Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #422 of 3,817
  Review of Beta HiFiMAN HE1000:
Comparison to Sennheiser HD 800 & Grado PS1000 and the Comparison of 5 Amps

Here is my final review of the HiFiMAN HE1000 (beta version).  This review compares both early and burned-in performance on 10 acoustic features to the Sennheiser HD 800 and the Grado PS1000.  It also compares, again on 10 acoustic features, HE1000 performance with an assortment of 5 amplifiers (CEntrance HiFi M8, Joseph Grado Signature Products HPA1, Sennheiser HDVD 800, HiFiMAN EF5, and HiFiMAN EF6).

Does it make me a Kayandjohn fanboy if I get a little excited every time I see he's done a new review?

Excellent work as always, sir!

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #423 of 3,817

Review of Beta HiFiMAN HE1000:
Comparison to Sennheiser HD 800

Does it make me a Kayandjohn fanboy if I get a little excited every time I see he's done a new review?

Excellent work as always, sir!

YEA :D

It is fine work, though...detail I'd never be able to follow through in a million years!

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #424 of 3,817
  @TeamHiFiMAN, did you announce what changes were made to production units from beta? I remember the plan to fit more heads but what else did the beta do?

I'm also curious. Interested in buying these as I loved them at Stereo Exchange earlier this year, but if sound improvements are likely to be held off for future iterations over the next year or two, I might hold off too.

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #425 of 3,817

I'm also curious. Interested in buying these as I loved them at Stereo Exchange earlier this year, but if sound improvements are likely to be held off for future iterations over the next year or two, I might hold off too.

I understand if you want to put it off for other reasons, e.g. financial, but if you have the money, why wait to see if they will upgrade it?  You miss out on a year or two with a phenomenal pair of headphones.  I would imagine if there were substantial changes, as was done by Audeze with the Fazors, HiFiMAN would offer an upgrade path if you are really concerned.

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #426 of 3,817
  I understand if you want to put it off for other reasons, e.g. financial, but if you have the money, why wait to see if they will upgrade it?  You miss out on a year or two with a phenomenal pair of headphones.  I would imagine if there were substantial changes, as was done by Audeze with the Fazors, HiFiMAN would offer an upgrade path if you are really concerned.

Very good point. Yes, there is the financial consideration (I wouldn't jump on them right away in case cost comes down even slightly over a few months or I can pick up a used pair), but I don't like having to deal with upgrades, or worse, being stuck with an early model that I'll always have a twinge of regret over when I look at them. Due to a hearing issue, I can only listen for short periods of time at low volume without getting ear pain, so I'm hoping they'd address low-volume impact along that improvement path. Maybe a futile hope. Then again, these are very good, and I might not be able to restrain myself. So, word on how an upgrade situation would be handled, if necessary, and improvements made and/or being considered would be much appreciated. 

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #428 of 3,817
On the other hand, there is always a chance that a Beta tester will sell at a decent price (don't expect a flood of these as many will either keep them or return them).

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #430 of 3,817
You'd guess there would be something like "open box" or "slightly used", or "used, mint" samples for sale at a decent price.
I actually don't get what all the uproar is...it's a new TOTL headphone, it's being offered for sale, but it's not like anyone HAS to buy it. I understand the commotion on items like the LH Labs stuff, where people have paid for stuff they aren't sure when they'll get, or even in some cases exactly WHAT they'll get (but, again, to be fair, it is a crowdfunded project, you saves your money, you takes your chances, the reaction is overdone even there). There IS no perfect headphone, TOTL or not, like there is no perfect speaker. They all reflect some decisions, and have some sort of tuning or emphasis in some area or other. It always comes down to whether the tuning, the deviations from "The Absolute Sound" (hey, I like that, think I'll start a magazine with that name :D ) work with your sound preferences. Hifiman has made an incredible revealing, open sounding headphone...if you like more impact than some are describing, DON'T BUY IT! Not so complicated. As I mentioned, I'm not 100% sold myself, will have to listen more, which brings up the next point...you get an idea of people's OPINIONS reading reviews and impressions, but if you are at all able to at some point, at a meet, at a dealer, LISTEN FOR YOURSELF! And, if you can't and want to jump in anyway, well, there if a forum for reselling the gear you want to get rid of.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #431 of 3,817
Impressions after 3 weeks of use, and over 200 hours burn in, I will try to make it brief and to the point, plus, I have been having a lot of time constraints as well. [Been extremely busy lately, and it's not getting any better, lol] .
After several days of burn-in there was a VERY SLIGHT improvement, but not much at all to be totally honest..they opened up just a tiny bit more, and the treble smoothed just a touch.
Different amplifiers made the biggest differences...
Remember these are based on MY personal opinions, and MY own personal tastes, only, and I'm going to tell it like it is, and not sugar coat anything... YMMV!

