OFFICIAL 2012 Bay Area Meet Thread (California) February 11th, Saturday
Feb 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #376 of 473
X2 for the audiologist that was there last year, my impressions were perfect.  That said, there were some refit requirements reported... I think it's part of the territory with customs.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #377 of 473
^X2 - I've had two sets of impressions done by the audiologist who was at the meet last year, one at the meet and one this year. I've had no problems with two different customs manufacturers and her impressions.

AT the meet she was doing about three of four at a time, I don't remember it being particularly rushed even though there was a shortish line.

Bleeding? yikes.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #378 of 473
Regarding Audiologist:  My impressions were great...nice and full, did not ask for any adjustments.

@Maxvla seems to be an outlier, too bad he had a bad experience in Colorado.   (Wasn't it RMAF?) 

I can tell you that I don't think they are planning to fly the audiologist out from Colorado...
tongue.gif

ALSO:  This year we have the audiologist for a longer period, from 10-4 instead of 11-2.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #379 of 473
We'll have some Squeezebox Touches so USB sticks will work great with them.  We'll also have a few IPure Docks so you can get digital out of your iDevice.  We'll also have a couple of CD transports available.  

Of course, you could also bring along your tape rig like Doc B! 
blink.gif

Quote:

For those who are serious, don't forget to bring CDs of your favorite/reference recordings

I hope this wasn't already mentioned, if so then I apologize.

Just as a reminder to myself and everyone else, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a few CDs of your favorite recordings. Last year, there were a fair amount of rigs (high-end) with only CD players - I was kicking myself for forgetting to burn a few reference CDs. It's also not a bad idea to bring a USB stick, but that's assuming the laptop owner will let you plug in. Because of the expected super large attendance this year (meaning more "unknowns" may show up), I won't be supporting computer based audio as I've had at prior meets. I will bring a CD transport instead. I know a few others with very high-end rigs who will do the same (only offer CD media based playback.)

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #380 of 473
It should go without saying... but I will anyway... If you are planning on getting your impressions done be sure your ears are clean and wax free.  If you've got some wax down inside it makes it difficult for the Audiologist to get the impressions set in deep in the canal.  

Now, remind me, who's bringing the hair nets?  
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #381 of 473
My experience with the fit for my UERMs was a bit bumpy.  I had my impressions done at the meet last year.  It took four adjustments to get the fit right. 

Now they're comfortable and I can easily wear them for hours, but it took quite a while (sending them back and forth) to get them that way. 

FWIW -- the adjustment tool on the UE web site works pretty well and UE handled the adjustment requests professionally.  Here''s the link to the tool if anyone needs it:
http://ue-support.logitech.com/support/fit-tool/main.html

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #382 of 473
My impressions by the audiologist last year were fine.  There was some initial slight discomfort with my customs when I moved my jaw but my ear canal became used to it after a few times wearing the headphones.  I have worn my customs for as long as 13 hours straight on an overseas flight without any issues now. 

If it's the same audiologist as last year, I think she'll make excellent impressions. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #383 of 473
^Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences on ear impressions and custom fitting/re-fitting. 

Will help new members to customs to have an idea of what they might expect. 

Sometimes it works on first try (with getting used to them) and sometimes it can take a refit (or a few)! 

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #384 of 473
Hey guys,

Since we are coming down to it, I just wanted to make sure folks are covered for transportation to the event. 

If anyone in the San Francisco to San Mateo area (or any city in between) needs a ride on Saturday, shoot me a PM. 

I'm planning on arriving early on Saturday to help set up (if needed), and I can take 2-4 other people, depending on if you have any gear. I'll likely stay until the end. 

Thanks again to CEE TEE for donating his time and energy in planning this big event. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #385 of 473

Quote:
We'll have some Squeezebox Touches so USB sticks will work great with them.  We'll also have a few IPure Docks so you can get digital out of your iDevice.  We'll also have a couple of CD transports available.  

Of course, you could also bring along your tape rig like Doc B! 
blink.gif

I'm tempted but will ultimately pass on the Squeezeboxes and docks - mainly because I don't want people to fuss with source selector buttons and crap on the DAC - especially because it is such a large meet and open to more people than usual. The last thing I want is someone going" "no sound", and fussing with the volume control until a selector is switched, and then "boom." Variations of this scenario have actually happened to me at other large "public" meets.

Just going to keep things simple: CD-Player Play Button + Amp Volume Control (at least at the main event - the side events are another thing.)

ADD: I guess what I'm trying to say, and I can't speak for others, but I know at least two other persons bringing TOTL rigs, and I'm pretty sure they are not going to let random people they don't know fuss with their (CD Player based) rigs. So if you want to hear your stuff on 'em, bring a CD.

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #386 of 473
Good advice from experience!  Thanks.  Between the couple of rigs I'm brining, Cee Tee, and Project86's gear well likely need most of it just to get our table up and running without issues. 

Prim packing gear now... Next year I'm bringing an iPod shuffle and some earbuds!  This is crazy!

Quote:

I'm tempted but will ultimately pass on the Squeezeboxes and docks - mainly because I don't want people to fuss with source selector buttons and crap on the DAC - especially because it is such a large meet and open to more people than usual. The last thing I want is someone going" "no sound", and fussing with the volume control until a selector is switched, and then "boom." Variations of this scenario have actually happened to me at other large "public" meets.

Just going to keep things simple: CD-Player Play Button + Amp Volume Control (at least at the main event - the side events are another thing.)

ADD: I guess what I'm trying to say, and I can't speak for others, but I know at least two other persons bringing TOTL rigs, and I'm pretty sure they are not going to let random people they don't know fuss with their (CD Player based) rigs. So if you want to hear your stuff on 'em, bring a CD.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #387 of 473
I'll be getting my Jaben loaners on Friday!

All the Jaben amps i'll be bringing to the meet:

GoVibe Mini Box, GoVibe Martini+, GoVibe Vest Amp, GoVibe Vulcan+[Loaner], GoVibe Magnum[Loaner].

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #388 of 473
Count me in, +1. Went to a Head-Fi meet in NY a few years back and had a grand time, leveled up my ears a few, and have been meaning to check out a local meet since.

Looking through the gear and the only the thing I can contribute are Headphile Terminator V4, Darth Beyer V3, and self-modded MarkL D2000. Hesistant to bring the Darths though since the cables are pretty fragile. If anyone is interested in listening though, I'll look for something suitable to carry them in.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #389 of 473
I'm down! I'll bring along my hd595s and akg k702. Incidentally does anyone want to buy some nice used hd595s? :)
Edit: is anyone bringing a USB amp/dac? I'd love to try an audinst hud-mx1, a hrt headstreamer, and fiio amp/dacs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back