Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,276 of 3,817
i predict that a he 6 with sorbothane mod will upgrade much.... the he 6 is similar to the he 400... same cup and form... same vibration that plague the sound.... my he 400 transform itself greatly and  i prefer them to my stax basic now...
atsmile.gif
add 12 sorbothane patches on the exterior cups of the he 400.... i decided to not open it it was not necessary... reversible mod, low cost, easy made.... 1/8 inches duro 30 self stick sorb....

i am astounded that people will try more costly and complicated mod that will not improve significantly the soundstage and all frequencies...sometimes not reversible mod....and nobody give a damn with this mod....ALL headphones are plagued by vibration ALL .... no company had ever adressed this simple problem...They are not affected to the same degree but they are all affected...
basshead.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #1,278 of 3,817
Aug 6, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,279 of 3,817
Isosquirrel does.

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #1,280 of 3,817
He seems to make the comparison with the STAX on the Kevin Gilmore amp against the $2999 HE1000 on the $15,900 dual mono amp blocks. I think we can all safely say that no one in this thread has those Woo Audio amps. XD

Of all non-stat headphones, the HE1000s get the closest to stat-like performance (with wonderful body). But that said, I'd still put the SR-009s ahead on a KGSSHV, LL2 over my HE1000s on my GS-X Mk2. But the HE1000s are a game changer IMO for closing that gap in a way I didn't think possible. 
redface.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,282 of 3,817
For those that have a Smyth Realiser, the HE-1000's are even better with this system than even the HE-6.

I find that the speaker localization and imaging effect is even tighter and better defined with the HE-1000.  Sub-Bass is superior with the HE-1000 as well.  I will do more in depth side by side comparisons with the HE-6 vs. HE-1000 now that I have an effective amp.  My EF-6 was not working properly, so I had to borrow one from a friend.  I will hopefully have a HeadAmp GS-X MK2 to use as well. 

Needless to say, so far, the HE-1000 is THE best headphone for HRTF style surround sound headphone listening. 

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,284 of 3,817
I picked up a second pair of HE1000's to see if a different pair would ship with the shorter headband and compare it to the previous production pair I purchased.. As you can see their is a significant difference between the two.  Neither is uncomfortable to me, but the larger headband is my preference overall.  The wider headband is also easier to take on and off since it doesn't stress the headband tight when you pull open the ear cups. I'm going to return the shorter version to my fav on-line retailer. Funny that for my head and ears the best adjustment with the larger band is at the lowest setting and the shorter band at the highest setting. Neither gives me room to "play". This headphone sounds wonderful with my Auralic Taurus MK2.

short

wide

short

wide

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,287 of 3,817
I was part of the beta team and the original headband was a bit big, but when I traded in for a production pair, the headband that it came with was so short that it actually doesn't fit my head.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Also, The left side mechanism that is attacked to the headband came broken.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,288 of 3,817
How I cured my sterile hankering after the He-6 and learnt to love what I have, or can get:

A few weeks ago, I made the following post to complain about how the rave reviews of the He-1000 have killed my interest in the He-560 I had previously planned to get :
Quote:
  I was also set on buying the He-560, which I have not even heard, but I had decided on the strength of the reviews alone... I've been biding my time for almost a year now, waiting for the right moment to pull the trigger... And then the he-1000 happened!  Now reading these rave reviews and impressions of the He-1000 has totally slaughtered my interest in the He-560, to the point where my trigger finger has gone completely comatose on it, even though, and once again, I have heard neither of these two cans personally ...  What I know for sure is that if I were to get the He-560 now, not a day would pass without me thinking about the He-1000, and wondering "what might have been."  And that, simply, is not a great way to enjoy cans one has newly bought, so why even bother...  Hell, I recently had a couple of great chances to buy a Beyerdynamic T1 at incredibly discounted prices, and I passed on both for the same reasons (i.e. they're just not the He-1000).

