Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #1,501 of 3,817
Nice review Jerg

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,502 of 3,817
Good stuff Jerg. I disagree somewhat on the build quality and comfort (I find the HE560 better on both scores), but I think you've described the sound signature really well. I'd be tempted to try the mods, particularly the pad mod as that sounds a little less invasive.

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,503 of 3,817
1+, agree on the sound, would be interested in the mods, disagree on the comfort (individual, of course, some, like me, feel a pressure/discomfort at the apex of the head), also don't find them all that attractive, especially with the extra wraps to make them more comfortable. They are well made, imo, but look incredibly geeky (Senn makes good looking stuff). I also find the 560 more comfortable, very comfortable.
Going out in them on dog walk...balanced Pono and shuffle play, Heaven! I'll live with the looks...

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,504 of 3,817

Boy.... The He1000 made the LCD-X sounded low-fi-ish. Source/amp Marantz HD-DAC1. The very low frequency subbass in the opening of Hotel California live heard in the HE1000 were missing in the LCD-X. Clarity, soundstage size, imaging, smoothness, refinement, separation, speed, and transparency, HE1000 wins handily. It simply sounded much more grand. With X, the venue of the play is like non-existent, the vocal is in the head. The only thing that LCD-X can match is similar tonal accuracy and more impact. I found that if the volume of the HE1000 is turned up to match to about 70% of the vocal level of the LCD X, the he1000 is no less exciting.

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,506 of 3,817
Anyone tried the Audio-Gd Master 9 with the HE1000? From the review of Master 9 on headmania, I got the impression that it's a fast, transparent and dynamic amp. Could be a good match for the HE1000.

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #1,507 of 3,817
Been enjoying my Balanced Pono/Norne Zoetic/HEK, even welling to be seen in the street that way on dog walks. Great sound imo. I'll bring them to the NY area meet.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #1,508 of 3,817

I do own the MHA100 and agree with you. It does a great job with the HE-1000. I have been using them on the high gain setting but this weekend I will modify one of my aftermarket cables to connect the HE-1000 to the speaker tabs. From the speaker tabs the MHA1000 is going to give about 10 watts/ch to the HE-1000 so I expect them to scale even further up.

did you ever do this?  what did you think of it?  

Having just tried this I'm curious to find if others has a similar experience as me. At risk of coloring your opinion... I found the power driving the HE1K to be undeniable.  Where I'd have to have the volume on 63 in the 40-150 ohm range, I only needed to have volume at about 47 for the same level from the speaker taps.  More of -everything- was apparent.  But the 3D / holographic presentation of the HE1K to me was also 'flattened';  Everything was still all around me, but with little less full left or right, and more material was at a similar distance from me.  It reminded me more of how the Ether presents the music, in a more 'monitor' like way.  Whereas from the headphone tap thru the autoformer there was more depth, height, et al, to the positioning.  

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #1,509 of 3,817

did you ever do this?  what did you think of it?  

Having just tried this I'm curious to find if others has a similar experience as me. At risk of coloring your opinion... I found the power driving the HE1K to be undeniable.  Where I'd have to have the volume on 63 in the 40-150 ohm range, I only needed to have volume at about 47 for the same level from the speaker taps.  More of -everything- was apparent.  But the 3D / holographic presentation of the HE1K to me was also 'flattened';  Everything was still all around me, but with little less full left or right, and more material was at a similar distance from me.  It reminded me more of how the Ether presents the music, in a more 'monitor' like way.  Whereas from the headphone tap thru the autoformer there was more depth, height, et al, to the positioning.  

I normally drive them on the High Gain and 150-600 impedance setting since that's the one that provides the strangest output (recommendation form McIntosh for the HE-6). That setting compared to the speaker tabs has almost the same power output and I have not noticed much of a difference in sound. I will need to try the 40-150 setting to compare and report back.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,511 of 3,817
New HE1000 looking headphone from Hifiman coming! Apparently called Edition X?! Excited for canjam now

If true I will sell my regular edition and wash my hands of the brand completely.Coming up with a new variation of this can so soon is a smack in the face to those who bought a regular version. Just my opinion.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,513 of 3,817
New HE1000 looking headphone from Hifiman coming! Apparently called Edition X?! Excited for canjam now

Any place we can read about this? I tried to google but couldn't find anything.

All i saw was a post from steve guttenburg on facebook. And hifiman has a post that says "see whatS neXt". Im guessing X is edition X and S is something else? (or the HE400S)

The X is supposedly similar in design to the HE1000 but supposedly smaller and easier to drive. No info on the sound, so who knows what hifiman is going for with this one.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,514 of 3,817
All i saw was a post from steve guttenburg on facebook. And hifiman has a post that says "see whatS neXt". Im guessing X is edition X and S is something else? (or the HE400S)

The X is supposedly similar in design to the HE1000 but supposedly smaller and easier to drive. No info on the sound, so who knows what hifiman is going for with this one.

Thanks!
I see a picture of Steve on Twitter wearing something that looks remarkable similar to the HE1000 
frown.gif

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #1,515 of 3,817
From Steve G..

"Part 2 It's smaller, and designed to work with portable players. It's the latest Hifiman, the Edition X. It'll be shown in Denver at RMAF!"

"Part 1 Had dinner last night with Hifiman's Fang Bian, and while that looks like his HE1000 on my noggin, it's not."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back