Official Head-Fi Houston Summer Kick-Off Meet: Saturday - May 20th, 2017 @ Jungman Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #49 of 98
I'm new to the forum, I have a pair of HD 700's I could bring, if anyone wanted to listen to them

PM sent a day after you posted.

Right now I am leaning strongly towards keeping the May date and cancelling the April 29th date. Any objections, please post. Otherwise, there is no reason as to why I should pick the less popular date, especially as Dan did not say anything about being at our meet in person. :rolleyes:

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #56 of 98
The May 20th date should work for me.  I'm not sure what I'm going to have on hand at the time because I'm in the midst of going from dynamic to electrostat again, but I should have a stat rig to bring.  KGSSHV Carbon with a SR-009 MK2.9, DAC undetermined but something (probably a vintage R2R PCM58 based if I don't buy anything new inbetween).  Might bring a Headamp GS-1 with Dynalo+ modules if someone is interested in hearing it.

Edit: Just read the entire thread again.  I can't make the April date, but should be fine for May.  But don't make any decisions based on my input.  My work is such that I'm basically always a maybe.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #57 of 98
The May 20th date should work for me.  I'm not sure what I'm going to have on hand at the time because I'm in the midst of going from dynamic to electrostat again, but I should have a stat rig to bring.  KGSSHV Carbon with a SR-009 MK2.9, DAC undetermined but something (probably a vintage R2R PCM58 based if I don't buy anything new inbetween).  Might bring a Headamp GS-1 with Dynalo+ modules if someone is interested in hearing it.

Edit: Just read the entire thread again.  I can't make the April date, but should be fine for May.  But don't make any decisions based on my input.  My work is such that I'm basically always a maybe.

PM sent.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #58 of 98
Okay, so I need some info from a couple of you guys, so please PM me back with that info.

As for those who are not at least Head-Fiers yet, either bring table-top equipment (at least your favorite headphones and a source, like laptop, tablet, phone, or DAC) or post away until you receive "Head-Fier" status. This is not Head-Fi.org rules, but the meet venue's rules, and I cannot jeopardize the meet's planning and such over this policy they have in place on all of their properties. So yeah, you have time, so don't give up and you can PM me at any time.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #60 of 98
I am looking forward to the meet up and will be bringing the newest versions of my Black Swan phone preamp and the recent generation of the Black Amp.  Possibly will have a version of the BlackDAC to show too.

Let me introduce my self, as time permits I am an old designer of Hi-Fi products whose business commitments have eaten up most of my time but am now getting back to Audio.  A couple of years ago a friend (the designer of the Iconoclast Cables) encouraged me to build him a phono preamp that outperformed his Pass X25 ($13,000) at a lower cost, I accepted the challenge and created a unit that did exactly that.  I sent him the unit in a black die cast box for noise elimination and it knocked him over but it was the ugliest thing he had ever see so he called it the Black Swan.  I liked the name, cleaned up the package, and built a few for listener evaluation.  You can see it at my web site www.austinaudioworks.com and I would like you to listen to it at the meet-up.

Another friend who I worked with years ago is now in the Audeze management and asked me to look into a better sounding headphone amplifier.  I wrestled with the is sure for a couple of years and came up with the Black Amp, also in a black die cast box.  Several friends here in Austin loosened to it, commented, and pressed me to sell them the prototypes because it is so good, tube sonics with transistor speed,  quite unique.  They will use it for demos.

The circuits I developed are no-feedback current-mode Class-A gain cells, so I applied them to the current-to-voltage converters for DACs and Bingo, another hit.

I will post pictures as I get new chassis in for them.

I would like you guys to listen and comment, this is how I learn to improve.  I have a saying that goes:
"Every mother's child it beautiful' which means that anything you design or build is good to you because of emotional attachment so I trust you evaluation more than my own.

More later with pictures but for now I look forward to meeting you all in Houston and hearing our thoughts, will bring direct to disc records and turntable.  Please write me with questions, am preparing YouTube explanations, you can see my answers to record questions on Youtube under my name

Thanks, Barry Thornton 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back