Of Montreal. Anybody listen to them
Mar 29, 2007 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mwallace573

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got the CD "Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?" a week ago, and I can't stop listening to it. One of the first CDs I have heard in a long while where I really didn't have an idea what I was going to hear next. All over the place, but in a good way. Awesome album that I highly recommend. If albums of this caliber keep coming out, 2007 is going to be one heck of a year!

To any fans that might be out there, are any of their other albums any good?

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 15
2007 is already a great great great great great year for music.

You should check out their older albums. The Sunlandic Twins, Satanic Panic in the Attic and everything else.

To me the older albums are better. Yes, I said better!

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 15
Yes I listen to them, you might be able to tell from my avatar. I loved how when the first time I heard this album every song sounded so good right off the bat. I couldn't stop listening to it for about a week. But I was really into Of Montreal before the album came out so that may be why I liked it so much.

Satanic Panic in the Attic is probably considered to be their best album. That one is like Hissing Fauna..., almost every song is good. Most of their albums before that one are kind of different, very whimsical. It wasn't until SPITA that Kevin Barnes started writing and recording all the material by himself so things were understandably different before then.

This is a great band though, definately my favorite at the moment.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 15
Not a bad band to be sure and a good album.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 15
If you like "Hissing Fauna," be sure to get "Satanic Panic" and "The Sunlandic Twins." They really progress and meld into each other. Believe me, the other two will sink equally deep hooks into your brain. I think "Satanic Panic" takes more risks than "Hissing Fauna," and there are a lot of happy surprises.

The earlier stuff... you may or may not like. Lighter, more whimsical and more in the Elephant 6 vein. If you dig that stuff, you'll love it, but don't go in expecting it to be like the last three. Personally, I like it and that's how I got into Of Montreal in the first place. But then "Satanic Panic" came out and blew me away. The other two have, as well, and I'm already eager to hear whatever comes next. But while I wait, at least I'll have these to listen to.

If you want to try something similar loaded with musical surprise, go find a copy of "The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of," by the Starlight Mints. Adventurous (and quirky) like almost no other album, but you'll love it.

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the CD "Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?" a week ago, and I can't stop listening to it. One of the first CDs I have heard in a long while where I really didn't have an idea what I was going to hear next. All over the place, but in a good way. Awesome album that I highly recommend. If albums of this caliber keep coming out, 2007 is going to be one heck of a year!

To any fans that might be out there, are any of their other albums any good?

If you haven't checked out any of the other Elephant 6 collective bands (Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples in Stereo, Elf Power, OTC) you should. Not sure which is closest in feel to Of Montreal, but, Elf Power might be the place to start...

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 15
Yeah, like everyone else has been saying, pick up Satanic Panic and Sunlandic as soon as possible. And then check out the older stuff.

Glad to hear you found some new music you love. It's a really awesome feeling.

Some other bands and albums I would recommend

Architecture in Helsinki- In Case We Die
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah- self-titled
Wolf Parade- Apologies to the Queen Mary

These bands don't sound too similar, but I like them for the same reasons I like Of Montreal so you might be interested. They are all great albums, I think.

Happy listening.

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 15
I saw them live not too long ago with a japanese band (elekibass?). Really amazing show. But i was standing in front of possibly the worlds most gigantic stack of speakers/subs so my ears were sore for a day or two. Totally worth it though. An amazing band, amazing live preformance. I think they are still on that same tour, check their site out to see if they are passing through your town.

-fizz

Mar 30, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 15
I will try to get some of their older stuff as soon as I get some money. Payday has come and gone and I have nothing to show for it.
frown.gif

Of Montreal has been a bit like a breath of fresh air for me. Most of my recent discoveries have been in the area of prog rock and metal, which was starting to get a little stale. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Yes, they are coming to town April 9th! Athens is a bit far for my liking, but I guess I'll just have to suck it up.
icon10.gif
Should be a good show, considering that is their home town (at least where they started anyway).

Edit: It also says they will be on the Conan O'Brien show on the 12th. May have to stay up late for that one.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 15
They get some good airtime on sat. radio.

I like them, but I get sick of their songs pretty fast.

I would put them in with bands like, hot, hot heat, Mew, Silversun Pickup, where after a few times hearing it, they all sound the same, song wise

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They get some good airtime on sat. radio.

I like them, but I get sick of their songs pretty fast.

I would put them in with bands like, hot, hot heat, Mew, Silversun Pickup, where after a few times hearing it, they all sound the same, song wise

Yeah I used to be pretty into them a couple of years ago but I got completely bored of them and deleted their music off my computer. Good band though.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopShelf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where after a few times hearing it, they all sound the same, song wise

I kind of had a similar feeling towards them when I first started listening to their music. I decided to keep listening to them though because I've started to realize that I don't quickly absorb everything in the music if it has dense music arrangements in it. Of Montreal puts layers of instruments and vocals with a lot of effects in pretty much all their songs. I find that if you give it time to where you can really seperate all the stuff going on inside a song with dense arrangements it usually ends up having a good lasting quality to it. That's the way I feel about a lot of psychedelic music, at first it sounds like the band is just trying to be wierd and nothing makes much sense and all the effects sound the same but once you become familiar with it, you find out that there is actually a lot of depth in the music. And further down along the road you find even more stuff that you missed originally.

They put their new album up online here: Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?. I'd give it a few listens through if I was you, they cover a lot of different styles in this album and it's a long stretch from the stuff they first started recording. This is a band with such a vast catologue that to say all their songs sound the same is somewhat nonsensical.

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by icantusefizz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw them live not too long ago with a japanese band (elekibass?). Really amazing show. But i was standing in front of possibly the worlds most gigantic stack of speakers/subs so my ears were sore for a day or two. Totally worth it though. An amazing band, amazing live preformance. I think they are still on that same tour, check their site out to see if they are passing through your town.

-fizz

I saw them live a couple of months ago too, they were incredible. Probably the closest thing I'll ever see to a David Bowie concert from his glamour days. Someone uploaded video footage of a concert from the Sunlandic Twins tour at the Of Montreal forum at e6townhall.com. I hope it's okay to post the link here, here it is:

http://www.adambritt.net/music/ofmonmtrealdvd.mp4

It's in mp4 format so I think you need quicktime or itunes to play it (don't know much about mac software, all I know is that I've watched it in itunes) and it's a huge file, about 675MB but it's some great footage of the complete show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back