anecdotal evidence there is in Head-fi. So, it's all perception. :wink:

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #1,995 of 3,817
If you mean metal rubbing on metal squeal, then I think that's normal in this case?
If you mean some kind of driver squeal, then that sucks. I don't have that issue 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back