Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014 Impressions thread
Feb 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #121 of 128
Hey folks, I am finally back to Austin after an extended trip working on some other projects besides CA.

What a great meet this was. Many, many thanks to Cee Tee and Zerodeefex for all of the work they put this one and for making this meet a great gathering of headphone addicts interested in good sound and cool stuff. It is always nice to put names to faces and to have a chance to chat with people you only know by name.

In addition to this, as a result of the significant interest at the meet and especially from many who could not come...

We are going to continue the meet special, starting today, for the remaining units in the current Liquid Glass and Liquid Gold Spring production runs or June 15, whichever comes first.

After all of the emails that I received from so many of you I felt that I wanted to do something more for this community that has done so much for me, as best I possibly can.

New prices are:

Liquid Glass - $2950
Liquid Gold - $3950

Also, for those who have interest in Liquid Glass, we probably won't schedule another production run for a while. Liquid Glass is a complicated amp to build and a specialty item for those who really want to roll lots of tubes. It also happens to be a great sounding amp!! If you are interested in Liquid Glass, now might be a good time to grab one.
smile.gif

Please contact me separately from this thread if you have questions about the specials.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #122 of 128

O... M... G... holy moly! 
eek.gif
  And that's probably just the stuff that would fit in the car! 
biggrin.gif

Great pics Bill-P! 
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #123 of 128
Out of your Head vs. TB Isone.

I got to hear out of your head at the meet and liked it. I was just searching around and found TB Isone. I just installed Soundflower, Apple Audio Engine and TB Isone on my Mac. Soundflower and Apple Audio Engine are free. Isone is 20 Euros. Using these 3 programs together I'm pretty impressed with the simulations/crossfeed.

Here is a video showing how to set up Soundflower and Audio engine.

Has anyone else used Isone and compared it to out of your head? There is a huge price difference and TB Isone is pretty impressive. I found it extremely useful on some old Beatles recording where vocals are panned hard left and right.

Isone simulates in headphones that sound of you sitting in front of a set of speakers...well many different sets in different environments.

Anyone else tried this and have any impressions?

Screen shot of the interface -

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #124 of 128

Now, that's a "sandwich" you don't see every day.

Perhaps we could call that a Pile of Schiit?

I was really impressed with the Bifrost > Lyr > HE-500 synergy, so much so that I ended up ordering the three recently. 

One of the surprising gems of the meet, for me, was LFF's Enigma. Its sound signature really appealed to me and is definitely a headphone I would like to spend some more time with in a calmer environment. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #125 of 128
Hi, all: 

I'm sorry I missed out!  

I was in the throes of a new chemo regimen, "the nasty" one, because the less nasty ones didn't stop the spread.  I was also going through radiation on yet another body part.  That made 4 different radiation treatment sequences.  I'm about to go into number 5.  The idea is to keep me as active as long as possible.  I suppose at some point, the idea is to have everything fail at once... you know, like you wish your old used car would fail.  That way you don't fix the transmission, the the tires the next month, then the engine the next, finally ending up with a working car after much expense; but then the catalytic converters fail and you realize the car is worth zero.  PS: that actually happened to my car lately!  So... buying the cats.  Great car, but worth zero without new cats. 

I was listening mostly to my Valhalla and HD650 at home, and using my iPad with SR-71b and HD650 on the road (i.e., during chemo sessions... makes it fun along with the great nurses).  

My second-to-latest chemo regimen cost me all my hair.  All.  No eyelashes even. 

Before (August): 

After: 

And during (messes with my head).  :wink:

Now I'm enjoying the LCD-X and various amps including the Meridian Prime, from Mountain View's store Audio High.  I decided to spend some of my future-widow's money.  She's in full support!  :wink:

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #126 of 128
Hi Stoney,

I'm not sure we've met but our paths have surely crossed as we are both in the bay area and both of us have attended many local events.  I was struck with what a great attitude you have toward dealing with your cancer.  There is not much you can do about the cancer, and it seems you are doing everything possible, but the attitude is something you can control to some extent, although I'm sure it is difficult sometimes.  Your car analogy was great!  I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the LCD-X, I like it a lot.  I'm glad you are getting full support from your wife and family, and I'm sure the Head-Fi community as well.  Audio High is a great place to visit and hang out.  If there is anything I can do to help...if you would like someone to talk about audio, etc, or whatever, please feel to contact me.   Best of luck to you!  

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #127 of 128
Thanks, KurtW, I appreciate your words and spirit.  I have also a great doctor, Dormady at El Camino Hospital in Mountain View. Surgeries were Stanford because the new Dean of the urology oncology is also someone who does a rare type of reconstruction after removing the bladder etc.  So I've got a home-made one.  Silk purse from a sow's ear.  

I'm in the process of selling my main system.  If you know anyone interested or a way to spread the word locally (I'd prefer to sell locally, and can demo that way), please let me know.  

Amplifier:​
Moore Frankland Associates MFA-M120C monoblocks with the revered pre-war Ei KT90s, and Mullard CV4004s.
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated):​
Mod Squad Deluxe Line Drive
Speakers:​
Vandersteen 3A Signature in Cherry/Black
CD Player/DAC:​
Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player
Turntable/Phono Stage:​
Merrill Heirloom Turntable with modified peripheral weight (damped and fixed the clamp ring onto the lead/acrylic platter). MusicClamp spindle-collet clamp which presses record grooves against lead platter. ET2 tonearm with Wisa (>5psi) pump and surge tank, and high-pressure manifold. Audioquest AQ7000nsx low output moving coil. Vendetta Research SCP-2A phono stage.
Other Source(s):​
Mac-based server using Pure Audio software drawing on iTunes library, output via USB to Meridian Prime DAC-headphone amp or to Squeezebox Touch.  Yamaha DVD-S1800 universal player (primarly DVD, some DVD-Audio).
Speaker Cables/Interconnects:​
Cardas Hex speaker cables, internal bi-wired. Cardas Cross and Neutral Reference interconnects.
Other (Power Conditioner, Racks etc.):​
Balanced Power Technologies BPT-3.5 signature power conditioner (highly recommended!). Sennheiser HD-650 headphones (Cardas cable). Audeze LCD-X headphones with Meridian Prime DAC/amp. 
Tweaks:​
Cones, sorbothane, various brands. VPI bricks on power transformers.
Room Comments/Treatments:​
Temporary acoustic foam when doing critical listening, including on ceiling, works well to tame first reflections.
[td=colspan:2]Sources:[/td]​
[td=colspan:2]Other Accessories/Room/Misc.:[/td]​

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #128 of 128
That's a really great system! I hope you can find a buyer that will buy the whole system. There is a lot of work that goes into getting the synergy working at a high level, so hopefully you will find someone that recognizes that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back