Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #106 of 127

For obvious reasons (both of them), I find myself drawn to your avatar.

X2, for some unknown reason, I keep scrolling back up the thread just to see that Avatar.

Who doesn't like a good Trinidadian Hot pepper?! 
normal_smile%20.gif

You guys are all pigs!  Now if you'll excuse me, I have a monkey to discipline.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #108 of 127
  1. LA
2. Playing it by ear. Also visit the East Bay a time or two a year. Curiously, if Cali is broken up into 6 States as proposed, which State would you be in? 
tongue_smile.gif

LA!!!

DAMN - you GOTTA make it to the LA Meet my personal audio brotha from anotha motha!!!
Which state - whichever has the best Blue Dream! 
cool.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #109 of 127
joining the thread late, sorry.  First time I volunteered for a meet, it was *really* fun: lots of chatting and smooth sailing, thanks to the amazing prep work of our Great Organizers, @warrenpchi and @third_eye! I was impressed by the array of exhibitors (new and old) they managed to lure, felt like being at a major trade show! I hope next time we will have more headfi-ers bringing their rigs: new toys are great, but only a system like this

assembled with love and labour by @Crashem, can produce this kind of enrapturement

(or was it fatigue from all the work done?). BTW that is @SanJoseCanJunkie enjoying a Chesky recording of Vivaldi's Four Seasons that sounded spookily like being there next to the players.

I did not have time to listen to a lot of gear but here are a few notes:
  1. like everybody else I was impressed by the Pendulum bluetooth phones. I had them playing Rebecca Pidgeon "Spanish Harlem" that I have heard on quite a few rigs and the Pendulum had a very "high-end" sound: balanced and very spacious, particularly for a closed can. Only thing I noticed was some sibilance on the highs (s-es sounding like tsshh) but that could have been the mp3 encoding or perhaps some bluetooth interference. Regardless. if the earpads had been just a bit larger I would have bought one on the spot. The Pendulum rep (a very nice guy who come looking for me since I had left my phone at their desk...) said they are looking at round-the-ear cups for future releases.
  2. I was stunned by how good the Light Harmonic Geek Out 450 sounded when driving @SanJoseCanJunkie Beyer T90s and even my T1s. I see a Geek Out in my future
  3. I was not very impressed by Oppo new Head Amp. I thought the headphone out of the Oppo BDP105 next to it sounded at least as good when driving my Beyer T1s. BTW I had read that the BDP105 headphone out was not powerful enough to drive high impedance cans, but that was certainly not the case with the T1s, and that was in a very noisy room...
  4. I spent some time listening to the Woo Audio DAC through a WA6 and the usual T1. The room was again very noisy but the character of the DAC was rather clear: fast power I think summarizes it, a very audiophile sound.

Well that's it, three days have passed, and I can't wait till the next San Francisco meet!

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #110 of 127
One thing I thought I should bring up for future reference. At least two people did not realize that there were two smaller rooms full of member gear until tear-down time. I think the recessed entry into these rooms (one of them blocked by a large column) made them somewhat invisible. The fact that the reception desk is further down the hall from these rooms may also be a factor. If we have future events at this venue, more prominent signage might help.

Originally Posted by Dark_wizzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm glad we asked the people at the reception desk where the rooms were. That way we didn't miss any rooms!

Originally Posted by baronkatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
I kept telling people to go there and they didn't seem to know about the room you were in until I told them.

Sorry guys, that's my bad.  I found myself extremely busy leading up to the meet, dealing with all kinds of logistical issues for three different meets/shows.  As a result, I wasn't able to the give the meet's maps/signage my best.  Add to that the fact that I hadn't ever been to the venue, and well, yeah.  Now that I know what it's like, I'll do better next time. 
smile.gif

Firstly I was to give a big shoutout to Warren and Ethan for making this meet possible and a shoutout to Russ and John for making it possible for me to go.

Anyways again thanks to warren and third eye and everyone one else that made this meet possible.

Thanks bro, it was pretty cool right?  And in just 2.5 weeks, we have the L.A. meet to look forward to! 
L3000.gif

Sigh. Never works quite like I plan with the mobile version.

Nothing to see here after all.

Really?  The mobile version generally works well for me.  What happened? 
biggrin.gif

For obvious reasons (both of them), I find myself drawn to your avatar.

Quote:
 X2, for some unknown reason, I keep scrolling back up the thread just to see that Avatar.

Quote:
 Who doesn't like a good Trinidadian Hot pepper?! 
normal_smile%20.gif

You guys are all pigs!  Now if you'll excuse me, I have a monkey to discipline.

Damn skippy! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #112 of 127
I enjoyed meeting you too and listening to the Audeze's for the first time. Thanks for the HD tracks advice! I have to pick up LedZeppelin 1-3! Not sure if Days of Future Passed is from the master. I haven't picked it up yet. Hope So. I think I made some new friends at the meet for sure! And I figured out where some of my money is going to go!

