Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 298
Man what an awesome meet. Thanks again Warren for setting everything up - and it was great meeting you! So many awesome tables I didn't have time to hit them all before leaving. I took a bunch of pictures and notes that I'll post tonight when I get back from work.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #18 of 298
wow, this was busier and bigger than expected. I guess I'd been away for too long...
(a couple of faces I recognized even said to me "hey, you're alive?") 

I especially enjoyed: the UE folks, the Apogee One, the Chord HUGO, and of course:
the Abyss driven by some Craig Uthus monster amp...

thanks to everyone who set up a table, the organization of the whole thing was great.
I even spent money on a an Astell & Kern gadget, because with my custom IEMs
it sounded way better than when I heard it before many times with various cans. I'm
loading it with music right now!

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 298
PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Mar 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #25 of 298
Had lots of fun with all the gear, but at my computer so can't go really into detail about things.

Tube amp right channel died apparently after bringing it over and setting it up somehow. Bit lame but not that big of a loss. Won the fiio x5 so that is a nice replacement to my amp. Now just need to wait on the x5 to ship.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #26 of 298
- will the Cobalt replace the LIQUID GLASS ?  any pictures ?

-which Cavalli did you prefered:  Liquid gold or the tube amp ?

I may be mistaken, but I believe the Cobalt is replacing the Liquid Fire. Although I do feel like I also heard that they are going to stop making the Liquid Glass as well. I could be way off, and I can't recall which thread I heard these things, so I may be full of it :)

Really looking forward to impressions of the Ragnarok and the 560 if it was there

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #27 of 298
I may be mistaken, but I believe the Cobalt is replacing the Liquid Fire. Although I do feel like I also heard that they are going to stop making the Liquid Glass as well. I could be way off, and I can't recall which thread I heard these things, so I may be full of it
smily_headphones1.gif

Really looking forward to impressions of the Ragnarok and the 560 if it was there

Alex did say that the Cobalt is replacing the Liquid Fire when I was talking to him about it. Sorry about the late response. Was very distracted

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 298
http://1drv.ms/1kTHoM1 Picture of my Favorite Cavalli - his Tube amp =D
Tried them all, there's one in there for everyone. The one to the right of the Tube Amp was designed to be as close to reference as possible, and you can here this in the music. No lush output like the Tube amp, and you can hear most everything going on. The hybrid models to the left were fine amps, but not my favorite - something missing from them that only a tube can provide.

Depends on what your ears like - analytical, balanced, warmth, etc. - you'll pick a favorite Cavalli based on all this.

That said, I think I came back to the tube amp 5-6 times today +D (haaa, haaa, haaa, haa). It's one of those silly amps where you suddenly grin saying, oh, it's only ~$2900. And not counting the $6500+ amp & $1600+ headphones. ~$10k easy, but oddly, IT ALL makes total sense =O (Much like buying a $80k Lexus LS, then popping an extra $20k just for the speaker system and the rear fridge.)

Top that with excellent to outstanding reproduction of the slew of songs on his Mac, and superb binaural reproduction, OMG, can't stop salivating!! (Must save up $$, must save up $$, ... One could even say, too many freeloaders on government support? Have them hear a Cavalli Tube Amp once and oh, boy, they'll become very, very hard workers fast!!! lol)

Headphone do matter a lot at this price level. Only two I was very happy with are the Audeze LCDs and Hifiman HE-500 headphones. Didn't realize they were planar magnetic headphones until Cavalli explained, and boy, another technology I must add to my list of must haves in a top-notch headphone.

---

Do note that swapping tubes SIGNIFICANTLY affects the Cavalli - from sheer 'crap' to 'heaven on earth'. Didn't recall which it came with, likely the 6N7/6SN7 Sylvanias if my vague memory holds up. These would be the 'reference' tubes to start with anyways due to their excellent performance.

---

That said, I listen mostly to female ballads (Japanese), Jazz, New Age, female vocals. A lot of headphones/players/amps simply break down listening to what I enjoy: eg. Mika Nakashima - Letter. Misia - Toki o tomete (this recording alone is frustrating - no MP3/lossy conversion I've attemped thus far captures all the audio detail well. Surprisingly, one of the few that require a raw 1:1 copy to a media player to make me happy) Ayaka - Blue Days Izumi Sayako - Kyokaisen Usually, at higher volumes, the voices break down first. Lower volumes, they lose bass and volume. Otherwise, some older songs like Elvis, Beetles, and some newer ones like Norah Jones, Adele. Thus, my choice of a tube amp will differ vs. your own music preferences.

---

Cavalli Tube amp? Very nice, even at low volumes, maintains a nice balance and fullness of bass to highs. Most simply lose the bass first, then become tinny. And works well with old analog music recordings 50+ years ago and new all digital recordings.

Thinking about it, perhaps the only negative about these is that the range (at the show Mac Volume settings) of volume from very low to very high isn't that broad. You can't crank it quite up to ear damaging, 747 jet engine volumes (probably the smart thing for everyone), nor pick from a zillion super low volume settings for nighttime/bedtime playback (think can't tell if the sound is there at all at night to the softest whisper at night volume levels).

The nice thing at even levels you know you shouldn't listen to for long, the entire output is well-balanced. Not bass heavy like many other combos, or gritty like some others. Your ears know it's LOUD, but they're not hurting like with lesser outputs. Quite impressed. ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best of Show for me: Cavalli tube amp Audeze LCD-3 headphones Fiio MP3 players Fong 7.1 software virtualizer

and Explorations in Space & Time binaural recordings on the Cavalli + LCD (I'll say it again, MINDBLOWING binaural reproduction here!!!!!!)

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #29 of 298
Ethan & Warren you guys are gods!  I have been to a lot of meets but that one was the best of any by head and shoulders.  Everyone was friendly, the vendors awesome.  A&K so helpful, UM actually directed me to JH for help with a pair of theirs i own.  All a family.  Got a solution to my iem problem, bought new Plussound JH13 cable, got a Wywire cable for HD800s- both the cables i have been putting off.  Everything there was just easy, rooms were the right size and it just came off really well.  Perks to all who helped with this meet, i am blown away, and that says something because most meets for me are just okay, another day.  

Thanks also to N3rdling for the iron, and Gary G of Musical Fidelity for helping fix my amp. You guys rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back