Now here's the other part of this little sad drama... The he 1000 is way over my head, budget-wise, so out of my league that I would have to spend another year or so saving up before I can get it, even if I decide to buy it used...  So my loss of interest in the He-560 has left me in a sort of limbo...  I am not necessarily without cans -- I have got some so-called "mid-fi" cans: the Hifiman He-500, and a ton of Sennheisers, including the hd700 and the hd600 in my stable, and while they do a fine job when needed, I have worked up so much enthusiasm in past year about getting new summit-fi cans this Summer, that going back to them empty-handed (without something new) feels rather disappointing and anticlimactic.  

In short, reading about the He-1000 has left me in a sour state of mind, although it normally shouldn't ...  I'm just venting for now, I'm sure this moment will pass... In the meantime, I wish I could heed the wisdom in the old saying : "be content with what you've got."  Unfortunately, I just can't... so that is where things stand for now...

Well, it just so happens that I have found 2 killer deals on 2 other Summit-fi headphones I could not pass up: an He-6 and a Beyerdynamic T1, both very very close to new (as in used for 10 hours or less in each case, and still smelling new and fresh out of the box)...  Since then, I have ordered a couple of amps: the Audiogd NFB1 amp, which arrived just yesterday and has laid any anxieties I had about properly driving the He-6 to rest, and a Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which is yet to be shipped.

Yes, it has been an unintended splurge that was started by my hankering after a Summit-fi can for my stable, and the He-6/T1 which unexpectedly came my way, but at the right time.  The best part though is that I have been able to cover the expenses for both cans, and the two excellent headphone amps I have mentioned, and budget wise, I am still at $500 less of what it might have cost me to get the He-1000 alone.  What a lesson about hunting for great value, huh?  Well, coming away from these 4 unplanned purchases still richer by $500 than I would have been had I decided to spring for the He-1000 has done wonders for my sterile hankering after that unit, not to mention my emotional balance.

Well, I still remain curious about the He-1000, and hope I might get the opportunity to audition one in the near future, if I am lucky enough to run across an owner, or attend a meet, but all of that can wait.  For now, I am quite thrilled to say that since my my He6 and T1 arrived, and ever since I heard the excellent synergy between the He-6 and the NFB1 amp, the sadness and the attack of "audiophilia nervosa" that inspired the passage I have quoted above, are both a distant memory.  

In case you're wondering, none of this is meant as a knock against the He-1000 per se, which still seems to represent, from everything I have heard, an excellent piece of craftsmanship, probably unrivaled in the world of planars.  I could be saying something about its value, though, but I really wouldn't know, since I have still neither seen one, nor heard one for myself.

I am just glad to have my recent frustration now "cured." Okay, with all that said, let me run off before I begin to sound like someone at a group therapy meeting
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,289 of 3,817
I was part of the beta team and the original headband was a bit big, but when I traded in for a production pair, the headband that it came with was so short that it actually doesn't fit my head.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Also, The left side mechanism that is attacked to the headband came broken.

Yes, I commented on this when I received my production pair. The betas head pad was just a little too big, and the the head pad on the production versions is way to small. The pics blownaway posted really sums it up. Hifiman didn't just shorten the head pad, they pretty much took a hatchet to it. There's really no middle ground. I think what they did with the 560s were pretty much perfect, I wish they would have did the same with the hek head pad.

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #1,290 of 3,817

Yes, I commented on this when I received my production pair. The betas head pad was just a little too big, and the the head pad on the production versions is way to small. The pics blownaway posted really sums it up. Hifiman didn't just shorten the head pad, they pretty much took a hatchet to it. There's really no middle ground. I think what they did with the 560s were pretty much perfect, I wish they would have did the same with the hek head pad.

When I called HiFi man USA a few weeks ago and it was mentioned to me that the initial production run was with the larger band, then they decided to shorten.  Some early production models like mine, came with the longer band, so I'm told.   After listening to both this evening, the longer band is more comfy to me with less clamping force. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back