Odd gapless issue with Itunes
Feb 11, 2006 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

keiron99

100+ Head-Fier
I use Itunes. I have a wireless network and an Airport Express connected to my DAC. My main PC is wired via ethernet to the AEX. When I replay music using my main PC, it is gapless. However, when I use my laptop (effectively I'm just using it as a remote control), still playing through the AEX, it is NOT gapless. Can anyone explain why, and how I overcome it?

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I'm guessing you have crossfade on on your main pc and off on the laptop.

Thanks but no, I don't. I have everything unchecked (ie bit perfect playback). This was the reason I got the Express mainly, to do gapless.

Feb 12, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 7
So the music is on the main PC and you just use iTunes' library sharing on the notebook and have it send its signal to the APX, right? Or are you using VNC, controlling iTunes on the stationary PC directly? In every case, see whether you have the latest APX firmware on you unit. It should be V6.3. I have this setup, and playback is gapless.

Feb 13, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Hmm, not sure of some of the terminology there. What happens is when I start up Itunes on the laptop, assuming my main PC is on and Itunes is open on there too, all my music from Ituines on the main PC shows as a playlist on the laptop.

What is VNC by the way?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
In every case, see whether you have the latest APX firmware on you unit. It should be V6.3. I have this setup, and playback is gapless.

In fact I got in such a mess getting my APX to work, I had to get an expert neighbour in. He struggled too! How do I determine what firmware I have on it?

Feb 13, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 7
So much trouble, you're on Windows, right?
wink.gif

Did Apple supply you with a control software for the APX for Windows, or does it use a Broswer-Interface? That, or a device manager also listing network devixes, is where you should find the firmware version. Latest versions available here:
http://www.apple.com/support/airport/

VNC=Virtual Network Computing. It means that you set up a server and use a client to display what is happening on the server as if you were using the server itself. What you are using is the regular iTunes library sharing. Very smooth to set up & use, but of course your server will not update playcounts and you cannot manipulate playlists etc. as you could with a VNC setup.

Feb 15, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 7
OK this is driving me nuts (like all things Apple when I try to do them on my PC).

I have downloaded the latest firmware, thanks for the link, but to no avail. Can anyone else shed any light on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back