Official Grado Ps-1 VS Gs-1000 thread
Jun 15, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 50
edit

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #17 of 50
Ok, I'll take one for the team... someone send me their GS1k's and I'll be happy to listen to both for about a month and do a write up on them
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #19 of 50
I had GS1000 and PS-1 in loan for a week. To me PS-1 is a clear winner.

Jul 3, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
interesting

Isn't it.
biggrin.gif

Well GS1000 just wasn't for me. Most negative thing was the sibilance which I experienced with them. But even without the sibilance I wouldn't go for them.

PS1 is just great. Amazing bass
basshead.gif
combined with transparent and airy sound. Maybe the best Grado I've heard.

Jul 10, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #23 of 50
I am doing serious listening on both of those, but it will take some time to make any conclusive judgements on these.

I find the PS-1 to sound very even and deliciously detailed. The bass is very good. They do not make any particular frequency range more prominent to others. Also I find the mids very liquid and lifelike. They actually sound like refined RS-1, but just not that thick. They have very well organized headstage. Instruments are distinct and easy to point out and follow individually.

On the other hand GS1000 serves something different. They sound very open and detailed. Bass is not so deep as with PS-1 but it is definitely very strong and punchy. I find that the headstage is somewhat larger than with PS-1, but it is not as pin-point accurate. Somewhat more spacey sound.

These are my impressions at the moment. I must keep listening as I have covered only a small fraction of my collection with these headphones. So much music, so little time.

Jul 10, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #24 of 50
I have not had the pleasure of hearing the GS1000 as of yet. But would be hard pressed to see any way that they could best the PS1's soundwise. The PS1's are darn near perfect as far as I can tell. There only possible weak point is is their weight, the GS1000's are bound to beat them in that regard.

- augustwest

Jul 10, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 50
You know, there are folks lurking out there with the entire Grado lineup - I know you're out there, speak up and help us out! Yeah, I mean you, 1911! Get off your butt and put on the PS-1, RS-1, GS1K, HHF-1 and slap on the Orpheus just to keep things grounded and let us know what's up! Or you know you can ship all of that over here and I'll compare it to the HP2. You know you want to.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Well GS1000 just wasn't for me. PS1 is just great.Maybe the best Grado I've heard.

Very intersting, as many have thought this too, myself included...until I heard the BD GS1..bye bye PS-1..
eek.gif

New king in town now..
wink.gif

The sibilance that people speak to in the stock GS1's presentation is absent or not nearly as pronounced on the BD GS1's...hopefully some folks will obtain and hear these soon, I can not imagine them being hush hush for too much longer...

As putting the flats on the BDGS1's and switching the amp makes them PS1s without the weight, only more coherent across all FR's..and more controlled or dispersed on the bass, and within the sound stage...meaning where the sound resinates from, or where the overtones come into sense from the correct angle (often further out from the headstage than the PS1 can reach with its imaging. etc)

Also the BDGS1 produces a much more accurate and larger stereo image, that depicts better the actual music and instrument interaction, both on studio and live material, whatnot. End result is a closer match or reproduction of the original analog signal..

The BDGS1 destroys everything I have touched, demo'd, owned, and sold...period. It is like I already saw all 3 LOTR extended plus the Hobbit extended already in the theatre, and know which part I like/need! So I may be soon selling some gear I will be no longer need/want.

edit:

Oh yeah, I owned the PS-1's for around 4.5 months, and used on some nice amps too. But just like the stock GS1, these were not for me/long term. Amazing to have either the stock GS1's or PS1's as a second pair, or in the collection no doubt..but for the PS1s and their supranaural fit, and inability to provide as liquid and as texture rich of a presentation as the BDGS1 do, they just are too much in between an RS1 and GS1 (the PS1 is that is) to retain, IMHO...
gs1000.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #27 of 50
I am probably the only one that doesn't know this. What is a BDGS1? What is BD?

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
It's GS-1s recabled with moon-audio black dragon cable

Ah, gotcha. Ok. Went ahead and just edited out the humor in my post then. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back