Of Hats and Headphones
Feb 14, 2007 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DeadlySpoon

100+ Head-Fier
Since it's winter and all, it's pretty cold outside (especially up here in Ottawa), and I feel like I should be wearing a hat. However, it doesn't really seem like it'd feel "right" to wear a hat with my headphones... It seems like they'd just get in the way of each other and/or end up looking stupid. It just looks like it's one or the other, and, well, dropping the headphones simply isn't an option.

How do your hats interact with your headphones? I'm not talking IEMs or clip-ons, because those are easy to wear with most hats... but full-ish sized headphones? Do you guys wear both? If so, with which type of hats (tuques, ball caps... fedoras?)? Do you put the hat over the headphones, or the headphones over the hat?

Up to now, I've just been using my 'phones as earmuffs, but with the dropping temperatures this is becoming less and less of a viable option.

I'm also curious about this.

Opinions? Testimonies? Horror tales of hat/headphone tragedies?

Feb 14, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 17
Unless it's a ball cap, I don't wear a hat with headphones. It's toque or no toque. With how cold it's been lately, I just use the cans as my earmuffs and make sure to double up with a nice loose hood that will accommodate my giant head AND the headphones.

[EDIT] This is your opportunity to invest in some quality IEMs!

Feb 14, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 17
I wear this hat to protect my baby from drowning in the rain! They don't get in the way at all, they seem to be getting along pretty well!
biggrin.gif

I liked this one because it's pretty wide and stretches so it almost completely covers up my cans.

Feb 14, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wear this hat to protect my baby from drowning in the rain! They don't get in the way at all, they seem to be getting along pretty well!
biggrin.gif

I liked this one because it's pretty wide and stretches so it almost completely covers up my cans.

Is that for real. You really do that. I would think you were wearing earmuffs under the hat, until I caught notice of the wires.

Feb 14, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 17
Usually there is no need for hat when wearing phones, since even if its cold, the most sensitive place is protected anyways, ears. When there is snow, rain. I usually wear my hd280's with snow and for rain I use umbrella. They seem to be pretty resilient to elements.

Saw some people wear hoodies, from their jackets, but I can't stand anything that cuts my field of vision. Maybe I have a hoodie phobia or something, once I had no umbrella and tried wearing it, I gave up in 5 mins. Since I was constantly trying to look behind me and acting all paranoid-like with my field of vision cut off.

Feb 14, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that for real. You really do that. I would think you were wearing earmuffs under the hat, until I caught notice of the wires.

That is real for shure. And yes I am wearing multiple usage earmuffs; the proline 750
eggosmile.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 17
Interesting topic, actually I thought the same thing as the OP awhile back. I like to wear my toque in the winter because it can get pretty cold; around -20C or colder here in Toronto. Full-size cans pretty much double-up as earmuffs. But I still would like to wear my toque and keep my head covered up. Lately I haven't been wearing my toque because they don't really mingle well with my cans. To wear a toque and cans, I would have to put the toque on, then rise the part of the toque covering my ears...doesn't feel right to me. Now I just leave the toque at home and just wear cans.

I was thinking of maybe cutting out holes, where the toque covers your ears, in a cheap toque in way that my can's drivers would be aligned with the holes. Actually instead of cutting holes completely out, you could leave a bit of the hole hanging on the toque, like a flap. That way when you take off your cans for whatever reason, you could put the flaps back so that they cover the holes again. This way people won't point and gawk at the your naked exposed ears. In a way it would be sort of like a cutting holes in earpads to brighten the sound...I guess
biggrin.gif
. I imagine the highs from cans would sparkle a bit more from the extra distance between your cans and your ears, created by the thickness of the toque.

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 17
It's been really cold in Edmonton lately, so I've gone to wearing a toque, headphones (AKG K81DJ), and a hoodie overtop of all that. I pull my toque low and have the headphones go OVER the fabric and my ears. The sound quality goes down a bit, but I don't mind it... better losing SQ than my ears.

I do wear it over baseball caps by having the band of the headphones go further back on my head.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 17
Funny you mention that... the cold weather is one of the reasons I ordered a set of Vibes on Monday! Can't wait for clear music and warm ears...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 17
Contrastique, that's really really cool... You've got me wondering, however, who the hat would fit if they weren't wearing headphones.
blink.gif

Anyway, I like how the hat makes the big Ultrasone's look so, idk, unintrusive? You bet you'll get some weird looks walking down the street in a big pair of Grado's or the like, but that makes all the head gear look like every day attire. Nice job! Should think about doing something similar myself.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #12 of 17
I really should get a hoodie... That seems like the best option out there.

Quality IEMs would be cool but there's no budget for them yet. Before I got my SJ5's they're pretty much the only type of 'phones I had, albeit crappy ones (Sparkplugs and Fontopia's... yuck). I've kind of wanted to go back... but now that I've experienced larger cans I want to stay with them for a while. Maybe when the summer comes and it's too hot for those I'll try out some quality IEMs... but for now, not an option.

Thanks for the replies!

And wow, that's an interesting hat, Contrastique... Well done!

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 17
haha this thread put funny images in my head...

i have never done it, nor will i ever... but if i were to wear my a900s out in public in the winter... i would probably put my beanie on, and my a900s over my beanie. there honestly can't be a way to wear anything OVER the a900s and not look like some sort of alien
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 17
Best hoodie. The Cabelas Polartec 300 hoodie. Pretty good price, hella warm, hood big enough for K-1000s.

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #15 of 17
I'd really like to see a picture of someone wearing some big-ass sennheisers along with a bowler hat or something. Now THAT would be a sight.
Perhaps that is something I'll have to do myself... hmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back