Official Group Buy - Revised Millett-Hybrid PCB
Jun 21, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #272 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unclewai
Few questions I have:

About the placement of the BUF634, they should be placed so the BB logos
are facing toward each other right?

It's a bad idea to count on the labels. Instead use the graphical cues on the board, namely the small half circle cut out that is located at one end of the buffer. You can see it in rreynol's picture.

Quote:

can I use the R/L-Pot_out to connect to the headphone or do I have to use left_out right_out? They seem so far apart?

No, do NOT use the "R/L-Pot_out" pads. You want to either use the group of 3 pads at the end opposite the volume labeled "RT_OUT" and so on, or the individual pads located throughout the board. I'd just use the 3 at the end if it were me.
Quote:

If I use it as a pre-amp, is it dangerous if I make an additional rca out for my subwoofer?

I'd really like for Drew to answer this one as I don't feel comfortable, sorry.

HTH,

Nate

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #273 of 302
Quote:

About the placement of the BUF634, they should be placed so the BB logos
are facing toward each other right?

The buffers are oriented 180 degrees from each other - line up the notch on the outline with the notch on each buffer. If you end up with the letters facing the same direction (that is, one is not upside down in relation to the other), they're not installed correctly.

Quote:

can I use the R/L-Pot_out to connect to the headphone or do I have to use left_out right_out? They seem so far apart?

You need to use left_out right_out or you can use the outputs at the back of the board that are grouped closely together.

If I use it as a pre-amp, is it dangerous if I make an additional rca out for my subwoofer?[/QUOTE]

No, the input impedance of your power amp and subwoofer amp are high enough that it won't cause any problems.

-Drew

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #275 of 302
Quote:

And for the power supply. I wire V_in as + and s2 as - right?

No. Assuming that you're using a single voltage power supply you'll wire the positive lead from the PS to V_in and the negative lead to "GND". S1 and S2 allow you to board wire your power switch.

Hope that clears it up, if not, I'll post a picture of one wired up.

Nate

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #277 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
Thanks Guys!!! I got the boards today. I'll post a few pics as soon as I'm done with my wood(maple & walnut)/aluminum/carbon fiber/chassis.

So you are not the only one handy with both a soldering gun and a table saw.
k1000smile.gif

I too am working on a design for a wood enclosure. I assume that you first put the completed pcb inside a metal enclosure and then wrap that in wood? Would there be an issue with building a wood enclosure out of solid hard maple and lining the inside with copper tape or TI Shield (percyaudio.com)? What about the tubes and the wood? What size hole is needed so that tubes do not start burning the enclosure?

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #278 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
What about the tubes and the wood? What size hole is needed so that tubes do not start burning the enclosure?

The tubes should not get hot enough to burn anything. You can touch them with your fingers even after a straight hour of use. They get hot, but not that hot. The tubes are roughly 5/8 to 3/4" in diameter so I tend you use a 1" hole.

HTH,

Nate

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #279 of 302
the dimensions are in the tube datasheet . i was gonna stick mine in to an old single bottle champagne case that ihave lieing around (85 clos de mensil), not going to bother with metal shielding. im sure there would be a lot of merit in lining any wooden enclosure with some copper foil or the like.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #281 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler
All European orders have been shipped out to you, if you could let me know when they arrive, that would be great

g

OUTSTANDING! Thanks again for voluteering to help.

Nate

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #282 of 302
1. Ordered item # 505-M100.1/160/5 from Mouser and received Wima Polypropylene Film Capacitors 160V .1uF 5%. However, I noticed that the description calls for 0.22uF film caps to be placed in these areas.
confused.gif
Before I go any further, I just want to double check and see that I have the correct caps for these areas.

2. This is a newbie question...are these film caps directional? I see on the pcb there is an "=" that runs perpendicular to the area where the caps are placed. Does that sign indicate direction and how is that determined on the cap? Or do I just slam them in any old way and they will work?
eggosmile.gif

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #283 of 302
Quote:

1. Ordered item # 505-M100.1/160/5...

You're fine, the exact value is not critical. Drew is currently updating the parts area of the site to reflect this.
Quote:

2. This is a newbie question...are these film caps directional?Thanks ahead of time!!!

Non-polar, so you basically slam them in, but pay attention to the fact that one of the legs always needs to go in the ground hole. This is a bit unclear but just look at rreynol's picture to see how to offset the cap to one side or the other.

HTH,

Nate

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #284 of 302
Quote:

1. Ordered item # 505-M100.1/160/5 from Mouser and received Wima Polypropylene Film Capacitors 160V .1uF 5%. However, I noticed that the description calls for 0.22uF film caps to be placed in these areas.
confused.gif
Before I go any further, I just want to double check and see that I have the correct caps for these areas.

You are A-OK. The value of the cap is not critical - .1uF will work just as well as .22uF in this application.

Quote:

2. This is a newbie question...are these film caps directional? I see on the pcb there is an "=" that runs perpendicular to the area where the caps are placed. Does that sign indicate direction and how is that determined on the cap? Or do I just slam them in any old way and they will work?

Film caps are not directional, so put 'em in any way you like. One thing to be careful about on this board is that you're actually putting them in the right holes. I laid out each film cap position so that the capacitor schematic symbol is between the positive and negative pins - that is, there is a single positive pin and a plethora of negative pins, if that makes any sense at all...

-Drew

[EDIT: Must stop reading Nate's mind...]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back