Of Cans and Woman
Feb 8, 2007 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

martinq

100+ Head-Fier
Browsing this forum (and using my ows experiences) I realized one important thing. Woman (wives or gfs) do not generally understand our passion in the good sound provided by the good/large headphones. And most of them do not like the headphones at all.
I mean:
1) you purchase a pair of new cans and she almost immediately will ask you "why the hell did you buy those? you alredy have one (or two
smily_headphones1.gif
) pair."
mad.gif

2) you ask her to listen to them for she will hear their quality and she will deny it with words like: "they are too big and heavy" or "I do not want to damage my hair"
mad.gif

3) if you finally convince her to listen to them, she won't do it with pleasure, but in most cases only to satisfy you and to be able to say: "well, I tried them, are you glad now?"
mad.gif

4) at home she often asks: "why do you listen to them, when we have speakers?"
mad.gif

5) you are listenig to your HD600s in public and some woman/girls will look at you. Will they say: "Wow, nice cans. Are they any good? Can I try them?" or "Wow, they are nasty big. Why don't you use the IEMs like I do?" or they just look at you as at some kind of fool?
mad.gif

Why they do not like (to wear) them?

6) even if there is a female Head-Fi member (or non-member), she often (if not even only) listen to the good cans at home. How many times did you see a girl wearing good/large cans in public? The majority of us never or very seldom (even in large cities or capitals). Are they afraid about the opinion of general public or what?
However, if some female celebrity, recognized for her awsome dress style (e.g. Sienna Miller
icon10.gif
) started to wear them in public (as accesories), other woman who alredy like to copy her style would probably copy also the cans. It is probable, that the woman would wear them only for the design and not the quality of the sound, but even that will be some kind of progress of accepting the Head-Fi passion by females.

Allow me some examples how the cans can be used as accesories:
icon10.gif

a) HD25-1 (red padded, as I have seen in this forum) with e.g. black shoes and skirt/trousers, red top and handbag
wink.gif

b) camouflage ATH-PRO5MS with e.g. military look clothes
wink.gif

c) pink/white TI CHICK Skullcandy with e.g. white outfit and pink shoes and handbag
wink.gif

d) blue/white Ultrasone Proline750 with e.g. white shirt, black jersey, blue jeans and jacket and blue/white handbag
wink.gif
etc.

Of course I do not want to do them (the Head-Fi members) wrong, till now I have spotted in this forum three girls/woman or just female members
smily_headphones1.gif
. However, I hope there is more of them amongst us, so let us know about yourselves. Just to see, the situation is not as bad as it seems.

Allow me some statistics
evil_smiley.gif
:
Estimated population of the USA for 2007 is ca. 300 mil. Let's consider only one per mille of them as Head-Fi (male and female together) i.e. 300 000. Let's consider 1/4 of them as female: it shoud be 75 000 Head-Fi girls (only throughout the US) i.e. 1/4000 of the US population and I'm afraid, I should suppose there are less H-F woman/girls than mentioned number/ratio.
frown.gif

We only should hope, the situation will be better as the time will go by.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 57
my girlfriend does understand it either and she does not verry much affort to do so. haha but hey i'm a young guy i don't care
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 57
My wife hates this hobby for several reasons, but the main two are:

1. The money I spend on it.
2. The isolation. How can I follow orders/listen to her sage advice if I'm listening to my cans, or the even more hated IEMs?

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 57
If they don't understand "our passion for good sound" (which I think we have to grant at least part of this isn't), we may not understand "their passion for design." I have to admit I'm long past patience of members bitching about their wife/girlfriend not understanding why they need five headphones. We don't. It's a hobby. We want. If its was just about music we all would stop upgradis earlier. I know that's not the intent of this thread, but why assume we're normal and they're not? We're the freaks. Sienna Miller wearing headphones for design isn't going to change that.

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Of course I do not want to do them (the Head-Fi members) wrong

Wow that scared me for a second till I read the word after the brackets!

Anyway, I think your view is a bit over generalized, although majority will fit well into the description, atleast most of it.

