Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center
Jul 30, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #346 of 542
Jul 31, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #349 of 542

I won cables at the last one, totally worth it

Plus getting to listen to things I'll never be able to afford :D

I'm really tempted to go, August 9th is the first weekend after my finals, so I can definitely go but LA is a bit out of the way, 1 hour drive solo...

If I can get a friend to go, I'll definitely be in!

I'll be doing the 1 hour drive solo as well. Coming from Anaheim. 
If you don't find someone and still want to go, feel free to hit me up. I do plan on being there the whole time.
  I'm completely new to this forum and hi-fi in general. How many people show up to this? Are people really THAT willing to allow others to try their gear?

I forgot the numbers I think about 120-150 end up coming at various times. Some stay the whole day. Others only stay for a few hours. After lunch time gets pretty busy. 
People are THAT willing to let others try their gear - They wouldn't bring their gear otherwise =). 

I'd bring my gear, but I spend too much time running a muck. Lots of people do bring their portable gear or their main headphone/earphone to compare. 
Everyone is really nice and welcoming. I remember showing up to my first meet early. Almost no one was there and most tables were just starting to setup. I ended up talking with Jason Stoddard from Schiit for about 15 minutes at his table while he let me try all the gear. My second meet I was early again, same scenario. Craig from Eddie Current had just finished setting up his table. He looked at me and asked, "Wanna listen to some vinyl?" 
I've meet a lot of guys that I stay in contact with throughout the year. Don't miss this. It's a blast!

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #350 of 542
I'm coming from San Diego and need a ride. That would be at least an hour and a half so I don't think you are from San Diego....oh well. Anybody going from San Diego can give me a ride....pretty please?
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #351 of 542
  Aight, anyone bitching about raffle luck should know that - as a meet organizer - I'm not even eligible to enter.  So... I WIN!!! 
tongue.gif
  Oh wait, no...
frown.gif

I've been at past meets where the organizers were allowed to enter any raffles and I don't remember any problems.  IMO you guys should definitely be able to enter...it's the least you deserve for all the work it takes getting a big meet off the ground and running.
  I'm completely new to this forum and hi-fi in general. How many people show up to this? Are people really THAT willing to allow others to try their gear?

I can't speak for others, but I think everybody should definitely make sure to stop by the members' tables.  At every meet I've been to, the members' tables always have the best sound of the show...by far.  You have to remember people put a lot of time and care into matching all components of their chain to get the sound they're looking for.  It's very interesting to see what final sound people come up with.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #352 of 542
Reminder
Guys, tomorrow is the last day to get $15 meet passes. Starting on Saturday, all meet passes are $20 either online or cash at door. If you have already registered for the presale but have not processed payment via paypal, please do so before Saturday in order to get the $15 meet pass.

Also, if you have not yet registered for the meet, please visit http://tinyurl.com/LA-Meet-Registration to complete the online registration form. Warren works very hard to create amazing personalized name badges and early registration really helps!

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #353 of 542
Don't rub it in :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. There are many of us that couldn't win anything even if we were holding a four-leaf clover, lucky rabbit'a foot and a horseshoe after wishing on a star and a wishbone.

Yeah I'll enter but not really expecting to win anything. I console myself by remembering that I'm not dying to have any of the audio gear that's being raffled (though if I get it I'd be super happy!!)

I won cables at the last one, totally worth it

Plus getting to listen to things I'll never be able to afford :D

I'm really tempted to go, August 9th is the first weekend after my finals, so I can definitely go but LA is a bit out of the way, 1 hour drive solo...

If I can get a friend to go, I'll definitely be in!

Yep in the same boat it's like an hour and a half for me but I never been to a high if event that I regretted going to.

Ofcourse was the point of having awesome gear that you love if you can't talk about it with anyone. There are very few people that know what the gear is and even fewer that like it. The meets are where we don't hold back our inthusism for our hobby

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #354 of 542
  Reminder
Guys, tomorrow is the last day to get $15 meet passes. Starting on Saturday, all meet passes are $20 either online or cash at door. If you have already registered for the presale but have not processed payment via paypal, please do so before Saturday in order to get the $15 meet pass.

Also, if you have not yet registered for the meet, please visit http://tinyurl.com/LA-Meet-Registration to complete the online registration form. Warren works very hard to create amazing personalized name badges and early registration really helps!

Are we supposed have received an acknowledgment of payment or registration? I did both, but other than my paypal receipt, I got nothing.

Thanks.

