Odd request: comfortable cans with weak bass response?
Feb 23, 2004 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dSquared

100+ Head-Fier
The search function seems to be broken again, but then again, I'm not even sure how to search for this. . .

I'm looking to buy a pair of budget cans (<$100) for my father, but he's sensitive to bass and likes to listen at low volumes. I know this is weird, but do y'all have recommendations for some cans that de-emphasizes bass without turning it into low level mud? It doesn't matter if the cans are open or closed (no ear buds or canal types). He's going to be using them primary to watch movies, and listen to classical music, both off his laptop (no amp). Comfort is probably the most important thing to him.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 17
Philip HN-100, noise cancellation aside (which is a feature that sorta works, the noise cancellation on these headphone is cheap), it has pretty good high and low range definition and resolution, but not harsh in the high-end. There's very, very little bass... so it might fit your needs.

Most of all, they're circumaural and very comfortable.

Feb 24, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 17
It's a little beyond your budget (but not much if you look around) but may I suggest the Sony F1 -- the most comfortable headphone I've ever seen -- which does have weak bass? You can find it for $150 if you look hard enough.

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 17
AKG 501, Used..... the most comfy, good sounding, with no bass headphones out there. They will need to be amped.

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 17
hey, you're too harsh.
wink.gif
A K401 is ok on a most laptop even witouth an amp, especially if no bass is needed. An amp could bring some bass
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 17
The 280 might work. Once they're broken in, they become very comfortable. As far as bass goes, while it's certainly there and can get quite strong, it is certainly not an overpowering part of their presentation.

Another good option here would be Grado SR60's. Again, they have good bass but the bass isn't overpowering.

Personally I would probably get the 280, they are better for HT, offer fantastic isolation and win out in the comfort area. They are also, in my opinion, a bit better for classical.

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by ReDVsion
AKG K240 Monitor. Minimal bass, still a decent 'phone.

But driven from a laptop, it will only provide minimum volume, too. Maybe a Beyerdynamic DT931...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 17
I'd recommend a Sony Eggo D66 (www.audiocubes.com) if you want a headphone with minimal bass, I'm really dissapointed by these headphone's lack of bass. I'd probably investigate Grado though, I've heard good things Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back