Australian Head-Fi Tour Thread
Nov 21, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #61 of 345
1FA2192C-2C32-4C23-A0D4-434BE5FBEFCB.jpeg

This thread has now been updated, and we are now accepting applications for the Effect Audio x Elysian Acoustic Labs Gaea IEM tour! Kicking off with our first participant @lycos this Sunday :)

If any previous Fir tour participants that shared impressions are interested in joining this tour, you don't need to go through the application process again. Simply drop a comment here and I'll add you to the tour :)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #62 of 345
Awesome! Please pop me down @Damz87

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #64 of 345

This thread has now been updated, and we are now accepting applications for the Effect Audio x Elysian Acoustic Labs Gaea IEM tour! Kicking off with our first participant @lycos this Sunday :)

If any previous Fir tour participants that shared impressions are interested in joining this tour, you don't need to go through the application process again. Simply drop a comment here and I'll add you to the tour :)
Damn that looks nice, you know i’m keen!

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #65 of 345
Jan 19, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #66 of 345
Shame on me, I missed the initial announcement. Too late for me to be added to the list @Damz87?

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #67 of 345
A bit of a delay in my impressions, work and family have been keeping me pretty busy. Big thank you to Damz87 and Minidisc for organising the tour. We don’t get to play with awesome audio gear too often in Queensland so it was really appreciated. It’s been quite an eye opening experience putting the Fir Frontier IEMs through their paces, being the Neon 4, Krypton 5 and Xenon 6.

I’ll mainly stick to a run through of my impressions for this review. Full specifications and features for these Frontier Series IEMs are on the Fir Web page:
The technology implemented in these IEMS is very impressive. All Frontier IEMs, contain:
  • Kinetic bass drivers - for improved bass reproduction.
  • Atom venting - for pressure relief.
  • Open acoustics - for improved sound stage.
  • Rigid technologies - for durability.
The Frontier IEMs are relatively sensitive, with Neon 4 and Krypton 5 having an impedance of 22 ohms and the Xenon 6 at 28 ohms. As with all sensitive IEMs, This might actually prove to be a bit of a challenge to run with typically powerful AMP/DAC dongles.

The Frontier EIMs come with swappable “atom filters”, to adjust sound profiles to preferences. Fir were kind enough to send me a run down of what each filter does.
1674218967300.png

For my time with the IEMs, I stuck with the standard silver atom filter, however would have loved to have played with the other ones if time had allowed… alas…

Sources and accessories:

During my time with the Frontier IEMs, I mainly used my trusty ifi Hip Dac. Also trialled an Astell Kern SR25 MKII and a Earmen Colibri, but found the ifi Hip DAC most to my liking.

Sources files consisted of the Qobuz streaming library, with file qualities ranging from CD quality FLAC to Hi Resolution (24 Bit, 96 kHz). Playback was through USB Player Pro (to get that sweet sweet bit perfect playback on android).

As these IEMs are relatively sensitive and the ifi Hip Dac is a power beast, I had to adjust the USB Player Pro gain as needed to pull down the volume to comfortable listening levels. I also mainly used the 3.5mm unbalanced cables. Balanced cables with these IEMs and the Hip Dac got TOO LOUD too quickly. As such, a limitation of my review may be sub-optimal stereo imaging, but nothing I'll lose sleep over.

For tips – I gleefully used the Final E tips with the Xenon 6, however obliged to use the supplied silicon tips with the Neon 4 and Krypton 5… more on that below…

Overview of the full cast:

Let’s run through the similarities within the Frontier Series.

1674219255643.png

Although executed differently between all three IEMs, the frequency extension for all three was absolutely stunning. Both bass and treble extension surprised and left me with a “wow factor”. It was my first time using an IEM with kinetic bass drivers and they really seemed to raise the bar. They delivered a fullness and depth to the bass which I hadn’t experienced before. The bass seemed relatively similar between all three, with strong presence from mid bass to sub-bass.

Treble extension was excellent in all options, owing to the dedicated Balanced Armature Driver for highs. None of the IEMs were sibilant, harsh, presented any treble glare or “excessively sparkly”. It was just a really, beautiful, refined, well implemented treble extension between all three.

Construction for all three felt solid and robust. Knowing the price of these IEMs, I felt more at ease owning them while I did, knowing that they wouldn’t fall to pieces at the slightest of mismoves.