By the way, no whining on how long you have to drive to get to the meet. I'm coming from New Mexico! :)

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #355 of 542

Are we supposed have received an acknowledgment of payment or registration? I did both, but other than my paypal receipt, I got nothing.

Thanks.

By the way, no whining on how long you have to drive to get to the meet. I'm coming from New Mexico! :)

Just bring your paypal receipt or the email acknowledgement of the payment! We will have a list of all prepaid attendees but bringing the email from paypal may speed things up at the Registration Desk!

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #357 of 542
I just registered and paid!  

Really looking forward to this meet, but did want to ask something about logistics (I'm a noob, so forgive my ignorance):  I'm planning on bringing at least 1 pair of headphones (NAD HP50), but didn't understand how this works.  Do I bring them around with me, leave them at a table?  

I've always tried to get the best hi-fi I could afford, but this is the first time I've gotten into headphones.  This type of meet up is such a cool idea!  

Thanks in advance to Warren and to all of the attendees and exhibitors for sharing your gear and your love of this hobby.  I'm fired up!

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #358 of 542

Really looking forward to this meet, but did want to ask something about logistics (I'm a noob, so forgive my ignorance):  I'm planning on bringing at least 1 pair of headphones (NAD HP50), but didn't understand how this works.  Do I bring them around with me, leave them at a table?  

I've always tried to get the best hi-fi I could afford, but this is the first time I've gotten into headphones.  This type of meet up is such a cool idea!  

Thanks in advance to Warren and to all of the attendees and exhibitors for sharing your gear and your love of this hobby.  I'm fired up!

If you want to audition gear with them, then you would just take them from table to table, of course asking before plugging it into someone's gear. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #359 of 542
Hey, I have an idea!  Let's duck out of the meet for a little bit and go hit the nearest Ralphs.  Might as well grab the Coffee and Donuts one while we're at it. 

Originally Posted by Kamakahah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm in. 100%

Originally Posted by Insidious Meme /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey I'll pitch in for the half gallon. Birthday gift and all. :blush:

No worries dudes, I'll get the ice cream, you just provide the company. 
smile.gif

Ice cream? I'm missing out on ice cream, too?  At least you'll all be missing out on some good 'ol lefsa :)

Yep, but I won't be missing out on the meet. 
wink.gif
  Check, and mate.

Originally Posted by pkrdlr007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is selling limited to vendors only or anyone ?. I have a few things I would like to sell and or trade. Nad integrated amp, HE-300, Kindle Fire, Dtx 501p, Infinity speaker cabinets and about 50-60 lp's.  

Anyone can sell their personal gear, we will have a Buy/Sell corner with flipcharts/markers. It worked really well in SF, everyone just needs to remember to list their phone number!

Thanks for the clarification, I was under the impression you could bring gear to the meet to sell / trade on site, that's why I mentioned about reserving a spot in the buy / sell area.

And if you happen to have table space at the meet, might as well leave your location too in case people want to buy it on the spot.

@warrenpchi I wish I could make it but my sister is coming up to visit that weekend with her fiance and on top of that Bill P (whom I was going to carpool with) is only coming back from Vietnam on the 14th. Looking forward to the next one though! :)

Damn, damn damn damn.  I was gonna say we could hang out with Jason and Mike for a bit... and regale them with stories of your historic triumph in S.F. 
biggrin.gif

Hey! Important question...

Will anyone famous be there?

Of course, you know that I can't say. 
smile.gif

@warrenpchi You should print off some of those Wii-looking Jude avatars and sell them at the door. That way Jude gets bombarded the whole meet for autographs. :smiling_imp:.

Lol, now you're just trying to get me in trouble! 
biggrin.gif
  I have a hard enough time trying to convince him about the Jude God-of-Head-Fi thing.

Well how about these AMAZING goodies!!!

Schiit Audio - Bifrost + Asgard 2 stack
Mr Speakers - Mad Dog Headphone
WyWires - $1000 Gift Certificate
plussound - Interconnect Cable Set
Darin Fong Audio - In Your Head Software
Mass Drop - HD800 Headphone
Audeze - LCD2 Bamboo Headphone
Oppo - PM2 Headphone
Brooks Berdan Ltd - Grado SR80 Headphone
Apogee - Apogee One for Ipad + Mac
Hifiman - HM-700 DAP & RE-600b Earphone
Sennheiser - Night + Day Pack (Amperior + HD25)

Holy Schiit. Amazingly generous of the vendors.

I know, right??? Crazy good!!!

You guys must be talking about that Sennheiser HD 800 that is in the giveaway!

and everything will be plugged in to the Power Broker.

