Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Mar 23, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #961 of 1,418
if you want to try another canal that is similar but in my opinion better, the victor hp-fx500. it is however a little more finicky with tips. i find with the stock rubber tips, it has a good but not great soundstage and good bass/mid/treble dissolution. however, with the foamy tips, it gets great isolation and huge huge bass but very little soundstage.

i am using the smallest tips and find it a good balance but they are still a little darker than the denon. with the audio technica and i presume shure tips ore even the panasonic tips (tried and loved for fit and sound and comfort) they are pretty good as well.

but, the most beyer presentation is with the audiotechnica. the senn presentation is the stock and the darth beyer is the stock foamy.

honestly, if the denon have a bad part, the highs can be a little funny and the bass either boomy or too sharp. the victor have only boomy bass with the foamies and never are fatiguing with treble.

soundstage if with properly chosen tip, is immense, larger in fact than the denon with better placement and in fact, beating my atrio in all respects. i cannot recommend them enough except that outside of japan i think they must be very expensive.

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #962 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want to try another canal that is similar but in my opinion better, the victor hp-fx500. it is however a little more finicky with tips. i find with the stock rubber tips, it has a good but not great soundstage and good bass/mid/treble dissolution. however, with the foamy tips, it gets great isolation and huge huge bass but very little soundstage.

i am using the smallest tips and find it a good balance but they are still a little darker than the denon. with the audio technica and i presume shure tips ore even the panasonic tips (tried and loved for fit and sound and comfort) they are pretty good as well.

but, the most beyer presentation is with the audiotechnica. the senn presentation is the stock and the darth beyer is the stock foamy.

honestly, if the denon have a bad part, the highs can be a little funny and the bass either boomy or too sharp. the victor have only boomy bass with the foamies and never are fatiguing with treble.

soundstage if with properly chosen tip, is immense, larger in fact than the denon with better placement and in fact, beating my atrio in all respects. i cannot recommend them enough except that outside of japan i think they must be very expensive.

The victor hp-fx500 is really nice looking set of iems! Only one thing: how to buy them in Europe?

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #963 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The victor hp-fx500 is really nice looking set of iems!

Agreed! And the comment about unfatiguing highs is especially good to hear. I can't remember if I asked before, but does that mean no sibilance (straight from a DAP)?

Quote:

Only one thing: how to buy them in Europe?

Or in the US, for that matter, at any less than $190...
frown.gif

This reminds me I should probably let go of my C700s...They're just not seeing any use with the SA6s and Atrios in tow. Maybe that sale will cushion the cost of the FX500s a bit (emphasis on "a bit"
tongue.gif
)...

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #964 of 1,418
180$ where? Do they ship to Italy? I would be glad to buy them for that price, as i paid for denons 180 euro (about 260$) here. Even at 260$ i still think they're better value than se530 for 350$. Why don't i live in America where i can buy cheap cans? Denons are what, 99$ there?

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #965 of 1,418
Quote:

180$ where? Do they ship to Italy? I would be glad to buy them for that price, as i paid for denons 180 euro (about 260$) here. Even at 260$ i still think they're better value than se530 for 350$. Why don't i live in America where i can buy cheap cans? Denons are what, 99$ there?

Actually, I mistyped; it's $189 + shipping, etc. from Dynamism.com -- and it looks like they do ship to Europe...Give it a shot and tell me how it goes.
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #967 of 1,418
Ack, after using my Denons for 2 months, the damn plug seems to have malfunctioned. The sound is intermittent now, and it seems that the part where the cable connects to the jack is loose somehow although it looks perfectly intact. Thank goodness for that one year warranty.

The thing that sucks is that now I have to use the headphones that came with my GF's Zune until my Denons are replaced.
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #968 of 1,418
Quote:

If you do get them imported from the states though don't forget to cost in import tax and "handling charge". Believe me it will happen
mad.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #969 of 1,418
Quote:

Niiiceee....tanks. They really look terrific. Now, on to saving for them
biggrin.gif
And what about er4p, anyone had those? Can i benefit in some areas with them over denons?