Of note, the shells of Neon 4 and Krypton 5 are made out of a different metal to Xenon 6. The shell of the Xenon 6 is made out of stainless steel. Due to this material, the nozzles had a decent friction and held on well to all the tips I threw at, including the legendary Final E’s. Tips felt safe and secure at all times. The Neon 4 and Krypton 5 however are constructed out of aluminum (aluminium) shells. While these still look stunning, I did have difficulty with the nozzles holding onto Final E tips. There was less friction and the tips would more often than not slip off and stay lodged in my ears. Calling me to fish them out with tweezers. Never a good look and a bit surprised with was a problem for such premium IEMs. As such, supplied silicon tips were used for Neon 4 and Krypton 5.

Individual run throughs:

Onto what separates these apart from each other, their traits and personalities. Of note, I’ve compared each of these to a stable of audiophiles, the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk (B2D). I’ll be the first to admit it’s not a fair comparison, a $330US IEM compared to $2299US+ IEMs. But since it’s a well known and widely used IEM, it makes a good starting point for explaining what you would get for… 10 x the price. So there’s certainly value in running the comparison. In isolation, the B2D is also a well balanced and well tuned IEM. So it will be interesting to see how well it does stack up against the Frontier Series. (The Blessing 2 Dusk is also one of the best quality IEMs I have in my collection, so I can only work with what I’ve got!).

Neon 4:

1674219294923.png

The Neon 4 has a warm sound signature. It was the most laid back and mellow of the three. The Neon 4 had a bigger focus and emphasis on the lower mids to mids.

"At last! MIDS! An IEM with proper and well implemented mids!"

This sound signature was especially well suites for rock and jazz. Stringed instruments such as double bass and guitars sounded particularly lush and full. Skimming through my Qobuz favourites I stumbled across across Pat Milano – In a Sentimental Mood. I had never felt jazz like that before. It was just so calming and intimate. I just wanted to give the song full attention and zone out. While the Neon 4 is warm sounding, the treble extension still pulls through. Ride cymbals still have a beautiful and accurate ring. The treble extension is still there on the Neon 4, it’s just not at the forefront and you need to deep a bit deeper to find it.

Rock music was a great match for the Neon 4 as well. I find myself struggling to enjoy rock music these days because of common v shape and Harmen tunings. I find these tuning leave guitars sounding thin and grating. This wasn’t the case with the Neon 4. I was pleasantly surprised to hear You am I sounding so full and strong.

As the Neon 4’s were a more laid back listen, EDM didn’t carry as much punch or energy as the Krypton 5 or Xenon 6. I found Something Comforting by Porter Robinson lacked excitement, with trebles not hitting as has and I am used to. The deep, strong and powerful bass on the Neon 4 however carried the song like I’d never heard before.

Comparison to the B2D: The B2D had a shorter bass shelf, not encroaching as much into the lower mids. The B2D also didn’t extent as well into the sub-bass as the Neon 4. In comparison, the B2D sounded somewhat shouty and hollow in mids. The B2D also was peaky in trebles in comparison and couldn’t reach the air presented by the Neon 4.

Krypton 5:

1674219471361.png

The Krypton 5 was the most energetic of the three. It had a more v shape sound signature, with emphasis on treble and mid bass. This made the Krypton 5 a great match to EMD and metal. Metal really hit hard with a shot of adrenaline. Honestly, I played Gored by Loathe and it sounded absolutely repulsive, in the best way possible. Double bass drums kicked hit fast and hard, guitars screeched like mayhem and vocal were right in your face. It was perfect.

The execution of treble worked in really well for EDM and really bought new life to some of my favourite bangers.

The song ʅ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡(ƟӨ)ʃ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡ ꐑ(ཀ ඊູ ఠీੂ೧ູ࿃ूੂ✧ළඕั࿃ूੂ࿃ूੂੂ࿃ूੂළඕั✧ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ɵੂ≢࿃ूੂ೧ູఠీੂ ඊູཀ ꐑ(ʅ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡(ƟӨ)ʃ͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡͡ by artist ⣎⡇ꉺლ༽இ•̛)ྀ◞ ༎ຶ ༽ৣৢ؞ৢ؞ؖ ꉺლ felt very playful and euphoric. The strong treble of the Krypton worked in beautifully with the song’s synths, chimes, ‘tings’ and ‘pops’ (how the hell do you describe EDM sounds?). All in all, this bought on wonderful summer vibes from my home office on a cold spring day.

