Official Grado Ps-1 VS Gs-1000 thread
Jul 14, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #32 of 50
"the more I read around , the more I remain convinced the gs-1000 can't touch ps-1 for my general listening preference"

The PS1, is a rather special headphone. I would encourage anyone who can, pick one up on the secondary market, and do so, without hesitation.

- augustwest

Jul 14, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
many thanks , Jonsku

the more I read around , the more I remain convinced the gs-1000 can't touch ps-1 for my general listening preference

Go ahead and hear the BDGS1 when you can, *laughing* I think you may like them very much.

The Black Dragon GS 1000 demolishes in comfort, coherence, soundstage, imaging, texture, balance, and dynamics, and overall listening, any headphone Grado makes
wink.gif
The BDGS1 is very different than the stock GS1 and the PS-1, this is obvious.

Although wouldn't mind having an extra PS-1 in the future again, in looking back as an owner of this can for just shy of a 1/2 year, am afraid the PS-1s would not get used very often, but to show people as a collector item.

The stock GS1 is very particular to drive properly, but was able to do many things that the PS-1/HP-1/2/3 can simply not do. The Black Dragon GS1 does what every hp should do and more...and truthfully could be 60% more in price and worth every penny. (shhh)

The BDGS1 trounces the current offering of any dynamic open backed hp, easily.. try and get some headtime with a pair soon.

I would love to hear the PS-1 Drivers in both the stock and BD GS1 in the near future.

Any HP output the BDGS1 touches turns into a magical experience..especially vintage electronics...in particular, the Marantz 2230 and the BDGS1 make me want to cry, after all the $$ I have spent over the years on dedicated hp amps, cry.

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #34 of 50
confused.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Go ahead and hear the BDGS1 when you can, *laughing* I think you may like them very much.

The Black Dragon GS 1000 demolishes in comfort, coherence, soundstage, imaging, texture, balance, and dynamics, and overall listening, any headphone Grado makes
wink.gif

Although wouldn't mind having an extra PS-1 in the future again, in looking back as an owner of this can for just shy of a 1/2 year, am afraid the PS-1s would not get used very often, but to show people as a collector item.

The stock GS1 is very particular to drive properly, but was able to do many things that the PS-1/HP-1/2/3 can simply not do. The Black Dragon GS1 does what every hp should do and more...and truthfully could be 60% more in price and worth every penny. (shhh)

The BDGS1 trounces the current offering of any dynamic open backed hp, easily.. try and get some headtime with a pair soon.

I would love to hear the PS-1 Drivers in both the stock and BD GS1 in the near future.

Any HP output the BDGS1 touches turns into a magical experience..especially vintage electronics...in particular, the Marantz 2230 and the BDGS1 make me want to cry, after all the $$ I have spent over the years on dedicated hp amps, cry.

Which begs the question -- I wonder how the PS-1 and GS-1000 would do on a level playing field -- both with Black Dragon.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

wink.gif

if you are so sure , then send me your BD gs1000 for testing purpose
smily_headphones1.gif
do you think it is possible ?

orphsmile.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #36 of 50
I guess I'm the only one that prefers the GS-1000 to the PS-1. I could never get used to the bowl pad sound and with flats the PS-1 bass always became too prominant.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #37 of 50
I have only heard both very briefly so I can't offer any valid comparison.
Comparing two heapdhones based on memory, I would say I am more attracted to GS1000.
So I am kind of surprised when I see people coming to favor PS-1 after serious comparisons.
This thread is an intersting read for me. Keep it coming, guys.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #38 of 50
donlin, you aren't alone. I prefer the GS-1000 as well.

Jul 15, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I have only heard both very briefly so I can't offer any valid comparison.
Comparing two heapdhones based on memory, I would say I am more attracted to GS1000.
So I am kind of surprised when I see people coming to favor PS-1 after serious comparisons.
This thread is an intersting read for me. Keep it coming, guys.

It might be that a lot of the above posters have owned the PS-1 and have only heard the GS-1000 at a meet for a limited time. It really doesn't give a fair comparison. The GS-1000 grows on you like the K701.

I did the same thing with the RS-1. I thought it sounded better in a lot of ways, but after a couple of months with the GS-1000, I prefer it by a decent margin. Old habits die hard, but if the PS-1 has more bass than the GS-1000, I think it would be too much for me. The GS-1000 bass is all I would want. And the smaller soundstage wouldn't help the PS-1 cause either.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #40 of 50
well
it's nice to know that , for a mere statistical point of view , the two headphones seem to be quite on the same tier and they devide the audience in half .
It seems they are quite very near for overall sound quality but sensibly different flavour and colour ; and different weight too , and this assign points to the gs-1000

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

wink.gif

for crying out loud man. it's ONLY a recable job... it's hard for anyone to take you seriously when you jump in every thread exclaiming how much better they are then anything (and make other weird claims too). If anyone likes ps1's better then the gs1000s, the recable job won't make the difference. Before you get your feelings hurt realize, most of my headphones i ever had have been recabled or upgraded as well. I can relate to a cable making a great improvement over a cans sound. Yet, recabling alone will not transform the can to the point that someone will prefer it when they previously disliked it.

(i edited this a bit to clarify what i meant... im not trying to attack you, but please consider what i'm saying)

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
the recable job won't make the difference

mm
not so sure , and I wouldn't say this ( MO the recable job can have a dramatic impact on refined headphones ie hd650 / 600 etc. )

btw did you get to hear the recabled gs1k ?

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #43 of 50
boodi do you see my point? my point was the cans can have a big improvement, but it wont turn the can into something else entirely... i've had my ms2i recabled with blacksilver, and now my hhf1s, i do appreciate the improvements it offers. The cans are still in character as of previous, but have the following types of improvements: extended highs, deeper lows, more dynamics etc... yet, they are still hf1s ; ).

I'm going to have my rs1's recabled with enigma audio oracle in a few weeks as well.. i do like recabled cans ; ).

I only heard the stock gs1ks, i never ehard recabled ones. I'm sure i'd love em too ; ). I'm glad he has such enthusiasm for his cans but its just hard for me not to comment after reading so many superlatives about them. Nothing is the best imo.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #44 of 50
I see your point mjg but I have to disagree

hd650 with stock at a side and hd650 with zu cable at another side have a completely sensibly different sound , to this ears of mine but not only ..

they sound like 2 different cans , not emphasizing anything here ;
I think anyone can hear the "dramatic" difference .

a recable ( some cables .. ) can change largely the sound behavior of some cans
if the headphone drivers are very refined and sensible to the signal differences there will be a quite concrete change ; some cables push 'sound-things' in a directions ; some others in another ..

btw I'd be more happy at the moment to try a recabled gs1000 then a stock one ; when I saw the headphone were sold from quite the beginning also with the cable upgrade option what I argued was that the cable definitely had to offer something more ( or different )
just arguing though ..unfortunately no direct experience
and I know nothing about the Black Dragon , and he's not a friend of mine
Dragon77.gif

?

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #45 of 50
i agree that beyond improvement of a certain sound signature, it can emphasize or reshape the sound in a bit of another direction... though the capabilities of it changing a grado to a sennheisier are impossible by a cable alone. I've had alot of experience with the 650's, i've had zu mobius, silver dragon, ohelback, stock cable etc... i humbley disagree, the 650 sound never dramaticly changed, it just shaped the sound a bit.

recabling is great, the only time i can see it as a MUST is if the stock cablign is damaged or they were such awful cables to begin with, or somethign seriously wrong in the application... beyond that, in most cases, if you like a cans stock sound, the recabling should emphasize the parts you like... not change a buick into a toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back