Odd request: Single side, mono headphone help
Oct 21, 2009 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
I have one ear that is, for some odd reason, extremely sensitive. Just minutes of listening to headphones at very low levels will cause fatigue and tinnitus. I've been listening with a driver set off one ear for a while but I know I'm missing 1/2 the music. Is there any reason not to wire one speaker in mono by attaching both leads to the terminals? That would probably be the easier way and I could just pack the other cup with sound deadening foam.

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 7
Have you tried using a balance control to lower the signal level to the sensitive ear?
I am unsure what your using but a volume control for each channle may be better then a single channel amplifier. Just a thought..

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried using a balance control to lower the signal level to the sensitive ear?
I am unsure what your using but a volume control for each channle may be better then a single channel amplifier. Just a thought..

The problem is I listen to a lot of older jazz that has almost zero crossfade: The bass and piano in the left ear and the sax and drum kit in the right. Really stark differences if I listen to only one channel.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 7
If you can find one of these, it will solve your problem - stereo adjust each channel and a mono switch ..dB

hzr6.jpg

it is a sennheiser HZR6 ( the newer HZR62 does not have the mono switch )

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 7
The problem with just connecting both sets of output wires to just one of the headphone sides is that the amplifiers will "fight" with each other. The amp for the right channel might want to output 1 volt, and the amp for the left channel might want to output 0 volts, so whichever one can output more current will win.

If you want to do something DIY, you might make a summing amplifier out of op-amps and add the two channels that way.
Op Amp Summing Amplifier
Summing Op Amp - Learning Activity
Operational amplifier applications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back