My girlfriend asks me question 1, but totally appreciates a good quality can, and doesnt copy models/etc. Yes she is conscious of wearing big cans outside, but hey so am I, I wouldnt be walking around with my AT A700's, no way!

I agree mostly to point No.1, about them asking us, "hey I thought you already had one, why did you get another one". But the rest are all meh points, which can go either way. I especially dont agree with the model/actress statement, you must be referring to gals who consider paris hilton or britney spears as role models, either that or you've been watching "beauty and the geek" way too much, but I'm sure that group of ppl couldnt care less about SQ.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 57
In my experience the vast majority of women don't understand most of men's passions. We're in two different worlds sometimes. I don't generally enjoy talking on the phone for longer than one minute, but many women are able to make a hobby out of it. We just like different stuff. I try not to pick on women for what they like and usually that's all that ammunition I need for when female criticism goes on the offensive. I try to focus on the stuff we can both appreciate--like going for walks.

That said, Head-Fi (and this freaking hobby) has made pretty good girlfriend repellent since Nov 2005.

Feb 8, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience the vast majority of women don't understand most of men's passions. We're in two different worlds sometimes. I don't generally enjoy talking on the phone for longer than one minute, but many women are able to make a hobby out of it. We just like different stuff. I try not to pick on women for what they like and usually that's all that ammunition I need for when female criticism goes on the offensive. I try to focus on the stuff we can both appreciate--like going for walks.

That said, Head-Fi (and this freaking hobby) has made pretty good girlfriend repellent since Nov 2005.

Agreed. It seems most of my hobbies seem strange and confusing to my GF. But hers are about the same with me. She doesn't understand me wasting money on my car and bike. I don't understand why I own a set Rachel Ray knives and every accessories known to man for a kitchaid. To her headphones cost 10 bucks @ Walmart. I feel the same wat about her knives.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 57
Next time they ask you why you got another set of HP, ask them why they got another pair of shoes? They only need 1 (or 2 at most) and sometimes they actually own like 4-5. Its not because they need them, its because they want them. Oh and new clothes, why do they need new clothes? Unless they outgrow them or they stop serving their purpose (warmth or covering up, which isnt the best thing on a woman IMO
smily_headphones1.gif
), they have no reason to. Oh and jewelry, they dont need it, its just to look nice. So there ya go, if you ever get bothered, just bring some of that up. either that or go hide in a corner listening to your new headphones, after all, you must have just got them for her to notice, so go enjoy them. Afterwards you might want to take her out to dinner.

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 57
Interesting thread here, from the female Head-Fi members. Tackles the exact issue, too. Please be respectful here, this was a thread that specifically asked for participation from the female population only.

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife hates this hobby for several reasons, but the main two are:

1. The money I spend on it.
2. The isolation. How can I follow orders/listen to her sage advice if I'm listening to my cans, or the even more hated IEMs?

X2 Totall agree! That's just damn eerie!

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting thread here, from the female Head-Fi members. Tackles the exact issue, too. Please be respectful here, this was a thread that specifically asked for participation from the female population only.

They're calling us "leghumpers" over there!!!

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 57
They you come not understanding you wife. She thinks you should have as much "passion for good sound" when she speaks. You don't think her voice is a good sound!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they don't understand "our passion for good sound" (which I think we have to grant at least part of this isn't), we may not understand "their passion for design." I have to admit I'm long past patience of members bitching about their wife/girlfriend not understanding why they need five headphones. We don't. It's a hobby. We want. If its was just about music we all would stop upgradis earlier. I know that's not the intent of this thread, but why assume we're normal and they're not? We're the freaks. Sienna Miller wearing headphones for design isn't going to change that.

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 57
Now I want to know whose wife/GF only has 4-5 pairs of shoes? You mean in each color right?

I find wearing quality IEMs out in public keeps both the wierdos and the strange looks at bay. Of course, my real thought is that the UE-10pros in clear look a lot like hearing aides too. Might be why I get the compassionate looks.

Happily married for nearly 25 years here, she has her buying habits, and I have mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back