*OFFICAL* Echobox Explorer Review Tour Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

makethemusic

Member of the Trade: Ipsum Innovations
IT'S REVIEW TIME! 

After much anticipation and over a year of showcasing demo units at CanJam's around the world, we are excited to announce that it's time to start getting some official reviews on the Explorer! As I type this we are rolling out the first finished production units to be sent out to the eager hands of our IndieGoGo backers, and will be announcing a global launch date very soon :) 

As is the tradition of Echobox, we rely on the feedback from members of this community to help spread the word about new products. We are a grassroots audio company, and Head-Fi is the definitive grassroots audio community, so we can't wait to hear what you have to say about our long awaited new DAP! 

In order to reach as many people as possible, we will be coordinating full review tours for each of the following regions: 

United States
SE Asia (Singapore, Indonesia, etc...)
S. Korea
Japan
UK
EU

Review time will be limited to 1 week for each region, and each region will be capped at 10 review candidates. Review priority will be granted based on request submission, so the first to request will be the first to receive. We do reserve the right to choose the final review candidates, however, and will be basing our decision off of a few factors including review history, size of audience, influence among audience and desire to review our product. In other words, excitement over the Explorer is something we do not take lightly, so even if you don't have a large review presence we still encourage you to submit a request as you might just get selected! 

Echobox will pay for the initial shipment of the product as well as the return shipment of the product, however all individual shipments in between reviewers must be paid for and handled by the reviewer who is sending out the unit. For example, if Joe Schmo is the first reviewer as part of the tour, when his week is up it is up to him to make sure the unit is sent out to the next person on the list and to make sure that shipping is paid for. As a general courtesy, we would request that you try and ship at the highest priority possible, provided however that the cost of doing so does not break your bank :wink: 

The rules for the review tour are very simple: 

1) Be courteous to your fellow reviewers.
2) When your time is up, please be prompt about sending on the unit. 
3) Please be careful with the Explorer while in your care! If it breaks, you will make other tour members very sad. 
4) If you choose to participate in this tour, you are required to post a full, detailed and honest review of the Explorer. If you love it, please let us know why, and if you don't, tell us that too!

When submitting your review request, please include the following information in this order: 

REVIEW LOCATION (i.e. USA)
SPECIFIC LOCTION (i.e. California, USA or London, UK)
REVIEW RESUME (What are your credentials?)
WHY YOU WANT TO REVIEW THE EXPLORER? (We actually do really really want to know!)

If you are selected, we will ask you for your email so that we may follow up and coordinate the review. If you have any questions, or feel that we are missing some form of information (or are not going about this the right way), please share your opinion here on this thread. 

Can't wait to get some Explorers out on tour and hear your feedback! 

-Sam

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 52
Mar 1, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 52
Wow, that looks really interesting, at present I am going through amplifiers like nobodies business, I just cannot find one that sounds how I want it to sound, so being able to hear what you have to offer would be wonderful!
United Kingdom
Goole, North East area
Only completed a few reviews but I hope they were honest and informative, plus I am getting on a bit and I am looking for a specific sound to assist my old ears!
As I mentioned above, I am looking for a definitive sound, your equipment looks like quality, though I will admit that I have never had to chance to hear any of it.
Here's looking forward to the tour.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/lotoo-paw-5000/reviews/15233

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shanling-m2-hifi-portable-lossless-musicl-player-dsd-player/reviews/14874

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13051

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 52
Mar 1, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 52
This is an interesting opportunity and thank you for the opportunity. I don't really have much experience with DAP's but really want to try some out as I really want to get into the portable game. Really curious how this device will play with my Beyer DT 1990s and Amirons and I'm sucker for the wood design. 

