Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Sep 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #301 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you provide us an head to head comparison between the C700 an E500? In which regards do you think that the latter stomps the Denon? I'm asking, because I found the Shures limited in many regards.

Tony, I think it's honestly down to personal preference. I had the same view as you about the E500s - but the issues I had (distant vocals for one) don't seem to be issues for the people who enjoy them. I think the C700s have much nicer treble and better vocal presentation, but another listener might prefer the treble of the E500s since it's not so fatiguing perhaps? Epithetless finds the Denons fatiguing, yet many others don't. It all boils down to what suits our own ears.

If one person prefers the sound of one headphone to another - it doesn't always mean the preferred headphone is 'better' - just that the listener prefers the sound of that particular headphone with his/her source.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #302 of 1,418
Obviously. I asked since I'm curious to know what the E500 are perceived to do better, and I have still to wait for my Denons.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've an idea for your thread: it would be great if you edited the first post and put there the links of the reviews and comparisons made in these pages.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #303 of 1,418
Tony, how? You mean put 15 pages of links in?? Or just the pages which include the relevant comparisons?

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #305 of 1,418
Quote:

Can you provide us an head to head comparison between the C700 an E500? In which regards do you think that the latter stomps the Denon? I'm asking, because I found the Shures limited in many regards.

I was only meaning to talk about bass, in reference to the subject matter at hand. Taking snippets from my posts, and smashing them together, it would/should have said,

"...the E500 do have more speed, punch, thump, depth, ...hit harder and feel more visceral, while the C700 are certainly not lacking [in the bass]..."

The sound signature is just different - the E500 are more mellow in the mids and upper range, and less bright, but still well detailed and intricate, and have stomping bass that to my ears does NOT overpower the rest of the music.

The C700 are more bright and up front, but with a snappy and ever-present bassline, kinda like Sennheiser HD25-1 or Beyer DT231 headphones. They don't overwhealm with bass, but never leave you feeling it is lacking either. But, like the HD25-1 or DT231, they don't have the detail or impact of properly amped and cabled HD600's.

The C700's are kinda like taking a small bookshelf loudspeaker and turning on the loudness control - at lower (i.e. normal) volumes they will sound as good as the bigger more expensive speakers. But, crank them up and they don't have the same sonic impact, but the speed isn't missing as claimed elsewhere, and speed isn't what causes the softer bass. Maybe it is driver diaphragm surface area, or voicecoil travel limitations instead.

So....

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #306 of 1,418
Wierd that I own both, and wont part with either. Sometimes one is in the mood for one sound signatures, and other times the other.

However, my Livewires shipped on the 26th, and I'll get to compare these with those VERY soon...

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #307 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was only meaning to talk about bass, in reference to the subject matter at hand. Taking snippets from my posts, and smashing them together, it would/should have said,

"...the E500 do have more speed, punch, thump, depth, ...hit harder and feel more visceral, while the C700 are certainly not lacking [in the bass]..."

The sound signature is just different - the E500 are more mellow in the mids and upper range, and less bright, but still well detailed and intricate, and have stomping bass that to my ears does NOT overpower the rest of the music.

The C700 are more bright and up front, but with a snappy and ever-present bassline, kinda like Sennheiser HD25-1 or Beyer DT231 headphones. They don't overwhealm with bass, but never leave you feeling it is lacking either. But, like the HD25-1 or DT231, they don't have the detail or impact of properly amped and cabled HD600's.

The C700's are kinda like taking a small bookshelf loudspeaker and turning on the loudness control - at lower (i.e. normal) volumes they will sound as good as the bigger more expensive speakers. But, crank them up and they don't have the same sonic impact, but the speed isn't missing as claimed elsewhere, and speed isn't what causes the softer bass. Maybe it is driver diaphragm surface area, or voicecoil travel limitations instead.

So....

I don't know if I'll agree with you or no, but I surely appreciate the precise way you described your thoughts. It helps keeping the interest high during the wait.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #308 of 1,418
I don't mean to call the C700s slow - they aren't. Which is why I tried to word my opinion carefully. Since Karma 23 was putting the bass thump as a priority, I still feel that the Denon's might disappoint. Though this is a comparison to headphones, my DT990/600 really can slam and can keep up with all forms of fast paced music. I just feel the Denons offer a tad kinder and gentler presentation than what Karma is looking for.

Just thought I would try to clarify a bit.
cool.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #309 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I paid the full $199 at a local store in July because I fell in love with them right there, and they were so new that I didn't think there would be online deals yet. (I didn't know they came out in Feb 07).

Also, I don't feel that they completely "soften the thump because they are slow". Even using Shure Orange Foam tips I played some drum solo's and they hit almost as quickly as my other IEM with balanced armatures. Previously I had spent a lot of time listening to one track in particular for a buyer right before I sold my SE310 and had compaired them back then (Tord Gustavsen Trio, Being There album, Track 7 "Karmosin"), and they seemed to be close to the SE310 in speed, with a little more amplitude.

