Australian Head-Fi Tour Thread
Feb 28, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #76 of 345
IMG_2612.jpeg

New (borrowed) toys today. Thanks @Damz87 and @JordonEA for arranging.

My first impression:
takemymoney.jpg

These IEMs are tuned for clarity and soundstage. All the "mud" and "veil" are kept to bare minimum. It's crisp, with high-mid and treble pushed forward. All of these high frequencies seem to be equally and smoothly emphasised rather than peaking here and there ("cat ears" or "ice pick").

The bass is tucked to the sub-bass and the rumble is more than what I imagined. (To be fair, I imagine these to by larger Etymotic ER2SE, so any bass response is better). Despite the tucked bass, it does not feel like the odd sounding bass of Monarch Mk II. Commercial music and blood pumping battle music from games sound energetic and exciting.

Complaint? Yes. The timbre can be odd sometimes. And the sense of micro-detail does not seem to be top notch. I was shocked by how good Gaea sounds with Goldberg Variations performance by Glenn Gould. And then I was immediate disappointed by how Gaea renders Bach's Violin Sonata performance by Itzhak Perlman. I'm still trying to put my fingers on what is off with the violin timbre. More listening is needed.

Still, (at least at this moment), Gaea is a clear step up from high-achievers sub $500 IEMs that I have been reviewing, including the amazing AFUL P5.

(Would I pick this over Andromeda 2020? Hard to say. Gaea is no doubt a more "correct" IEM, so it competes against other IEMs that try to be "correct" (which are plenty nowadays). Andromeda 2020 is just a weirdo that somehow works. That "holographic" soundstage of Andromeda? It's pretty much real, and the bloated lower midrange seems to contribute a great deal to that effect.)

(Against my beloved JD7? Gaea stomps the JD7 in imaging accuracy and clarity, but I still like the "organic" rendering of Bach's Violin Sonata of JD7 more)

Btw, the EA cable. I have no comment about the sound, but the design of the cable itself is lovely. Everything looks deliberate and "designed." Someone has worked hard to match the aesthetic of the cable to the design of the earpieces.

Edit: this is just early impression, btw. I'll write a full review of these ones after careful A/B tests (and working through the current backlog of other products :dt880smile: )
That's a fantastic photo! Simple yet effective.

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #77 of 345
Hi folks, my review of Gaea as well as retuning/EQ suggestion is available on both head-fi and my website.

Gaea_20.JPG

You don’t need a multi-kilo-buck IEM to enjoy music at an “audiophile” level. This statement is truer with every new release from talented and dedicated Chi-Fi companies working at the lower end of the market. IEMs like EAxEA Gaea are squarely luxurious products where some constraints are sacrificed to make something exceptional, where breakthrough happens. In the case of Gaea, you exchange the usual demand of a perfectly balanced midrange for a bright and vibrant sound that pushes the boundary of “natural” sound. Whilst I don’t believe that Gaea has achieved an unheard level of technical performance, I do believe that it has pushed the 1 + 4 driver topology to its limit. Suppose you are after a luxurious IEM with solid technical performance, bright signature and snappy bass response. In that case, EAxEA Gaea should be on your radar.
Pros
: + Vibrant and energetic tonality
+ Bright yet smooth
+ Excellent resolution
+ Excellent soundstage
+ Snappy yet strong bass response
+ Consistent design theme

Cons: - Tonality can be to thin and uncanny for some listeners
- Brightness can be fatiguing for treble-heavy genres

Gaea_summary.JPG

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #80 of 345
We have a new product about to hit the road:

22572C88-BACF-4679-90C6-6E8B0BB7C861.png

Taking applications now for the Luxury & Precision P6 Pro Australian Tour :)

We also have two new exciting flagship IEM’s coming up, so stay tuned!

I would like to join this tour. Curious to see how this expensive DAP compare to my Shanling.

Mar 26, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #82 of 345

Would love to review this one

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #84 of 345
Apr 6, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #85 of 345
Hi all, confirming I've received the Gaea IEMs, thanks for sending @reallynotareview

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #86 of 345

Yes please! Be great if I could participate.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #88 of 345
Hey Aussie headfiers,

I know from personal experience that demoing cables can be difficult in-store or at an audio show. It’s one of those things that really need to be done in the comfort of your own home, with your own setup, and in your own time to appreciate the sonic qualities and ergonomic benefits a cable can bring. So, thanks to our awesome friend @JordonEA over at Effect Audio, we now have the chance to do exactly that, and try the all-new Ares S 8wire, Cadmus 8wire, and Code 23 IEM cables!

We’ll also include Gaea once again in this tour, so you guys can experience it paired with another cable and hear for yourself what different cable materials can bring to the Gaea’s sound signature.

If you’re interested, please drop a post below to sign up :)

78396F9B-54BC-4A8C-B69B-1C014950704C.jpeg
A3E47C61-BF78-4144-8180-0C2377F1FB1E.jpeg

0FCF7B81-523B-4B1C-B476-9E36C45FC6ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #89 of 345
Hey Aussie headfiers,

I know from personal experience that demoing cables can be difficult in-store or at an audio show. It’s one of those things that really need to be done in the comfort of your own home, with your own setup, and in your own time to appreciate the sonic qualities and ergonomic benefits a cable can bring. So, thanks to our awesome friend @JordonEA over at Effect Audio, we now have the chance to do exactly that, and try the all-new Ares S 8wire, Cadmus 8wire, and Code 23 IEM cables!

We’ll also include Gaea once again in this tour, so you guys can experience it paired with another cable and hear for yourself what different cable materials can bring to the Gaea’s sound signature.

If you’re interested, please drop a post below to sign up :)

78396F9B-54BC-4A8C-B69B-1C014950704C.jpegA3E47C61-BF78-4144-8180-0C2377F1FB1E.jpeg
0FCF7B81-523B-4B1C-B476-9E36C45FC6ED.jpeg
Are the cables compatible with MMCX? I would like to test the budget EA cables with my Andro.

Anyhow, I would like to participate to hear what the fuzz with cable is all about, and if I can measure any difference.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #90 of 345
Are the cables compatible with MMCX? I would like to test the budget EA cables with my Andro.

Anyhow, I would like to participate to hear what the fuzz with cable is all about, and if I can measure any difference.
Indeed they are! All three cables are terminated with ConX, so you can use them with MMCX as well as 2-pin IEM's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back