My location is in the United States.
Edmond, Oklahoma

I've done a few reviews but they are mostly headphones. And have been part of a couple tours in the past such as the TTJV Focal Elear one, the Meze 99 Classic one, and the Creative SoundBlaster E5.

http://www.head-fi.org/users/287118/reviews

http://www.head-fi.org/t/691053/review-and-comparison-of-the-200-open-back-underdogs-the-akg-k612-pro-and-the-sony-mdr-ma900

http://www.head-fi.org/t/731773/open-vs-closed-a-review-and-comparison-of-the-akg-k712-pro-and-the-beyerdynamic-dt-150

http://www.head-fi.org/t/781886/dark-trio-audioquest-nighthawk-beyerdynamic-dt-150-and-sennheiser-hd-650

http://www.head-fi.org/t/838972/professional-vs-home-beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 52
Any chance of this being extended to those northerners up in Canuck-ville? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 52
REVIEW LOCATION: USA

SPECIFIC LOCTION: Montgomery, NY

REVIEW RESUME: Here's a link to my reviews thus far: http://www.head-fi.org/users/346809/reviews

WHY YOU WANT TO REVIEW THE EXPLORER?:
For one, this may be the most talked about DAP in a looooong time. My 2 DAP's are VERY long in the tooth, and I am in desperate need of an upgrade. One of the most crucial needs for me is a readable display...my eyes are going. I've heard great things about Echobox and I'd absolutely love some one on one time with the explorer! I'm guessing this could be my endgame DAP.

Thanks for considering me!!

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 52
What the heck I'll throw a submission in :)

Review location: live in Canada, my other half lives in USA. Im down there just about every weekend or two.

Specific Location: BC, but North Idaho; see above. EDIT: I see Canada is now included :)

Review Credentials: None 

Why do you want to review the Explorer: Been excited about the Explorer for a good while. Looking forward to see one of the first high-end Android based DAPs on the market. Combined with the 2 unique factors of the design, and the fact it was made by a start-up. I've been born and raised a tech enthusiast, managed a cell phone store, and now sell tech full time, which does include phones still as a large part of what I do. My sound experience revolves mostly around my small collection of decent cans, freshly built Open Alphas (with self designed waveguides of course :wink: ) and my Schitt audio Mangi 2u and Modi 2U. As well as a set of KEF 104/2 Reference. I think most of my value will be through my extensive experience with phones (and computers), giving a great insight to software and hardware functionality. I believe an important part of a product like this will be how the Android experience and overall user experience stacks up. For example little things like UI smoothness really add a massive touch to making the device feel premium, more so then specs. Of course taking design purpose into account (See: Huawei Nova Plus, vs an S7. The Nova is butter smooth).

Edited March 9th, fixing a few things

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 52
I would love to be able to help and give my detailed impressions for the Explorer!

REVIEW LOCATION: USA

SPECIFIC LOCTION: Southern California

REVIEW RESUME:  Currently I work for Samsung, and although not involved with the handsets per se, I am the Sr. Manager for the United States over all of the Samsung cell site deployments and integrations.  I have had extensive hardware testing experience throughout my career, and would like to start my foray into the reviewing of Audio Gear, most specifically portable audio.  For many years during college (and off and on afterwards) I worked for a high-end audio retailer in San Diego doing sales of such brands as Sumo, Bowers and Wilkins, McIntosh etc, and also done hundreds of custom home installations.  I have used and installed just about any and all types of audio visual equipment over the years as I ran a successful side business doing custom installations as well as computer networking in peoples homes. I have had great success due in no small part to my ability to give my customers fair and balanced recommendations based on my extensive knowledge of consumer electronics as a whole, and how to cater to their individual needs.

WHY YOU WANT TO REVIEW THE EXPLORER? Over the last year, I have collected a large amount of new gear for this hobby in the hopes of starting my own review site, and have the following list of equipment that I have to test with at home and on the go:

Phones:
Samsung S7Edge
Samsung S6Edge
Samsung Note5
Samsung S6
Apple 6s

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD6XX
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD518
AKG K7XX
AKG K533 Pro Studio
Philips Fidelio L2BO/27

IEMs
Thinksound TS02 2 pair one with mic, one without
Thinksound Rain3 again have two pair
Massdrop x HiFiMAN RE-00
Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs  (should be here sometime this month!  Can't wait!)
NuForce HEM2 (or possibly HEM4, HEM6 or HEM8 as I'm expecting them to ship in two days, and don't know which I will get yet!)
Etymotic Research ER6I
Bowers and Wilkins C5

