Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Mar 24, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #976 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by volkerlauterbach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

my first post here.

I got myself the Denon C 751 for Christmas, replacing my Shure E4s that had a broken casing.

At first the only thing that impressed me right away with the Denons was the build quality, not the sound. After about a week of breaking them in, the bass is really impressive, the highs quite good as well.

I have still gone back to the Shures for the following reasons:

1. I get a good seal on the Denon's, however the sound isolation is not good. I use the phones in planes a lot, and the sounds coming in are still too much. I need no Push-to-hear, because I can hear what is being said quite well.....

2. The cables really annoy me, for one they create a lot of noise unless one sits still, and the use of the extension is always necesary, unless one carries the ipod in the shirt pocket and does not move the head.

I am not sure what the Denon's strength in day-to day use is, they are not suitable as a mobile solution. Maybe I will keep them in the office for when I listen without moving.

Unfortunately Denon offers no foam tips, and the wide diameter of the sound canal makes use of other tips impossible. What a shame, I have really gotten accustomed to the great bass by now. But having to turn them up a lot to drown out outside noise is just not good enough.

Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

The Denon work well with the Shure E2c orange foam tips, and they need 100-200 hours of burn-in to smooth out.

And, if you turn them so the wire faces up, you can run it over your ears and eliminate microphonics. I use a small rubber band (like for braces on teeth) to act as a slider for the cord, to pull the cord tight under the chin.

I have pics somewhere of the Denon worn cord over the ear...

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #977 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by volkerlauterbach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately Denon offers no foam tips, and the wide diameter of the sound canal makes use of other tips impossible.

In addition to the Shure e2c foamies that HeadphoneAddict mentioned, the Comply T-400 foamies will fit the Denons too.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #979 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ack, I wish people had mentioned this before. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

I could never get the Shure orange foams to stretch enough to fit the nozzle, despite several violent and prolonged attacks with a pair of tweezers
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #980 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could never get the Shure orange foams to stretch enough to fit the nozzle, despite several violent and prolonged attacks with a pair of tweezers
frown.gif

And I hope I don't have to do the same if I get the Comply tips.

epithetless, how is the fit? Like a glove or does it need a little coercion like with the Orange foams?

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #981 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Don't make me whip out "the photo" again
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #982 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51
Ack, I wish people had mentioned this before. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Actually, I believe the T-400s are relatively new, so it's no surprise they weren't mentioned much earlier.

Quote:

epithetless, how is the fit? Like a glove or does it need a little coercion like with the Orange foams?

I confess I don't have the T-400s myself, but by other accounts, they're a perfect fit for C700- and super.fi-sized sound tubes (as they're designed to be). I wouldn't anticipate any undue coercion.

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #984 of 1,418
Quote:

I read into them and it seems they were specifically designed for the standard Sony/Skullcandy/Denon/UE/etc nozzle so I just put in my order. Thanks for the tip, Epithetless!

My pleasure! Be sure to post your impressions with the T-400s once you've had some time with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #985 of 1,418
I bought a few pair for my OK3s (in the canalphone mode) and also used them on the Sony A816 OEM phones (E082), and they are a great alternative to standard canalphone sleeves. I only wish I had them when I still owned the C700s. However, they are short (same size as the Comply shorts) and may not be perfect for every ear size. Wonder why Comply isn't offering them in thin and standard sizes too?

Three pair of T-400s are $14.95 and 5 pair are $19.95.

Comply Foam - Comply Foam Tips T-400 Version

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #986 of 1,418
I just listend to my C700's for the first time after burn in and the result is underwhelming. My impressions are that they lack bass and are very bright. Could I have received a bad pair?

thinking atrio's now...

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #987 of 1,418
My first assumption would be you haven't got the fit right which would create the imballance you describe. These phones certainly aren't short on bass. Bass does improve after a period of burn in though, as does the sound overall, with the highs smoothing out considerably. I used to have to eq the bass up a little when I first got them but not now, in fact quite the reverse

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #988 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by STONER1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just listend to my C700's for the first time after burn in and the result is underwhelming. My impressions are that they lack bass and are very bright. Could I have received a bad pair?

thinking atrio's now...

I sold the C700s because I found them a bit too bright as well (kept reaching for the volume control when certain highs hit my ears), but I might not have given them enough time to settle down. At the time, I owned the Atrios as well, and favored their sound. So the Atrios are a good alternative to the C700s, if the brightness doesn't settle down after some burn in period. As for bass, I don't remember that being a problem. But, of course, that's the Atrios' strong point.

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #989 of 1,418
Ok after some playing around with them today I found the sweet spot...and holy hell it really is all about placement. I had them in my ears and leand backed and yawned well this caused the phones to shift and the bass came alive in a big way. Also found that the smallest tips gave the best overall bass, needless to say I ordered some triple flange tips. I knew it had to be placement and the tips. Im glad I was right these things are awesome.

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #990 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by STONER1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok after some playing around with them today I found the sweet spot...and holy hell it really is all about placement. Im glad I was right these things are awesome.

Hallelujah! bernado was right, they're definitely not short on bass - accessories, yes - bass, no.
Glad you figured it out in the end
smily_headphones1.gif

How are you liking the treble?? It seems people are split between 'it's too much' - or it's 'perfect'. I love the treble. I guess my ears can tolerate the detail. But my b/f prefers his C551's as they have more bass and less high-end detail. The C700s 'hurt' his ears with the treble
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back