Amps used: Gustard H10, Beta 22, borrowed Schiit Ragnarok.

Sources: Marantz CD6004 CD player, Oppo BDP-95 universal disc player

Cables: Stock on all headphones, except used a balanced stock cable on HD650 with Rag.
Signal Cable Silver Resolution Interconnects used exclusively.

Other headphones used for comparison : Hifiman HE-6 [modded], Hifiman HE-500 [modded], Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD 800 [borrowed], and Hifiman HE-560 [see below].

Music: All genres...too many to name. CD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio discs.

BASS:
Strengths: Wonderful extension. These can really plumb the depths on good recordings with real low bass...I'm talking real SUB BASS. with a capital S... Fast, textured, detailed bass. I really have no major issues with the bass at all. I find it very impressive on most every genre. Does not bleed into the mids at all to my ears!
Weaknesses: Very slight lack of impact. Seems to be more of an issue in the mid/upper bass than in the sub bass. Overall minor to my ears.

MIDRANGE:
Strengths: Very detailed, transparent, fast, clean, open. For the most part, instruments, and voices sound natural, organic, and have good body. Midrange response seems to be pretty even for the most part. Female vocals are usually exceptional, for the most part.
Weaknesses: Very slightly withdrawn at certain frequencies, male vocals seem very slightly recessed somewhere in the frequency spectrum. Again, as above, slight lack of impact, and slightly rounded edges. Volume has to be raised above normal levels to achieve best detail and openness.The sound is very variable, which is good, I guess. Such as sometimes the sound is a little too forward in the mids, and sometimes a little too laid back.

TREBLE:
Strengths: Detailed, fairly transparent, open, clear, and seems to have good extension. For the most part, the treble is excellent, and fairly even.
Weaknesses: Slight peak around 7khz, which I do find noticeable, and does cause a slight splashiness, I suppose. Can sometimes get slightly edgy or thin on some recordings. Again, slight lack of openness, impact, slightly rounded edges until volume is cranked.

SOUNDSTAGING/IMAGING:
Strengths: Excellent height, good width, and good depth, Spacious sounding overall. Imaging and placement is really good.
Weaknesses: Slightly vague imaging and placement on certain material, even good material. Not pinpoint like some dynamic units.

DETAIL/RESOLUTION:
Strengths: Very good detail and overall resolution, especially with a good powerful amp. Among the very best if driven with a good amp.
VERY revealing of upstream changes such as amps, interconnects, sources, etc...very much so!
Weaknesses: Some slight lack of micro-detail. Improves greatly with more volume. As others have also found, slightly soft around the edges, and some what laid-back, even when they shouldn't be.

EXCELS WITH:
Most all genres. Sounds REALLY excellent with pop, r&b, rap, most rock, most jazz. Slightly less impressive with acoustic and classical, but still great.
Sounds especially good with good main stream music, such as Dire Straits Alchemy Live, Diana Krall, good R&B, Eagles: Hell Freezes Over, Eric Clapton, Herbie Hancock, Nora Jones, Daft Punk, Lorde, Tears For Fears, and MANY others!
Better overall sound with high resolution formats such as good SACD, DVD-Audio, or Blu-ray Audio discs compared to CD.

OVERALL TONAL BALANCE;
A slight touch on the warm side, and maybe very slightly recessed midrange in certain areas. Slight dip at 2k is slightly noticeable. Very slight U shaped response? A touch too polite and forgiving, even when it really shouldn't be, especially at lower levels?
Overall, very balanced, especially when compared with other top headphones.
As stated many times, it really is truly " A Jack of all Trades, Master of None".

COST TO PERFORMANCE RATIO: A solid C +/B - rating, to my ears, in its current form.