What is that?  Is that anything like the Nordost Thor I'm using now?

Did you just invent a new word? (automagically). Cos' if so, I LIKE IT!

I wish.  I like it, but if I'm to be honest, my favorite portmanteau is still imagineering.

Guess I can't share my ipod and be automagically entered.
frown.gif

But seriously. Looks at the gear being raffled off. You should be working it for the chance at that.

Amen brotha! 
smile.gif

Aight, anyone bitching about raffle luck should know that - as a meet organizer - I'm not even eligible to enter.  So... I WIN!!! 
tongue.gif
  Oh wait, no...
frown.gif

LOL. Well...maybe you'll actually get your dinner paid for this time. That's winning.

Actually, a whole bunch of guys chipped in and bought me dinner last year at CAS, which was both cool and unexpected. 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Byronb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We are, sharing the experience is part of what makes the whole thing so much fun!

Originally Posted by Skyfall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm more than excited to share my portable gear to anyone. Plus this is a great opportunity to try different toys for future reference!

Originally Posted by trimrite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

AWESOME

I LOVE THIS HOBBY! 
smile.gif

Are people under 18 allowed? and are we supposed to bring our own gear? I am a 16 year old headphone enthusiast and would love to attend! 

I don't believe there is an age limit. I for one would love to see younger people enjoying our awesome hobby. You don't have to bring anything but your ears and a desire to hear some incredible equipment and a willingness to meet some really great people!

Yup, listen to Byronb. 
smile.gif
  BTW Josablo, here's an interesting story for you.  There are quite a few Head-Fiers under 18.  For example, wolfetan44 (who is also in the Bay Area) is only 15.  When I first met him at a meet in San Francisco a few years back, he was only 14.  His maturity and passion for audio impressed me... and now, he is one of the reviewers at Audio360 (http://www.audio360.org/staff_wolf-ethan.php).  So not only are young Head-Fiers allowed, but good things can happen by going to meets.

I forgot the numbers I think about 120-150 end up coming at various times. Some stay the whole day. Others only stay for a few hours. After lunch time gets pretty busy. 
People are THAT willing to let others try their gear - They wouldn't bring their gear otherwise =). 

I've meet a lot of guys that I stay in contact with throughout the year. Don't miss this. It's a blast!

+10 to all of that! 
smile.gif

tongue.gif
  Oh wait, no...
frown.gif

I've been at past meets where the organizers were allowed to enter any raffles and I don't remember any problems.  IMO you guys should definitely be able to enter...it's the least you deserve for all the work it takes getting a big meet off the ground and running.

I hear ya, but something about it still feels wrong to me.  Maybe that's because I know that I'll be drawing the winning tickets.  And something about [literally] having a hand in it makes me want to be super fair.  Call it an overactive sense of ethics or something, but it just feels right that I not be in it.  Besides, I get pretty happy about my fellow Head-Fiers winning really cool stuff... stuff that I routinely get to try out for free... sometimes for months at a time... just by virtue of being a reviewer.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought, but I'll be aight. 
redface.gif

I can't speak for others, but I think everybody should definitely make sure to stop by the members' tables.  At every meet I've been to, the members' tables always have the best sound of the show...by far.  You have to remember people put a lot of time and care into matching all components of their chain to get the sound they're looking for.  It's very interesting to see what final sound people come up with.

I completely agree, especially for people that are looking to put together a complete rig.  A lot of the rigs that members bring have been forged through tedious (and expensive) trial and error.  Learn from them, and save yourself a lot of grief.  Also, check out Frank Cooter's table to experience some remarkable DIY.

Fo sho! 
wink.gif

If you want to audition gear with them, then you would just take them from table to table, of course asking before plugging it into someone's gear. 

Totally welcome!  Coming from the 2-channel world, you'll appreciate what I'm about to say.  This meet has about 55 table so far.  Each table can hold approximately 2 rigs.  So this is like the headphone equivalent of an audio show with 110 rooms... and I'm not even counting the portable rigs that people are carrying around with them.  If that sounds like a fun way to spend 8 hours (yes, only 8 hours), you are gonna have tons of fun!

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #360 of 542

Damn, damn damn damn.  I was gonna say we could hang out with Jason and Mike for a bit... and regale them with stories of your historic triumph in S.F. 
biggrin.gif

Now I really wish I could teleport myself down there. Hopefully they will come up for the next Bay Area Meet as it would be great to hang out and chat with them again! I trust you can fill them in on how the Bay Area Meet was :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back