Of note, the Krypton 5 seemed to have a narrower sound stage of the three. It was still good, however, the Neon 4 and Xenon 6 were just excellent.

Comparison to the BD2: The treble of the BD2 sounded more artificial and rolled off compared to the Neon 5. The Neon 5 also had a more stronger bass impact. There did however seem to be similar approaches and tunings to the mids.

Xenon 6:
1674219710340.png

The Xenon 6 was the most linear of the three. As with all Frontier Series IEMs, bass is prominent, strong, with a long shelf. The mids and trebles however were sublimely balanced and harmonised. Listening to the Xenon 6 was a real eye opening experience with several “oh, wow” moments.

I’m just going to say it – to all the Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifier fans out there, listening to the Xenon 6, Maynard James Keenan’s voice had never sounded so beautiful. Orestes by A Perfect Circle came on my playlist and it was a stop in your tracks moment. The balance of the tuning and the detail retrieval during the song was just stunning.

Speaking of detail retrieval, The Xenon 6 was in a league of it’s own. I was A/Bing the Krypton 5 and the Xenon 6 while listening to Slipknot. The Krypton 5 was without doubt the more smash-your-head-into-your-monitor level of excitement, which is exactly what you need when Corey Taylor’s screams violate your ears. Comparatively, the Xenon 6 was almost polite sounding. HOWEVER – I could hear percussion from Clown that I never even knew was there (who am I kidding, keg hits). With the sublime stereo imaging, Mike and Jim’s guitars were vividly separated and distinct, a hard feat to achieve. The Xenon 6 provided such a great look into the complexities and mayhem of Slipknot’s songs.

Of note, the bass at times was getting to the stage of being overpowering, however this may also be partly attributed to the Final E tips I was using. It would have been wonderful if I had a bit more time to play with the ATOM modules and see how well the other modules tame the bass. Alas, it will have to wait for another time (if it ever comes). In saying that, Jaws by Skream was a jaw dropping experience with that strong bass and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way in that instance.

Comparison to the BD2: Again, I’m comparing a $330US to a $3899 IEM so this is in no way fair. Compared to the Xenon 6, the BD2 sounded tinny, artificial and missing in mids.

In conclusion

It's been a fun couple of weeks getting to know the Fir Frontier IEMs. The Neon 4 were a more relaxed, laid back sound, well suited for jazz and rock. The Krypton 5 is a more energetic sound, well suited for EDM and metal. The Xenon 6 is a well balanced sound and an excellent all rounder. It’s a shame that a such the universally loved and industry standard tips, Final E were slipping off the Neon 4 and Krypton 5. Perhaps something for buyers to be aware of and there may well be work arounds. Or perhaps I just get my tips too greasy and gross.

At the end of my time, I was left with some interesting questions to myself:

Which one would I pick? A cruel question, they each have their own personality and bring something unique to the table. If money weren’t an issue, I would reach for the Xenon 6 as it is such a solid all rounder with awesome technicalities . If I had to be more money cautious I would need to look to my own preferences. Although I adored the fullness that the Neon 4 bought to jazz and rock, the energetic signature of the Krypton 5 would more fulfill my thrill junky heart when it comes to music. Krypton 5 it would be!

Are they worth the $2299 - $3899US price tag? Yes. The research, technology, innovation and expertise poured into these IEMs well justifies the cost. This in turn results in my memorable, “heard like never before” listening experiences. Having come from only hearing <$400US IEMs, it’s particularly impressive to see what a further investment of this magnitude results in.

Will I be buying one? As much as I enjoyed my time with the Frontier Series IEMs, I am unfortunately bound by budgets and responsibilities. Should I ever get the winning Keno numbers I’d pick one up with delight. Coming back to reality, I don’t feel the need to take out a small loan to buy one. Although they’ve provided exceptional listening experiences, I still love listening to my music with my more budget friendly buds.

Do they deliver an experience like I’ve never heard before? Yes.

Do I need to spend $2299 to enjoy music? Fortunately not.

Having finished my time with the Frontier Series, I still reach for my $199US Campfire Audio Comets with an affectionate smile. Although not as technically impressive, they still provide an enjoyable listening experience.

Still though, I’ve been nothing short of impressed with the Frontier Series and Fir Audio’s approach to IEMs. To an extent that the much more budget friendly VxV IEMs are looking more and more tempting….