AMPS WITH HE 1000 [How the HEK sounds when paired with the amp]:
Gustard H10: (gain set to +6) Somewhat laid back, smooth. Very slightly warm. Very wide and deep soundstage. Good dynamics, good bass. Detailed and clear, but not the last word in transparency. Sometimes emphasizes the splashiness in the treble for some reason.

Beta 22: (gain +11)Powerful and dynamic, excellent bass, somewhat forward in the mids, very transparent, detailed, open, wide and high soundstage, depth not as good as Gustard or Rag.

Ragnarok: (balanced mode only, gain set at + 5) Very powerful, clean, clear, outstanding dynamics, outstanding bass extension, Smooth, transparent, very detailed without harshness, very neutral. Excellent soundstage width, height, and depth. My favorite amp with these.

HEADPHONE COMPARISONS WITH HE1000:
Sennheiser HD 650: Sounds somewhat grainy, forward in the mids, less refined, more closed in, slightly muffled, and laid-back in the highs by comparison. Sub bass is definitely lacking compared to the HEK. HD 650 sounds somewhat more organic, more efficient, and has a touch more impact, especially in the mid/ upper bass. Don't get me wrong, the HD650 is still an excellent headphone, but is overall in quite a bit lower class than HEK.

Hifiman HE-500 [modded]: Sounds somewhat muffled, closed in, and looser in the bass. Sub bass extension is also less. Slightly more metallic and grainy in the highs compared to HEK. Seems to have a dip somewhere around 6k or so, compared to HEK. HE-500 is more efficient, has somewhat more impact, warmer mids, and maybe a better balanced overall midrange. Not quite sure. Definitely not in the same class as HEK.

Hifiman HE-6 [modded] : Has somewhat more engaging bass, mids, and highs than HEK. As others have stated, slightly more visceral impact, energy, midrange body, midrange tone, and overall coherence than HEK from top to bottom. HEK has a bigger soundstage in all dimensions though, better layering, and somewhat more precise imaging, and better sub bass extension. The highs on the HEK are somewhat smoother than HE-6, except around 7k, where they can actually sound somewhat brighter than HE-6 in that one certain area! The HEK is very detailed and open in the highs, but not quite as ultra detailed, or as open as HE-6.The modded HE-6 are treble masters, when it comes to extension and detail, imho. The HEK is definitely more efficient and easier to drive than HE-6. On some days I prefer the HEK, other days I prefer the HE-6. A toss-up really to my own ears. Note: The HEK definitely sounds better than a bone stock HE-6 in most all areas though.

Sennheiser HD 800: On most genres, I simply prefer the HEK. It is less picky, less harsh, less analytical, and has better overall balance from top to bottom to my ears. HEK has better sub bass extension, more forward upper mids, and similar treble extension...But, on good classical, some acoustic, and on some well recorded jazz, the HD 800 does seem to reveal a tad more overall transparency, micro detail, more openness, wider staging, more effortless transients, but it is overall a very small difference if the volume is increased on the HEK. The HD800 is definitely more efficient. I still would choose the HEK over the HD800 without much hesitation, and the HE-6 over the HD800 as well. If you listen to a lot of classical or acoustic, I can honestly see a person choosing the HD800. It sounded really good with the Rag amp.

Hifiman HE-560: I no longer own these, but from memory, and from notes I took when I owned them, the HE-560 is quite a step down from HEK. The HE-560 is less detailed, open, transparent, and even less dynamic than the HE 1000. The HE-560 also has less bass and upper treble extension, less bass power, more closed in staging, less precise imaging, and a peakier lower treble. I actually think the HEK is more neutral and  more involving compared to HE-560.

CONCLUSION:
If I had to choose one headphone to own and sell the rest, I would probably choose the HE1000, with the HE-6 coming in a VERY CLOSE second.
PLEASE NOTE: If I would have never heard a modded HE-6, or the strengths that a HD800 has on certain recordings, I'm sure my opinion on the HEK would be even higher.
It is an excellent all arounder with excellent bass, mids, treble, staging, imaging, detail, and clarity.
The only real areas of improvement that I can see for me personally would be a slight reduction of the 7khz glitch, slightly more low level detail, micro detail, and just a little more impact and energy from top to bottom, especially at lower volume levels.
Would like to see some thicker, all velour, more angled pads. I think this might help quite a bit. Hopefully, Hifiman will give us this option soon.
Overall the HE1000 is an exceptional product with a few very minor weaknesses, but nothing made by man is going to be perfect, no matter what the cost.
Still debating on whether to keep them or send them back, though, mainly due to the cost/ performance ratio...