DAC/Amps
Schiit Audio Modi Multibit
Schitt Audio Vali 2
Schiit Audio Jotunheim
Xduoo XD-05

Desktop Ampifiers:
APPJ PA1501A
SMSL 

Desktop Speakers:
Energy Monitor Series 6.5" Bookshelf speakers
Paradigm Monitor Series Bookshelf speakers 8"

All testing of my desktop equipment is done via a Furman power conditioner

Home Audio:
Outlaw Audio Model 5000 amplifier
Outlaw Audio Model 2200 x2 Mono-blocks
Denon AVR-3808CI
Golden Ear Triton 2 pair
Golden Ear SuperSat 50 center
Golden Ear SuperSat 3 x4
Boston Acoustics bookshelf pair
Monster power 5100mkII

All cables for my headphones and speakers I build and terminate myself using either Kimber Kable or other great quality cables along with varied high quality connectors.

I have lots of other retired equipment that I won't mention here since it's not much in use....

My biggest interest is in finding portable equipment that is as good as my home audio/destop setup since I find myself on the go more often these days, and am primarily interested in another option that would be comparable or better than my Xduoo which I really like, but don't like having to carry multiple devices while out and about if at all possible.  I'm debating looking at the Chord Mojo, but this is also a very attractive option that I would be thrilled to test with my many headphone options and phones.  As you can tell from the collection of Thinksound IEMs I have, I really like wood products, they are just sexy. I also like the fact that this is android based, and an all in-one solution that is quite frankly just gorgeous, and would like to have a chance to feel, test and live with it long enough to give my best impressions and review.  I'm also interested in the coaxial output as a way to test with my other desktop equipment as well.  Much to like about the prospects of this device!

I appreciate your time and considerations!

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 52
REVIEW LOCATION - UK
SPECIFIC LOCTION London and Somerset
REVIEW RESUME (What are your credentials?)  I reviewed the Hugo TT on a previous tour (link on my bio page). Reasonably active Headfier.
WHY YOU WANT TO REVIEW THE EXPLORER? (We actually do really really want to know!)  I commute between Somerset and London so portable audio is now a big part of my life. Would like to see how this unit compares to Sony WM1A, Chord Mojo. Plus it looks REALLY COOL

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #13 of 52
REVIEW LOCATION (i.e. USA): Malaysia
SPECIFIC LOCTION (i.e. California, USA or London, UK): Kota Kinabalu
REVIEW RESUME (What are your credentials?): http://www.head-fi.org/users/282150/reviews
WHY YOU WANT TO REVIEW THE EXPLORER? (We actually do really really want to know!)

I had a chance to test one during CanJam SG 16, don't know you guys remember or not, but i gave a Bornoen Post Card that time to you guys :D, hope to hear the device once again, after having tested a number of DAPs currently

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #14 of 52
REVIEW LOCATION - Turkey
SPECIFIC LOCATION Ankara 
REVIEW RESUME (What are your credentials?)  I reviewed Momentum In Ear IEM for a Turkish HI-FI Forum, 
WHY YOU WANT TO REVIEW THE EXPLORER? (We actually do really really want to know!) I am a member of one of the Turkish HI-FI forums, and I will be happy to review this DAP for the forum. I am trying to add some value to the forum with reviews of other IEMs and DAPs. If I will be qualified that will be my first DAP review (I have LG V20 and Meridian Explorer 2, I will be happy to compare vs those sources) 

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 52
Hi Sam,

REVIEW LOCATION: United Kingdom
SPECIFIC LOCTION: London, UK
REVIEW RESUME: Am currently taking part in a review tour set up by @glassmonkey for the Aune M1s DAP, will also be reviewing the Trinity Audio PM6 IEM at the same time.
I have also been asked by John at Noble Audio to review the new Wizard Katana, so a review for that should be coming out shortly too!
So no published reviews yet, but several to follow
WHY YOU WANT TO REVIEW THE EXPLORER? I saw this at CanJam (I think it was?!).
I'm passionate about craftsmanship and good design (as well as great music and audio of course!), so I fell in love with this as soon as I saw it, and would love the chance to try it out for sound too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back