This has been a lot of fun, thanks for reading and thanks again Mindisc and Damz87 for organising the tour.

Attachments

• 1674219247098.png
    1674219247098.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1674219344478.png
    1674219344478.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #68 of 345
1674272173809.png

“Different Strokes for Different Folks” or Impressions of the Effect Audio / Elysian Acoustics Lab collaboration “Gaea” IEM.

This unit was supplied as part of an Australian Tour set organized by @JordonEA and @Damz87 – thanks for making this happen !

Introduction:

Most Headfi IEM folks are probably pretty familiar by now with the EA Gaea’s and their intended design focus – the “EA’s” have been very clear about the focus being on mids and especially female vocals as their tuning objective, so these impressions will locus more on this design brief (eg, it would not really be fair to judge them from a bass-head view-point !).

As a brief re-cap of more detailed spec’s you can find out there, the Gaea’s are a $1000+ iem, Resin body / Resin stabilized wood faceplate with hybrid driver set of 1 x DD, 4 x BA’s, special “Dual Ventilation” port (DIVe pass II in pic below) body design with an Effect Audio dedicated 4-wire copper / silver plated copper wire mix cable, ‘ConX’ ready connector and a Rhodium 4.4mm straight jack.

Build & Quality:

Coming from such esteemed companies as the two “EA’s” a quality product is expected and they do deliver – the resin body and faceplate design is quite striking with the blue theme continuing to the jack and splitter body and to the blue & silver cable jacket mix, so there is no mistaking this product visually. Fit, finishing is to a high standard, the cable feel has no microphonics I could detect. As this set were part of a Tour there was no commercial packaging, so am unable to comment on this, but having purchased several EA products in the past I have no doubt that the unboxing experience would be a good one, if you are into that sort of thing.

Just an observation on the iem to cable connectors; they are spec’d as a Pentaconn type which I haven’t seen before, sort of like mmcx style push / click to fit and rotate-able once connected. On close inspection on the iem side, it has a fine connecting wire (see pic below - surrounded by red outline) within the connector jacket that looked a little fragile to me … needing good alignment each connecting time ? I suppose time will tell, but with cable changes via the ConX connector system, maybe this is a moot point when cable swapping.

1674272340031.png

Testing Setup:

My time with the Gaea’s was spent playing from a Cayin N6ii with the R2R motherboard and an AK 2000T on hybrid tube / op amp mode. Music varied from alternative / indie female artists; Cat Power, The Breeders, Mazzy Star, The Pretenders; some classical (2001 A Space Odyssey soundtrack) plus a sprinkling of heavy / more complex multi-layered sounds via Bowies early stuff (Width of a Circle, See Emily Play, etc), Dandy Warhols and Joy Division and then some Kraftwork for good measure.

IEM comparisons were inevitable with my own iems, such as the EA Axiom (polar opposite in tuning to the Gaea !), UM Mason Fusang, MMR Thummim, JHA Layla, but closest in price and maybe design would be my EVE-20’s by Vision Ears, which I’ll mainly use for a direct sound comparison given the Gaea’s intended tuning focus.

Sound Breakdown:

Treble
– certainly bright, but didn’t find them fatiguing in the treble, with good clarity and separation – especially revealing with female vocals, as intended by their designers, for example, I could hear minor trailing voice inflections in Chrissie Hynde’s (The Pretenders) voice on tracks such as Lovers of Today, that I hadn’t picked up on before, so there is some good mid to high treble goodness happening here even without the use of estat drivers. Although I’m not usually favouring bright sounding iems, I could appreciate the tuning work in this frequency range.

Mids – given what I heard in the treble I was a little surprised the mids were a mixed bag to me, while obviously tuned to promote the mids to support the female vocal range leading into the treble range, while they seemed very clear and pronounced, to my ears they came across a bit harsh and slightly over-bearing, and, thin at the same time to me. They seemed to be lacking in the needed energy or warmth to convey mid-range vocal emotion, which sounds strange given their intended design focus. Maybe pushing the envelope a bit to far in this range ?

Bass – initially bass seems very reserved, but on longer listening the bass quantity is there, but I agree with other reviewers here, that the bass decay seems un-naturally quick, making it almost sound like upper bass level sounds are missing or at least very, very reserved. This has the effect on me of limiting my enjoyment of a wider range of music, where multi-layered and complex productions such as Bowie, Dandy Warhols, etc are seen as lacking. This starts in my mind to form a conclusion to who would / wouldn’t suit this iem, hence the “Different Strokes for Different Folks” title for this review.