I tried them again this morning vs my E500 now that I don't have the SE310's to compare to, and they Denon are just as good as I remember; but while they could beat the SE310 in a lot of things I feel the E500 still stomp the Denon. The C700 still hold up very well vs the new competition with the hit of the bass drum and string bass, although the E500 do have more of everything (speed, punch, thump, depth).

I put on some electronic music with synth bass (Jean-Michel Jarre, MTV music maker trance music), and the C700 give me all the bass impact I need but again, the E500 hit harder and feel more visceral, while the C700 are certainly not lacking. They C700 go quite low with synth bass, certainly below 32hz. Again, this is with Shure Orange Foamies.

The Denon silicon tips speeds up the bass a little, but I am not taking them off now to try that again because I always detroy the orange foamies trying to get them off.

HERE IS ANOTHER EYE OPENER - MY 3G IPOD NANO KICKS BUTT ON THE MACBOOK FOR ITUNES SOUND QUALITY, INCLUDING BASS IMPACT. OMG!!! I can't stand the Macbook without my iBasso D1 DAC/AMP anymore - using the macbook and itunes as a source makes the C700 sound like poooo
frown.gif
So, make sure you have a good source before you complain about the headphones.

I just ordered some of the Shure orange foams for the Denons, because I am having a little problem with fit/comfort using the silicone sleeves. The mediums are a little tight, and the smalls lose bass. They just don't feel comfortable, not compared to the Shure olives on the Atrios or the PK1 simple ear bud covers. I wonder if that comfort thing is affecting my feelings about the Denon SQ. I mean, I like them a lot, but when you are not comfortable, it can affect the way you feel about an ear/head phone.

Worth the try, since you seem to like them. I chose mediums. Hope it helps.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #310 of 1,418
This is getting ridiculous already. Sorry to seem so wishy-washy.

On the Atrio vs. Denon comparison, as Warrior says earlier in a post, the Denons have a very slight edge over the Atrios in delivering crisper highs and mids. But, if you own Atrios, like them a lot, and don't want to spend any more money, stick with the M5s. Just my POV. Having both is a real luxury, no necessity, for sure. I keep A/Bing them this afternoon (doing it right now, using the Microshar amp) and I really just can't decide which I favor more. I guess am going to call it a draw, and keep them both. As I said in my previous post, I am getting some irritation from the silicone tips, so I ordered up some orange foams from Shure, and see if that helps on the comfort front. I think I have weird ears, so I need something to squish and conform to the inside, and on that front, the silicone sleeves are less forgiving than the Shure olives, for example.

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #311 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered some of the Shure orange foams for the Denons, because I am having a little problem with fit/comfort using the silicone sleeves. The mediums are a little tight, and the smalls lose bass. They just don't feel comfortable, not compared to the Shure olives on the Atrios or the PK1 simple ear bud covers. I wonder if that comfort thing is affecting my feelings about the Denon SQ. I mean, I like them a lot, but when you are not comfortable, it can affect the way you feel about an ear/head phone.

Worth the try, since you seem to like them. I chose mediums. Hope it helps.

My ears are about your size too, small denon tips too small, medium maybe a bit big - hence the medium shure orange foamies.

Sep 28, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #312 of 1,418
Quote:

I've an idea for your thread: it would be great if you edited the first post and put there the links of the reviews and comparisons made in these pages.

Hey Tony, your 'great' idea just cost me 45 mins after I'd included all the links. . . and then shut the wrong page down
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
You're right, it was a good idea. I've put as many comparison/impression links right at the bottom of my own 'review' on Page 1.

I can add to it once you're able to compare them with the Etys. For now at least, new 'viewers' can check out most of the info they want/need from the links, without having to read every post.

Sep 29, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #313 of 1,418
I should mention a trick to more easily install the orange foamies, which are tight and wont want to come off after they have been on a day or two.

The orange foams have a plastic tube inside of the foam, and one end has a larger opening than the other. Pinch the small hole end between two fingers (forefinger and thumb) and then at an angle insert one leading edge of the denon shaft or neck into the larger hole, and push hard with the piched fingers toward the ones holding the denon earpiece. The orange foams will slowly slide over the neck of the Denon earpiece, and you can mash them on. Don't worry that you have "totally flattened" the orange foam between the two fingers by the time they are on all the way, because it will expand once you release pressure.

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #314 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Tony, your 'great' idea just cost me 45 mins after I'd included all the links. . . and then shut the wrong page down
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You're right, it was a good idea. I've put as many comparison/impression links right at the bottom of my own 'review' on Page 1.

I can add to it once you're able to compare them with the Etys. For now at least, new 'viewers' can check out most of the info they want/need from those links.

Thanks for the kind words and for the hard work! I think it's much more readable now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #315 of 1,418
Yes soozieq- thanks for the hard work... it is a great addition to the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back