Australian Head-Fi Tour Thread
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #47 of 342
Tour kit has arrived this morning, all contents looks perfect, outside box has been beaten up by AP so will get a new one in 3 weeks.
It’s a public holiday here today so listening can begin!

Sep 4, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #48 of 342
I have the Fir kit in Sydney now. I'm just now considering whether I could abandon my life and go on the run off-grid so I can keep them :ksc75smile: :runner:

Seriously though, I'm not sure I'm going to ahve that much to say about the 4s and 5s because I can't stop listening to the 6s. They are v-shaped bass canons so require a bit of EQ but the detail and resolution is incredible. They make my IER-M9s sound like $30 buds :frowning2:

Sep 4, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #49 of 342
Xe6 = Warmth AND Detail like no other I’ve heard…enjoy!

Sep 19, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #50 of 342
I have very sadly just sent the Fir Audio kit on to @xjaynine :sob:

All three of these IEMs are fantastic. My daily drivers is the Sony IER-M9. When I signed up for the tour I was hoping to discover some serious diminishing returns and come away feeling really good about the M9. It didn’t work out that way.

I was using a Hiby R6 2020 with them and used all my own tips (Azla Xelastic).

Build Quality/Aesthetics

Not much to say here. The build quality is excellent. I’m not a huge fan of shiny metal myself but they feel very solid and the inlays are a beautiful touch. The cables are good but unremarkable (in a good way). I didn’t use any of the included tips or accessories. Fit-wise, they were pretty good. They're not overly large. I did find the angle of the cable guide made getting a seal on one-side a tiny bit tricky. But I think that was mostly because my ear canal is slightly larger on that side. They were comfortable to wear for long periods.

Sound Quality

All three of these Fir Audio IEMs are a big upgrade over the M9. The Xenon 6 in particular absolutely blew me away. I’ve not been quite so floored since I first demo’d the Hifiman HE1000 V2 years ago. The detail retrieval is mind-blowing. This is my first experience with an IEM with an electret driver and it is amazing. The texture and micro-detailing is incredible.

All three sound more similar than different, there is a clear Fir house sound. They have big bass but they’re not what I would call dark. I guess you’d call them warm with bass emphasis. The bone conduction bass is legit, visceral and deep.

Like others on the tour, I didn’t play with the tuning modules. If I owned any of these I think I definitely would to tame the bass down a bit.

The Neon 4s adopt the house sound, big bass that can be boomy at times. Warm midrange and smooth treble. Excellent detail and resolution, a noticable step up from the M9. Similar overall tuning to the M9 but with more bass. One of the other participants described them as a more raw expression of the house sound. I'd agree with that. I think that comes from a smaller soundstage and so more intimate presentation, only relative to the other two though, they are very refined in general.

The Kyrpton 5s are very slightly the odd one out of the three. They have wider soundstage and better separation and space to the 4s so are a bit less agressive and intimate. But they are more of a V-shape tuning. They retain the big bass like the other two but have more treble presence that I found a touch hot/glary at times. They were probably my least favourite of the three.

As I’ve said, the Xenon 6 absolutely floored me. No question my favourite of the three. The are true to the house sound, huge visceral bass, warm midrange and smooth treble. There's great detail across the spectrum but the treble especially had an incredible lightness, detail and extension.

Widest soundstage of the three. Utterly incredible detail retrieval and resolution and especially micro detail and fine textures. I keep some chesky recorded stuff for using when testing like this and sense of realism, of the space in the recording venue the Xenon 6 is able to reproduce is amazing.

What I’d call a guilty pleasure tuning, not neutral but very enjoyable. I didn’t mind the bass most of the time. I listen mostly to music that doesn't emphasise bass (indie/post rock/jazz). I listen to some dubstep and the bass was a bit much with those styles for me. I think bassheads would love it, there is a physicality to the bass that you don’t get without that bone conduction driver. The midrange is warm and smooth with incredible detail. The treble is so light, beautifully textured and well extended.

Thanks to @Damz87 and Minidisc for making this happen.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #51 of 342
Howdy everyone, the tour bus has arrived! Thanks @redrich2000 for the smooth handover and constant comms (received the kit a day after posting).

As mentioned a while back, I'm coming into this completely blind (don't even know how much these cost).

Have only spent 10 minutes with the Krypton 5s so far and am immediately blown away (literally) by how impactful the kinetic bass DDs hit. I feel like wearing a portable night club.

Fit and finish is stellar, I couldn't feel any seams on the shells.

Gold is rarely done well in electronics/ audio gear. FIR Audio has nailed that hard to hit 'classy' bullseye.

Tour Kit - Xenon 6 - 001.jpg
Tour Kit - Xenon 6 - 002.jpg

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #52 of 342
Had the FiR gems for over a week now and having a blast.

I found out the hard way that Final E tips slip right off the nozzles for the Kyrpton 5. Anyone have any recommendations for suitable eartips? I was looking for something neutral sounding (close to final E). I tried spinfit tips but wasn't too thrilled with the results. Thanks!

20221021_094723 (1).jpg

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #53 of 342
Had the FiR gems for over a week now and having a blast.

I found out the hard way that Final E tips slip right off the nozzles for the Kyrpton 5. Anyone have any recommendations for suitable eartips? I was looking for something neutral sounding (close to final E). I tried spinfit tips but wasn't too thrilled with the results. Thanks!

20221021_094723 (1).jpg
The silicon ones that come with packed in each IEM case worked pretty well for me for fit comfort and sound. There’s both single and double-flange ones iirc.

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #54 of 342
The silicon ones that come with packed in each IEM case worked pretty well for me for fit comfort and sound. There’s both single and double-flange ones iirc.
I might give the supplied tips a bit more attention!

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #55 of 342
Same here, tried a few but still using the supplied ones at the moment

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #56 of 342
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Australian Fir Audio Frontier series headfi tour! I think it was a great success with lots of fantastic impressions shared from all participants.

Thanks to Effect Audio, we have another exciting tour coming up of their new collaboration IEM with Elysian Acoustic Labs, the Gaea :)

Details will be posted shortly on this thread so stay tuned 🙏🏽

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #57 of 342
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Australian Fir Audio Frontier series headfi tour! I think it was a great success with lots of fantastic impressions shared from all participants.

Thanks to Effect Audio, we have another exciting tour coming up of their new collaboration IEM with Elysian Acoustic Labs, the Gaea :)

Now this is great (and more affordable / less scary) :dt880smile:

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #58 of 342

Awesome!

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #59 of 342

Looking forward to it, thanks Damien!!

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #60 of 342
Thanks for organising @Damz87! Next one sounds great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back