Sound, Timbre, Cohesiveness:

This is where I’ll try to look at the sound as a whole, the emotional / musicality connection I had (or not).

For their intended design for female vocals I can appreciate the tuning effort to highlight this area, which for higher range vocals works well, provides very good clarity and where the music is not so complex (ie vocals with basic acoustic instrument support, etc) I can start to get a good connection to the music, but with the odd upper mid thin-ness, reserved bass there just doesn’t seem to be enough warmth in the sound to feel the music, am more listening to the sounds…if that makes sense ?

I feel this limits the enjoyable range of music the Gaea’s are good for, although in their ‘sweet spot’ of highs & sparse instrumentals they start to shine a bit more – if this is where your music tastes sit, then I could see the attraction for the Gaea’s.

Comparisons :

The fairest comparison with my iem’s would be with the VE EVE-20’s, a 6-all BA iem in a similar price range. The EVE’s to my ears are whats missing with the Gaea’s, apart from the highs which EVE can’t quite compete with, but the lower range support, energy and hint of warmth from low to upper mids and into the mid-range frequencies in the EVE’s gives me a better and more emotional connection to my music preferences. This also makes the EVE more versatile for a range of music styles.

Wrap-up :

The EA Gaea is promoted as a vocal centric iem, and an especially revealing one for female vocals. While in some instances its works towards this, to my ears it falls a bit short in being able to support this aim in the lower frequency ranges (lacking) and upper mids (over-bearing), and I think that’s where it limits it’s appeal for a wider range of music genres. The Gaea then, I think, while a beautifully made and visually striking design, is a more of a specialised genre iem, where the focus is on higher frequency style of music. If that’s your ‘Cup of Tea’ they could work for you, but for me, not so much.

Cheers, JD
(ps, pics courtesy of Effect Audio site)

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #69 of 345

Kit arrived here today - thanks @Neweymatt! Just in time for some public holiday listening :)

Feb 9, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #70 of 345
My review is up now here. Really enjoyed my time with them.

Off to post them to @musofi now :)

Feb 28, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #75 of 345
IMG_2612.jpeg

New (borrowed) toys today. Thanks @Damz87 and @JordonEA for arranging.

My first impression:
takemymoney.jpg

These IEMs are tuned for clarity and soundstage. All the "mud" and "veil" are kept to bare minimum. It's crisp, with high-mid and treble pushed forward. All of these high frequencies seem to be equally and smoothly emphasised rather than peaking here and there ("cat ears" or "ice pick").

The bass is tucked to the sub-bass and the rumble is more than what I imagined. (To be fair, I imagine these to by larger Etymotic ER2SE, so any bass response is better). Despite the tucked bass, it does not feel like the odd sounding bass of Monarch Mk II. Commercial music and blood pumping battle music from games sound energetic and exciting.

Complaint? Yes. The timbre can be odd sometimes. And the sense of micro-detail does not seem to be top notch. I was shocked by how good Gaea sounds with Goldberg Variations performance by Glenn Gould. And then I was immediate disappointed by how Gaea renders Bach's Violin Sonata performance by Itzhak Perlman. I'm still trying to put my fingers on what is off with the violin timbre. More listening is needed.

Still, (at least at this moment), Gaea is a clear step up from high-achievers sub $500 IEMs that I have been reviewing, including the amazing AFUL P5.

(Would I pick this over Andromeda 2020? Hard to say. Gaea is no doubt a more "correct" IEM, so it competes against other IEMs that try to be "correct" (which are plenty nowadays). Andromeda 2020 is just a weirdo that somehow works. That "holographic" soundstage of Andromeda? It's pretty much real, and the bloated lower midrange seems to contribute a great deal to that effect.)

(Against my beloved JD7? Gaea stomps the JD7 in imaging accuracy and clarity, but I still like the "organic" rendering of Bach's Violin Sonata of JD7 more)

Btw, the EA cable. I have no comment about the sound, but the design of the cable itself is lovely. Everything looks deliberate and "designed." Someone has worked hard to match the aesthetic of the cable to the design of the earpieces.

Edit: this is just early impression, btw. I'll write a full review of these ones after careful A/B tests (and working through the current backlog of other products :dt880smile: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back