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #432 of 3,817
Basically the best write up you could ask for, well done!

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #433 of 3,817

Impressions after 3 weeks of use, and over 200 hours burn in, I will try not to make it brief and to the point, plus, I having a lot of time constraints as well. [Been extremely busy lately, and it's not getting any better, lol] .
Remember these are based on MY personal opinions, and MY own personal tastes, only. YMMV!

Amps: Gustard H10, Beta 22, borrowed Schiit Ragnarok.
Sources: Marantz CD6004 CD player, Oppo BDP-95 universal disc player
Other headphones used: Hifiman HE-6 [modded], Hifiman HE-500 [modded], Sennheiser HD 650, Sennheiser HD 800 [borrowed], and Hifiman HE-560 [see below].
Music: All genres...too many to name. CD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio discs.

BASS:
Strengths: Wonderful extension. These really plumb the depths. Fast, textured, detailed bass. I really have no major issues with the bass at all. I find it very impressive on most every genre. Does not bleed into the mids at all to my ears!
Weaknesses: Very slight lack of impact. Seems to be more of an issue in the mid/upper bass than in the sub bass. Overall minor to my ears.

MIDRANGE:
Strengths: Very detailed, transparent, fast, clean, open. For the most part, instruments, and voices sound natural, organic, and have good body. Midrange response seems to be pretty even for the most part. Female vocals are usually exceptional, for the most part.
Weaknesses: Very slightly withdrawn at certain frequencies, male vocals seem very slightly recessed somewhere in the frequency spectrum. Again, as above, slight lack of impact, and slightly rounded edges. Volume has to be raised above normal levels to achieve best detail and openness.The sound is very variable, which is good, I guess. Such as sometimes the sound is a little too forward in the mids, and sometimes a little too laid back.

TREBLE:
Strengths: Detailed, fairly transparent, open, clear, and seems to have good extension. For the most part, the treble is excellent, and fairly even.
Weaknesses: Slight peak around 7khz, which I do find noticeable, and does cause a slight splashiness, I suppose. Can sometimes get slightly edgy or thin on some recordings. Again, slight lack of openness, impact, slightly rounded edges until volume is cranked.

SOUNDSTAGING/IMAGING:
Strengths: Excellent height, good width, and good depth, Spacious sounding overall. Imaging and placement is really good.
Weaknesses: Slightly vague imaging and placement on certain material, even good material. Not pinpoint like some dynamic units.

DETAIL/RESOLUTION:
Strengths: Very good detail and overall resolution, especially with a good powerful amp. Among the very best if driven with a good amp.
Weaknesses: Some slight lack of micro-detail. Improves greatly with more volume. As others have also found, slightly soft around the edges, and some what laid-back, even when they shouldn't be.

EXCELS WITH:
Most all genres. Sounds REALLY excellent with pop, r&b, rap, most rock, most jazz. Slightly less impressive with acoustic and classical, but still great.
Sounds especially good with good main stream music, such as Dire Straits Alchemy Live, Diana Krall, good R&B, Eagles: Hell Freezes Over, Eric Clapton, Herbie Hancock, Nora Jones, Tears For Fears, and MANY others!
Better overall sound with high resolution formats such as good SACD, DVD-Audio, or Blu-ray Audio discs compared to CD.

OVERALL TONAL BALANCE;
A slight touch on the warm side, and maybe very slightly recessed midrange in certain areas. Very slight U shaped response?
Overall, very balanced, especially when compared with other top headphones.
As stated many times, very much " A Jack of all Trades, Master of None".

AMPS WITH HE 1000 [How the HEK sounds when paired with the amp]:
Gustard H10: Somewhat laid back, smooth. Slightly warm. Very wide and deep soundstage. Good dynamics, good bass. Detailed and clear, but not the last word in transparency. Sometimes emphasizes the splashiness in the treble for some reason.
Beta 22: Powerful and dynamic, excellent bass, somewhat forward in the mids, very transparent, detailed, open, wide and high soundstage, depth not as good as Gustard or Rag.
Ragnarok: Very powerful, clean, clear, outstanding dynamics, outstanding bass extension, Smooth, transparent, very detailed without harshness, very neutral. Excellent soundstage width, height, and depth. My favorite amp with these.