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #113 of 127
I had a great time at the meet!

I was so tired that morning but have to thank the folks in the boon-docks (Monterey room I believe) for being awesome!  I agree, there wasn't very heavy foot traffic in our room for some reason or another but being my first experience attending/bringing my gear to a meet - we had fun.

A couple of notes (Unfortunately I wasn't able to do any critical listening but rather got a general gist of things I liked):

1. Pendulumic Stance S1 -

Sounds similar but with more forward mids than the Sennheiser MM-550x I've owned in the past.  Has more forward mids which I thought sounded great.  Price point, however, is awesome and what I'd expect to spend o a bluetooth headphone that sounds this good!  Now for the CON (and it's a personal fit type of CON) - the ear cups are too small for my ears.  They fit similarly to over ear Sennheiser Momentums which are also too small for my ears such that I'm unable to wear for more than 20-30 minutes before my ears start to ache.  I asked the gentleman at the desk if they were meant to be over or on ear and he said they were made to be over ear and that Pendulumic would be coming out with larger pads towards the end of the year.  Unfortunately, fit is a dealbreaker for me and (like my Momentums in the past) I've put them up on the FS boards.

2. Centrance Glove A1 -

Sounded pretty powerful (across the spectrum)!!   I tried them out with my HD580s and the sound was similar to the Hifi-m8 I've auditioned in the past.  Being an open headphone however I was unable to critically listen and do an A/B however the Glove A1 will be something I'll possibly be looking to purchase in the future - just increases the versatility of my Mezzo Modded AK120 10-fold (maybe I'm exaggerating but it definitely increases its versatility).

3. UERM -

I can understand when folks describe this as being a neutral IEM with beautiful mids.  Though I like my UE11 Pros (also on the FS boards) either straight out of my iphone 5s with a little bit of treble EQ vs. out of my MS AK100 or ALO Pan AM, the UERMs are next on my list re: CIEMs.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to try out the UERM w/balanced cable with the AK240 balanced out but one day I would love to.  Definitely less sub bass and lower mids (to my ears) than the UE11 Pro, but it has a little more of that sparkle at the top that I really like (and of course those mids).

4.  The Woo table was always busy!!  I wanted to try out that WA7 with tube power supply - maybe next time (at CAS!!)

5.  I wasn't able to compare my MS AK120 to the stock AK120 as I didn't want deprive anybody from getting a brief listen, but if anybody was able to do a comparison I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks so much to Warren who I didn't get a chance to formally meet and Ethan who I did meet for a great show (along with all others involved) as I had a blast!

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #115 of 127
OOOOHHHH I forgot about the best part of the Stance S1's - Battery life.  Despite being able to be used passively (corded/no battery needed),  Internal battery lasts ~12 hours, however it also has the capability to use 2 "AAA" batteries - so if you have rechargeable eneloops, you can have a butt load of wireless listening hours on this bad boy.

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #116 of 127
I have been to several meets in the same hotel, and this Head-Fi Meet was simply awesome! I helped third_eye watching his table so that he can take care of other matters. I was privileged to audition his DNA Stratus headphone amplifier, Hugo DAC/amp, and his Violectric V281 headphone amplifier. All of his rig are top-notched and I was not disappointed in any one of them. It was interesting differentiating between his Hugo and my PWD dac. I was very thrilled each time someone comes up to his table to check out his rig and my PerfectWave DirectStream DAC, and I tried to answer their questions the best I could when third_eye wasn't around. Later in the afternoon, the same folks came back again to check out his table. It was a great experience interacting with familiar and unfamiliar folks and I would love it if third_eye could host the meet again. Great job third_eye! You are a stud!

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #117 of 127
  OOOOHHHH I forgot about the best part of the Stance S1's - Battery life.  Despite being able to be used passively (corded/no battery needed),  Internal battery lasts ~12 hours, however it also has the capability to use 2 "AAA" batteries - so if you have rechargeable eneloops, you can have a butt load of wireless listening hours on this bad boy.

I believe we can charge the phone by using it corded, right? AA/AAA battery only operation makes me want to gauge my eyeballs out - thankfully that's not the case. While $2000 headphones are very nice, I'll have a hard time convincing anybody I know to spend that much. <$200 however, I can if they're looking for wireless headphone that sounds good with less hassle.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #119 of 127
Hey Mike Mercer, where did you get your version of Donny Hathaway's "A Song For You" from? Is it from the CD? I keep checking HD tracks to see if they carry the album that song is on (Donny's self titled album) and I don't think they do yet.

Borrowed the CD from a friend for a long time and I can't believe I haven't bought my own copy yet. Well....I think the high-res version will be a bit more "delicious" to hear if the re-mastering is handled with care :)

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #120 of 127
smiley_thumb.gif
 Just Wednesday night I was listening to Donnie Hathaway's legendary track "The Ghetto"...WOW WOW WOW!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back