Official: Grado / Alessandro Liberators [CARBON FIBER] PRICING ANNOUNCED!!!
Aug 5, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #141 of 242
They have all been shipped except for NpatN's

Canadian's and Americans you should be getting the stuff anytime now... hopefully customs doesn't hold it up for you guys....

European's it may take another week or so...

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #144 of 242
Got a sample pair from Fulcrum Audio today. They are very well made & looking great, the drillings have the correct diameter (and are placed in perfect 120° angle), and weight-wize, they can compete with wooden ones. The bulge diameter is rather on the narrower side causing the Jumbos to have a bit looser fit than my "fatter" wooden models, but that has the advantage that pad swapping (e.g. for houseware fleece layer tuning) is easier.

As suspected before, I got a carbon fiber chip into my finger while examinating them though, and those carbon fiber chips are pigs to get rid of in comparison with "ordinary" scales of wood...
cool.gif

Won't comment on SQ, as I couldn't be bothered to tear my MS Pro Ulti apart. When everything is damped with felt as described in my thread, the build material is totally negligible anyway IMO.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #146 of 242
Guys also needs some opinions on what you want included in the final package..

I will be including a little bit of blue tack for testing fitting.
Anything else you guys interesting in having in the final package???

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #148 of 242
My 2 cents: I deliver mine with already mounted inner felt (the drilling can be cleaned from glue with a small nail). And I add totally 12 layers of houseware fleece to the package (6 smaller ones for treble to be placed in the distancer, 6 bigger ones for the mids to be placed on the distancer). These can be used to adapt the sound sig to the customer's personal listening habits.

That may be handled similar by Fulcrum Audio?

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #149 of 242
Received them today.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5703631/DSC06133.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5703631/DSC06131.JPG

So all I need to figure out is how to make GS1000 pads on the cheap, how to actually fit the liberators (something involving a hair dryer and hot glue?) without damaging anything, and to actually write a review.

PS: The carbon fibre is lovely.

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #150 of 242
I got a test pair yesterday. I am going on holiday the day after tomorrow and a lot needs to be arranged (you know how it goes :wink:) so I don't have too much time now but here are my thoughts.

The carbon fiber is stunning to look at and a great choice for distancers; incredibly lightweight and strong. The drillings are all very clean and overall the distancers have a nice finish. What I would love to see is that some dampening stuff is added in the final package. My experience with distancers is that - depending on taste - you need dampening of some kind. My own pair I fitted with an inner felt ring and some layers on the driver of the same kitchen stuff nickchen uses and Beyerdynamic foam.
To make this product even better from an engineering point of view is to think of a way to attach these distancers without using glue or whatever. The original Dark Audio Liberators is a good example of how such a thing can be achieved. However, it might be that liberators don't fit the newer mushroom shaped cups, don't know...

I attach distancers with tape. I use double sided tape on the drivers and then I "pack it in" with electrical tape. I have a post here somewhere on head-fi describing it all with pictures but I lack the time to find it. For anyone looking for it it's in the MS1000 thread.

@ Ntropic
To DIY GS1000 pads is very hard but you can get good results with other pads. I tried reversed HD414 pads with good results. From my tests it showed that you need some space between your ears and the distancers. If your ears only fall slightly in the distancers the sound gets screwed up. For this reason comfies are out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back