Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread - July 16, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #61 of 197
  Any reason so many USB cables have flooded the classifieds tonight from USA Head-fiers,.. Was there a magical cable at the this weekends Canjam that everyone is dumping their usb cables quicker than a plane trying to dump fuel? 
confused_face_2.gif
biggrin.gif

Not that I know of (I was there). But something I did note was the preponderance of some high end power cables used all over. I didn't care so I didn't take note of the brand or model but they were really way thick and not something I'd use myself. 

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #62 of 197
  Any reason so many USB cables have flooded the classifieds tonight from USA Head-fiers,.. Was there a magical cable at the this weekends Canjam that everyone is dumping their usb cables quicker than a plane trying to dump fuel? 
confused_face_2.gif
biggrin.gif

Hugo and AK too 
basshead.gif

Btw, not a single Hugo seen at the meet.

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #64 of 197

confused_face_2.gif
biggrin.gif

Not that I know of (I was there). But something I did note was the preponderance of some high end power cables used all over. I didn't care so I didn't take note of the brand or model but they were really way thick and not something I'd use myself. 

Cheers, was just strange to see email notifications come through with so many for sale been usb cables which I thought was a bit to coincidental, maybe that's all it is then?  

Sounds like one of the exhibitors dishing out their cables to use on the other stands with their wares then? no cynicism intended, just the way the world evolves in getting exposure when they are at a show.  "All about shielding that cable with bullet proof armour"!

confused_face_2.gif
biggrin.gif

Hugo too 
basshead.gif

Is there a Hugo killer on the loose also then?

thought everyone sold their Hugos months ago already to get a Mojo?

Trouble with this industry now is it is like the phone market, it is out of date six months later! 

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #65 of 197
First time attending a meet and trying gear I hadn't already bought myself so it was definitely a learning experience. Some quick thoughts:

- Apparently I listen to my music at relatively low volumes, I frequently found myself having to turn things down, which means I'm not maximizing the potential of many amps. This might explain why I preferred the Magni 2/Modi 2 over the Lyr 2/Bimby.

- CEE TEE's description of the differences between TH-X00 models is spot on, but overall they are more alike than not. If I were buying one as my first step up from budget-fi, the Ebonys would be the one to get. However, I already have HD600 and HD800S, so I'm sticking with the Purplehearts that I have on the way.

- WA22-SE was a bit too bright with my HD800S, I definitely preferred the WA22 from the balanced output. Tuning isn't finalized, and they're planning to have a new prototype every two months, so things may change by the next time they show it off publicly.

- I tried the LCD-X, Ether Flow, and my HD800S out of the WyWyres balanced setup (don't remember which amp they had) and the Ether Flow sounded lifeless. It was much better out of the WA22 single-ended output. I didn't have a chance to compare the Ether and Ether Flow head to head, nor did I try the closed versions. I thought both were a bit overpriced at $1500/1800 but still enjoyable overall.

- Questyle QP1R was surprisingly competent at driving a high impedance load. Build quality was excellent, although I would rather it not have capacitive buttons, which you can accidentally press while using the scroll wheel. I'm not in the market for a portable, but if I were this would be a contender.

- Focal Utopia out of the Questyle stack sounded lean in the bass when compared head to head with the HD800S. Not worth $4000 to me.

- I might want to give warm sounding headphones another shot. HE-1000 and LCD-3 didn't sound as weak in the upper mid-range as I was expecting, and I enjoyed them both in side by side comparisons with the HD800S out of a LISST Mjolnir 2/Gungnir setup (I don't know if it was multibit or not). 

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #66 of 197

I believe those were the Kimber Kable Summit series power chords.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #68 of 197
I immensely enjoyed the meet and had many fantastic discoveries. I also enjoyed meeting everyone and people's reactions to the performance of the Elise. Anyone with impressions please feel free to post them on either Elise threads. It's a tightly knit, ultra friendly chill atmosphere on the Elise threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/813488/feliks-audio-elise-appreciation-thread (newest)

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #69 of 197
Picture from dinner after the show.

Seems you guys had a great time!! :smiley::smiley:
I am so mad :rage: I could not make it but I'll see you at RMAF! :thumbsup:

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 17, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #70 of 197

Were you able to check out the Mrspeakers Electrostatic prototype and compare to SR-009?

Unfortunately it was having some issues and was packed away by the time I got to the Headamp room.  I couldn't find another pair in the Cavalli/Source AV room either.

I've heard some good and not so good impressions about it, given that it's a prototype I would still love to hear it once it reaches it's final form.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #74 of 197
It was nice to meet everyone in person. I heard some outstanding setups today.

For me, the Woo Audio prototype and WA8 portable as well as all of the Cavalli stuff were highlights.

What is this 'Woo Audio prototype'?

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #75 of 197
  What is this 'Woo Audio prototype'?

It's like a special edition of the WA22 but the thing outputs like 10 watts at 25Ohm or something like that. ie. powerful! Those who know more about the specs than me, feel free to chime in. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back