If you get the ER4P after using the Denons, your ears will miss the bass. It's a very clear sounding headphone, but the lack of bass is a dealkiller for most people in this thread.

@ Everyone

I found those Victor HP's for $178 on Ebay, but I can't see myself paying that much for a wooden headphone with not much soundstage.

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #970 of 1,418
Hi all,

my first post here.

I got myself the Denon C 751 for Christmas, replacing my Shure E4s that had a broken casing.

At first the only thing that impressed me right away with the Denons was the build quality, not the sound. After about a week of breaking them in, the bass is really impressive, the highs quite good as well.

I have still gone back to the Shures for the following reasons:

1. I get a good seal on the Denon's, however the sound isolation is not good. I use the phones in planes a lot, and the sounds coming in are still too much. I need no Push-to-hear, because I can hear what is being said quite well.....

2. The cables really annoy me, for one they create a lot of noise unless one sits still, and the use of the extension is always necesary, unless one carries the ipod in the shirt pocket and does not move the head.

I am not sure what the Denon's strength in day-to day use is, they are not suitable as a mobile solution. Maybe I will keep them in the office for when I listen without moving.

Unfortunately Denon offers no foam tips, and the wide diameter of the sound canal makes use of other tips impossible. What a shame, I have really gotten accustomed to the great bass by now. But having to turn them up a lot to drown out outside noise is just not good enough.

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #971 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by bernado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do get them imported from the states though don't forget to cost in import tax and "handling charge". Believe me it will happen
mad.gif

Yeah, unfortunately i know about that. But they can't charge me more than 20/25% taxes?

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #972 of 1,418
ahh, soundstage - it is huge - if you use the gel tips rather than the foam tips. when i originally did my auditioning i was using the foamies mostly and found that it had no soundstage but huge bass - in fact with the sony players, too much. now, i am using stock small tips or panasonic small tips - on the bus and plane ride home i looked around several times just to wonder where the birds where and when i should duck.

it was a trick done in a state of trance. yes these have very good stage. the er4 series will get better separation but i have not experienced any iem or canalphone with as good placement/stage as these. everything is perfect. i sold my denon as my atrio were perfect. then i heard these and i have been maybe one of the biggest atrio supporters since last may or april - i sold them. the victor are amazing.

any canalphone will fatigue somehow but these are even less fatiguing than the atrio and denon.

my review is here. I am no reviewer like some on this forum, so please read it for content not quality! the review is always being updated as i find things i like more or less about them - definately the best portable (truly portable i have heard)

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #973 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get the ER4P after using the Denons, your ears will miss the bass. It's a very clear sounding headphone, but the lack of bass is a dealkiller for most people in this thread.

For me, the most important is clear highs. I love bass to, but highs are what i like the most. If they are better then denons i'll be glad to take them. For electro and rock i could use denons, and for classical and other genres i could use etymotic. Sorry if i 'm ruining the thread
redface.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #974 of 1,418
the er4s are great but great highs? no, i would just say overemphasised highs. they are piercing the type that if on speakers or headphones, you will feel okay, that is a bit fun up there but stuck in your ears? say hello to a new constant friend as i did (at low volumes) tinnitus.

the er4s was the fastest seeming phone i have tried and isolated like nothing else, however its highs were so unnatural and made many musics that i had previously loved to be puddles of terror. jazz, no. classical, too analyitical. they are great, but not at all musical. i tend to like analytical phones, beyers dt880 for instance that many are on the fence about, but... the er4s other than raw speed are the least musical phones i have tried. i still prefer them to um2 if i can only spend less than 5 minutes with them as they are great for trance, but bloody painful and no stage at all.

love/hate/love/hate

Mar 24, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #975 of 1,418
To bad....i was convinced that they have best highs of all iems. Oh well, i'm gonna take the victor after all. These denons are best i've heard so far, but they sometimes do have a little boomy bass and too much highs (only a couple of songs though). Ok, enough about my problems about iems. When i find out how to make a tread i'll disturb people there
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention this, thanks to soozieq for this wonderful tread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back