Official: Grado / Alessandro Liberators [CARBON FIBER] PRICING ANNOUNCED!!!
Aug 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #151 of 242
Yes, that's what I thought, so I decided to get the HD414 pads yesterday. The Pads for Grados thread in Headphones (you can search it yourself) really sealed the deal. Unfortunately, since they have to come from the States, I won't be getting them for a while now.

Fulcrum Audio suggestion: Get HD414 pads. Consider bundling them with Grado sales.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #152 of 242

Quote:

Fulcrum Audio suggestion: Get HD414 pads. Consider bundling them with Grado sales.

Disagree somewhat, that distancer + 414s thing is ApatN's special (read: ApatN only)
wink.gif

Before detecting the MS1K mod, I had my MS1 a long time with distancers and 414s, that isn't exactly something I would call an outstanding audiophile experience. And also without distancers, standard bowls sound waaay better with every Gradessandro I tried in the recent years.

The only advantages of 414s are price & comfort IMO...
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #153 of 242
I'm not solely suggesting that HD414 pads are sold for the purpose of creating MS1000s, but rather as an alternative to bowls or comfies.

As for actual bagel pads, it feels silly to pay $45 for what are just pieces of foam, not to mention shipping.

Headwize says to heat up the sides of the housing for 1-2 minutes with a hair dryer. I've barely done a minute and the damn things haven't budged and I'm terribly afraid of melting the driver. What method did you find most effective?

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #154 of 242
For getting rid of the stock sound chamber cap? Surely the hairdryer method. You need to tear with might though.

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #158 of 242
Well, after I finally figured out the liberators are just to be glued on to the ends of the driver side of the cup, I caulked (read: hot glue) the liberators in and gave it a go. Setup was MS1+Comfies (no mod), SOHAII, and Auzentech Prelude. Initial impressions: With this setup, you lost a little bit of the electric guitar sharpness in busier passages of songs, but still sounds 100% Grado in solos. Highs are also tamed slightly compared to before, and as my friend, a HD650 user, noted, less harsh. Personally, I never found the MS1 harsh and now find the highs can be dull at times with no sharpness or ring. This probably comes from listening to A700s all the time, where the highs are boosted but never harsh. But for those small downsides, you do get some big plusses. Bass has come out stronger, deeper, and with more impact. Soundstage, the big one, increases to the point where the headphone is no longer annoying to wear, personally. Before, the condensed soundstage of the Grado annoyed me incredibly, considering I normally listen to the A700s wide(r) soundstage. For the most part, the Grado sound is preserved, but with more bass and soundstage. If I were to quarter mod the comfies (not happening) I think I would get the highs back, and possibly the guitar mids as well. I hope that the HD414 pads will come in soon and show at least some improvement over the comfies. I can't get my hands on Grado's bagel pads ($45+shipping? No.), unless somebody here knows a local with a pair.

Another advantage is that comfort has actually increased. Because the headband is forced into a different shape, the pressure ends up being placed between your ear and temple, instead of on the back edge of your ear which tends to get sore after an hour or so.

I'd also like to note that the MS1 sounds like ass out of my D2 Boa, both before and after the mod. The highs were pretty muted before, and now with the liberators, is totally lacking. I'll be doing further testing via ALC885 (onboard) or directly out of my y1.

I'll do more listening later, including changing the porthole plugs and pads.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #159 of 242
Thanks for the review Ntropic, keep us posted on anything else you find

Keep playing with the holes and the actual seal to the headphones... it makes a huge difference the holes and the felt

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #160 of 242
I must admit that I find it a bit uncool meanwhile that everything you post is a link to your website....

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #164 of 242
Nor should you need to. My guess is it was a careless mistake by the admin who set up your Premier Sponsor badge.

Basically, all web links on any page are done by using the HTML <a> tag. For example--
HTML code:
Code:
 <a href="http://[size=8px] [/size]head-fi.org">Head-Fi</a>
Result:
Code:
 [url=http://head-fi.org]Head-Fi[/url]

Anything in between the <a... > opening tag, and the </a> closing tag will be made into a link. So if the closing </a> tag is left out, then everything that comes after will also be made into a link. That's what is happening in your case.

But back on topic, I'm now wondering how these distancers would affect my Grado circumaural mod.

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #165 of 242

Quote:
cerebrous isn't adding those links on purpose. It's being carried down from the unclosed <A> tag in his Premier Sponsor badge. Maybe an admin needs to fix this?

Hence it's the admin who is uncool then 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back