HEADPHONE COMPARISONS WITH HE1000:
Sennheiser HD 650: Sounds somewhat grainy, forward in the mids, more closed in, muffled, and laid-back in the highs by comparison. Sub bass is definitely lacking compared to the HEK. HD 650 sounds somewhat more organic, more efficient, and has a touch more impact, especially in the mid/ upper bass, but is overall in a quite a lower class than HEK.
Hifiman HE-500 [modded]: Sounds somewhat muffled, closed in, and looser in the bass. Sub bass extension is also less. Slightly more metallic in the highs compared to HEK. HE-500 does have somewhat more impact, warmer mids, and maybe a better balanced overall midrange. Not quite sure. Definitely not in the same class as HEK.
Hifiman HE-6 [modded] : Has somewhat more engaging bass, mids, and highs than HEK. As others have stated, slightly more visceral impact and overall coherence than HEK from top to bottom. HEK has a bigger soundstage in all dimensions though, somewhat more precise imaging, and better sub bass extension. The highs on the HEK are somewhat smoother than HE-6, except around 7k, where they can actually sound brighter, the HEK is very detailed and open in the highs, but not quite as ultra detailed or as open as HE-6. Some days I prefer the HEK, other days I prefer the HE-6. A toss-up really to my own ears.
Sennheiser HD 800: On most genres, I simply prefer the HEK. It is less picky, less harsh, less analytical, and has better overall balance from top to bottom to my ears. HEK has better sub bass extension, more forward upper mids, and similar treble extension...But, on good classical, some acoustic, and on some well recorded jazz, the HD 800 does seem to reveal a tad more overall transparency, micro detail, more openness, wider staging, more effortless transients, etc., but its a very small difference if the volume is increased on the HEK. I still would choose the HEK over the HD800 without much hesitation, and the HE-6 over the HD800 as well.
Hifiman HE-560: I no longer own these, but from memory, and from notes I took when I owned them, the HE-560 is quite a step down from HEK. The HE-560 is less detailed, open, transparent, and even less dynamic than the HE 1000. The HE-560 also has less bass and upper treble extension, less bass power, more closed in staging, less precise imaging, and a peakier lower treble. I actually think the HEK is more neutral and  more involving compared to HE-560.

CONCLUSION:
If I had to choose one headphone to own and sell the rest, I would probably choose the HE1000, with the HE-6 coming in a VERY CLOSE second.
It is an excellent all arounder with excellent bass, mids, treble, staging, imaging, detail, and clarity.
The only real areas of improvement that I can see for me personally would be a slight reduction of the 7khz glitch, slightly more low level detail, micro detail, and a little more impact and energy from top to bottom, especially at lower volume levels.
Would like to see some thicker, all velour, more angled pads. I think this might help quite a bit. Hopefully, Hifiman will give us this option soon.
Overall the HE1000 is an exceptional product with a few very minor weaknesses, but nothing made by man is going to be perfect, no matter what the cost.
Still debating on whether to keep them or send them back.

Excellent - your write-up accords nearly perfectly with my views. The HE1000 sounds very different to my other cans, being the first ortho that manages to be as open and wide sounding as the HD800. That being said, the fact you are debating whether to keep them or send them back is telling. For those who already have TOTL headphones like the HE6, HD800 and SR009, the problem is that the HE1000 does not do the best recordings full justice like the SR009, HD800 and probably the HE6 do. I can easily see one preferring the HE1000 to the HD800 for most average sounding recordings, but it will be a more difficult call for those who already own the HE6 and SR009.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #434 of 3,817
Thanks Guys!
I really appreciate the kind remarks!
I worked really hard on this.
(Made a few minor edits to the above review).

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #435 of 3,817
Excellent - your write-up accords nearly perfectly with my views. The HE1000 sounds very different to my other cans, being the first ortho that manages to be as open and wide sounding as the HD800. That being said, the fact you are debating whether to keep them or send them back is telling. For those who already have TOTL headphones like the HE6, HD800 and SR009, the problem is that the HE1000 does not do the best recordings full justice like the SR009, HD800 and probably the HE6 do. I can easily see one preferring the HE1000 to the HD800 for most average sounding recordings, but it will be a more difficult call for those who already own the HE6 and SR009.

Yes, your impressions and mine do seem similar!
Glad you noticed the same overall strengths and weaknesses that I did :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back